An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Are Your Lenten Resolutions?

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1299603160' post='2219180']
:o

i'm copying the horarium of my Dom Sisters beginning tomorrow morning...that means waking up at 5 a.m.!!!! :D

WOOT!!!
[/quote]

That takes some serious dedication. Not sure I am ready to do that quite yet, well not considering I will be writing my senior thesis during lent which means I may well be up until 5am.

That is amesome that you're doing it! I'll pray for your alarm clock and its survival. lol

franciscanheart

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1299603160' post='2219180']
:o

i'm copying the horarium of my Dom Sisters beginning tomorrow morning...that means waking up at 5 a.m.!!!! :smile2:

WOOT!!!
[/quote]
:o I'm following the CFR schedule. :clapping:

[quote name='CherieMadame' timestamp='1299637106' post='2219378']
God bless you all on your Lenten journeys. All of you here in discernment will be especially in my prayers this Lent. Those discerning religious life always hold a special place in my heart and in my prayers. May God grant you a fruitful Lent and a glorious Easter!
[/quote]
So grateful! Thank you! I pray God grants you the same. :love:

DiscerningSoul

I gave up giving things up :)
However I started to veil for Mass during Lent once, time to up the anti to full time vieling! Yikes did I just say that? yeah I did.
Full time vieling! WOOT! :nunpray:

Edited by DiscerningSoul

[quote name='DiscerningSoul' timestamp='1299645971' post='2219420']
I gave up giving things up :)
However I started to veil for Mass during Lent once, time to up the anti to full time vieling! Yikes did I just say that? yeah I did.
Full time vieling! WOOT! :nunpray:
[/quote]

Forgive my ignorance but I do not understand the veiling thing. Can someone please explain?

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='CherieMadame' timestamp='1299637106' post='2219378']
Since we're on the subject of French hymns, do you also know "Dors Ma Colombe"? That is one of my absolute favorites, and it's really meant to be a lullaby (albeit a Christmas one) too! :love:

God bless you all on your Lenten journeys. All of you here in discernment will be especially in my prayers this Lent. Those discerning religious life always hold a special place in my heart and in my prayers. May God grant you a fruitful Lent and a glorious Easter!
[/quote]

I do not know that one....My knowledge of French hymns/songs comes from a Cajun women's group, Les Amie Louisianes. They met at a church choir festival, I think. All of their songs are beautiful. Their second cd (I think) is all church hymns. I could listen all day!

[quote name='emilier98' timestamp='1299650149' post='2219438']
Forgive my ignorance but I do not understand the veiling thing. Can someone please explain?
[/quote]

I'm quite sure DiscerningSoul is referring to the traditional practice of women covering their head at Mass, in the the Presence of the Blessed Sacrament.

Usually this means wearing a chapel veil (a lace veil), but it can also mean covering one's head with a scarf, hat, or other form of appropriate head covering.

Giving up ice cream sandwiches, which have been my comfort food through this difficult semester of coursework. I intend to update my blog at least once a week on spiritual matters during Lent as a devotion. :)

DiscerningSoul

[quote name='CherieMadame' timestamp='1299683953' post='2219520']
I'm quite sure DiscerningSoul is referring to the traditional practice of women covering their head at Mass, in the the Presence of the Blessed Sacrament.

Usually this means wearing a chapel veil (a lace veil), but it can also mean covering one's head with a scarf, hat, or other form of appropriate head covering.
[/quote]
Yes I wear a lace chapel veil for Mass but the rest of the time I plan to wear some kind of scarf or bandana. :dance:

[quote name='DiscerningSoul' timestamp='1299703241' post='2219613']
Yes I wear a lace chapel veil for Mass but the rest of the time I plan to wear some kind of scarf or bandana. :dance:
[/quote]

I understand wearing a chapel vail at mass, I see lots of older women do it, but why veil the rest of the time. The lovely young lady who posted the video about her entering a Carmelite monastery talked about veiling all the time too and I don't understand it. I thought only religious wore veils full time.

Divine Mercy 9999

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1299384959' post='2218445']

+Fast from judging others ... feast on the Christ indwelling in them.
[i]It is easy to judge others and not ourselves. Let us purify ourselves of this today and share in the piece of Christ that is in each person we meet.[/i]

+Fast from emphasis on differences ... feast on the unity of life.
[i]We are called to unite our sufferings especially during this Lenten season. Let us gather together and bear our crosses as one people in the name of Christ.[/i]

+Fast from apparent darkness ... feast on the reality of light.
[i]It is easy to be burdened by troubles of this world but let us not forget the ever radiant light which is God's love for us.[/i]

+Fast from thoughts of illness ... feast on the healing power of God.
[i]Let us shift our focus from our physical pains and realize more deeply the spiritual healing God makes available to us, especially in the sacrament of reconciliation.[/i]

+Fast from words that pollute ... feast on phrases that purify.
[i]Especially during this season let us question ourselves on everything we think, do, or say: Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?[/i]

+Fast from discontent ... feast on gratitude.
[i]Praise God and give thanks for His abundant blessings. Let us rejoice in our dry periods and hold fast to the grace and mercy of God.[/i]

+Fast from anger ... feast on patience.
[i]It is easy to be angry and more challenging to be patient. During this season, let us work more than ever on the virtue of patience (and charity).[/i]

+Fast from pessimism ... feast on optimism.
[i]When things aren't going our way we hiss and pout. Let us instead find the lessons in each thing we do, whether they happen according to our preference or not.[/i]

+Fast from worry ... feast on divine order.
[i]When things get us down it is difficult to remember the bright side of this. Let us pray for confidence in Him and ask for our hearts to be molded to His Divine Will.[/i]

+Fast from complaining ... feast on appreciation.
[i]God has blessed each of us abundantly. Let us be appreciative of each hidden blessing and not allow our sour attitudes ruin a chance for grace and growth.[/i]

+Fast from negatives ... feast on affirmatives.
[i]This Lent, instead of criticizing or fingering each wrong decision, let us provide those whom we love with affirmations of their purposeful strides to overcome sin and attain sainthood.[/i]

+Fast from unrelenting pressures ... feast on unceasing prayer.
[i]If we live each moment as a prayer we should more appropriately and successfully accomplish those things which are in line with His Divine Will.[/i]

+Fast from hostility ... feast on resistance.
[i]Let us this Lent resist the temptation to foster hostility. Let us shine forth at all times the light of Christ's love.[/i]

+Fast from bitterness ... feast on forgiveness.
[i]Let go of trivial emotions which hinder forgiveness. God who is all loving and all good forgives each of those who seek reconciliation. Let us not deny our brothers and sisters in Christ.[/i]

+Fast from self-concern ... feast on compassion for others.
[i]So many times we are self-centered and self-loving. Let us this Lent turn from our own needs and offer our attention to the needs of the lowliest of these.[/i]

+Fast from personal anxiety ... feast on eternal truth.
[i]It is easy to be consumed in this world by the trials of daily life. Let us seek out His promises and hold fast to them always.[/i]

+Fast from discouragement ... feast on hope.
[i]Do not dispair. God has a plan and in it there is much hope. Believe that He knows better than even ourselves what is best. Trust Him and He will see you through.[/i]

+Fast from facts that depress ... feast on truths that uplift.
[i]Instead of dwelling on the negatives of our surroundings, we should seek out the truths that inspire and uplift us. Let us not seek our own depression but do everything in our power to remain hopeful.[/i]

+Fast from lethargy ... feast on enthusiasm.
[i]Productiveness in faith is the most important in all of our lives. Let us enthusiastically learn about our faith and grow closer to our God.[/i]

+Fast from suspicion ... feast on truth.
[i]Speculation and assumption should be left to the lawyers of the world. Instead of harboring ill thoughts due to suspicion, rejoice in what you know.[/i]

+Fast from thoughts that weaken ... feast on promises that inspire.
[i]The devil will tempt us and lead us to feel and think we are alone and abandoned. Turn from the evil one and remember what God has promised us.[/i]

+Fast from shadows of sorrow ... feast on sunlight of renity.
[i]Sorrowful distractions are from the evil one and prevent us from focusing on the healing power and the overwhelming mercy of our God. Let us turn from these and focus on Christ in the Eucharist. He who saves us will comfort us.[/i]

+Fast from idle gossip ... feast on purposeful silence.
[i]Let us refrain from anything that is not kind, true, and necessary. Let us spend this time quietly in the everlasting presence of God.[/i]
If we can do these things I believe our Lenten season will be truly blessed. Think about it. Use it. ENJOY IT. [All of the italicized text are my own words. I despair at their inadequacy but recognize a chance to grow in humility. I pray my efforts are not in vain but rather prove to be a grace from God.]

Sts. Francis and Clare, pray for us! St. Thomas Aquinas, the dumb ox, pray for us! St. Maria Goretti, pray for us! St. John of the Cross, pray for us! All the angels and saints, pray for us!

[/quote]

This is a nice reflection. I'm reading the Diary of St Faustina over the course of Lent. I think God is trying to get me to understand what it is to be loved by Him. :) A happy and productive Lent to everyone.

Studiumecclesiae

For this lent I am re-reading the Catechism due to my religious ignorance.
I am also re-reading the Rule of St Benedict :blowkiss: and trying to pray more and fast on Fridays, (not too harsh).
I'm also trying to read spiritual books rather than secular ones, and to stop wasting my time on non-edifying things.

More fruitful apostolate, being faithful to my prayer life, doing my work well, bringing more friends to Confession, exercise and learning new sports, and keeping my temper at bay :blush:

kavalamyself

I am trying really hard to do an examination of my conscience at the end of each day, and write my thoughts down.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1299552686' post='2219014']
Since I am still considering Consecrated Virginity, I'm planning to read the biographies of my favorite consecrated virgin saints, St. Catherine of Siena and St. Rose of Lima. I already wrote a little biography on my new blog (which is also part of my Lenten resolution) about St. Catherine.

[url="http://littlelambofgod.xanga.com/"]http://littlelambofgod.xanga.com/[/url]

Also, I plan to read more about the documents and really try hard to live a chaste and pure life by abstaining from impure movies and television. There is so much sex in entertainment these days, and I don't need the temptations. :)
[/quote]

Technically St. Catherine of Siena didn't recieve the Rite of Consecration of Virgins, not sure about St. Rose of Lima but as far as I'm aware of she didn't either. Just to clarify. By the way, I'm pretty seriously discerning consecrated virginity so if you want feel free to PM me. Though I have to say I'm kind of busy finishing up my senior year of college so I may not be the best at responding especially as it gets closer to the end.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Shana' timestamp='1301965966' post='2226004']
Technically St. Catherine of Siena didn't recieve the Rite of Consecration of Virgins, not sure about St. Rose of Lima but as far as I'm aware of she didn't either. Just to clarify. By the way, I'm pretty seriously discerning consecrated virginity so if you want feel free to PM me. Though I have to say I'm kind of busy finishing up my senior year of college so I may not be the best at responding especially as it gets closer to the end.
[/quote]

No, you're right. I made an error. I discovered this later and posted it somewhere else. I discovered the same--that St. Catherine and St. Rose did not receive consecrated virgin status. The way that a biography was written on both of them, I mistook what I read. They both made a [i][b]private vow of perpetual virginity[/b][/i] which is not canonically recognized, but important nonetheless. :)

I'm also pretty sure that I am not called to Consecrated Virginity. I am discerning a vocation to religious life again.

Edited by MaterMisericordiae