An Old School Catholic Message Board

Those Discerning Religious Life

tnavarro61

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1305580947' post='2242498']
Oh do they!!!

Haha, the SSVMs [i]definitely[/i] drink coffee!! Thank goodness!! When I was visiting at a mission house, they even allowed us to go downstairs and have a glass of coffee before Adoration and breakfast!! Otherwise coffee is served at breakfast and merienda (snack). Decaf coffee and tea are available at dinner time.
[/quote]

Weren't the SSVMs founded in Argentina? ;)

[quote name='Yaatee' timestamp='1305661540' post='2242921']
Weren't the SSVMs founded in Argentina? ;)
[/quote]

Yes they were.

TrinityFanGuyVT

I love these men and women. They are such a needed voice for orthodoxy and Catholic humanity. I contacted the IVE vocation director last summer but never heard back. I know God wants me to be a Carmelite though haha, we kind of share the same spirited attitude haha. Prayers to all y'all discerning with the Sisters and IVE's!

[quote name='TrinityFanGuyVT' timestamp='1305672536' post='2243010']
I love these men and women. They are such a needed voice for orthodoxy and Catholic humanity. I contacted the IVE vocation director last summer but never heard back. I know God wants me to be a Carmelite though haha, we kind of share the same spirited attitude haha. Prayers to all y'all discerning with the Sisters and IVE's!
[/quote]

:wave: Hi! I don't think I've "met" you! Would you like to share about the communities you are discerning?

TrinityFanGuyVT

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1305753610' post='2243324']
:wave: Hi! I don't think I've "met" you! Would you like to share about the communities you are discerning?
[/quote]

Hi nice to meet you! I don't wanna hijack this thread so I'll keep it brief lol. I've discerned with the Carmelites, Trinitarians, Augustinians and Companions of the Cross. At this point I'm all but certain God wants me to be a Carmelite friar.

To Jesus Through Mary

I just gotta say that Mother Lumen (SSVM VD for NY I guess?) is so down to earth!! I have only talked with her via email, but she is so relaxed and real. I guess sometimes when I've corresponded with other religious orders and they were kinda formal (which I expected in a way). I just real appreciate it, helps me let my guard down and less apprehensive about meeting her!

So I am going on one of their youth festival this coming weekend (she assures me other young adults go) and then June 7-10th for a discernment retreat with them! I am very excited!!!

(Anyone on PM happen to be going to their youth festival upstate NY?)

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='To Jesus Through Mary' timestamp='1306110961' post='2244644']
I just gotta say that Mother Lumen (SSVM VD for NY I guess?) is so down to earth!! I have only talked with her via email, but she is so relaxed and real. I guess sometimes when I've corresponded with other religious orders and they were kinda formal (which I expected in a way). I just real appreciate it, helps me let my guard down and less apprehensive about meeting her!

So I am going on one of their youth festival this coming weekend (she assures me other young adults go) and then June 7-10th for a discernment retreat with them! I am very excited!!!

(Anyone on PM happen to be going to their youth festival upstate NY?)
[/quote]

Avvesome!! Yes, M. Lumen is [i]incredibly[/i] down to earth. Very phlegmatic. She's wonderful!

I wish I were going! Alas, I live too far away. Have fun, though! Many prayers for you! :nunpray:

PS I just got an e-mail from an SSVM friend of mine who is Mother of a convent in Guyana. Made my day! :dance:

• 3 weeks later...
FutureSister2009

Okay so I don't think I'm going to the Mission with them :sad: but I still want to meet them, mainly just to meet them! They seem so great and I'd just like to see what their lifestyle is like. I'm going to have to try to see if there's any other options for visiting them sometime soon.