An Old School Catholic Message Board

Olam Comunity In Hanceville Al

Guest nunofthat

kavalamyself

I really hope that someone will answer this question honestly and with prudence and not jump all over the OP. I think this phorum's best use is offer "real information" for those of us in active discernment and these kinds of questions are really important. No need for scandalous repeating of rumors or guessing. If you know, please answer honestly without embellishment. That way there cannot be any problems and it could certainly help a lot of folks. And I speak from experience because I really wish someone had given me information before I entered the place I ended up in. I would have been able to make my decisions in a more informed manner. Thanks.

[quote name='kavalamyself' timestamp='1299007260' post='2216838']
I really hope that someone will answer this question honestly and with prudence and not jump all over the OP. I think this phorum's best use is offer "real information" for those of us in active discernment and these kinds of questions are really important. No need for scandalous repeating of rumors or guessing. If you know, please answer honestly without embellishment. That way there cannot be any problems and it could certainly help a lot of folks. And I speak from experience because I really wish someone had given me information before I entered the place I ended up in. I would have been able to make my decisions in a more informed manner. Thanks.
[/quote]

Kavala, if you are interested in them, I would search out old posts on Phat or maybe catholic.forums.com (using OLAM or Hanceville as search words), find posters who have been there or appear to be knowledgable, and PM them for more info. I do know that OLAM went through a considerable upheaval with Mother stepped down, there was a major split with the new superior, and another outside religious had to be brought in as acting superior, whom think was Benedictine (!) This info is on previous posts. I do observe that there appears to be fewer entering than a few years ago. I don't know if any professed members have left, however, except to make new foundations.

I agree that I would like all the facts prior to entering, but unless you know people who are willing to tell you what they know, you are going to have a hard time finding out.

• 3 weeks later...

It's complicated. If you're thinking about joining, write to the superior and ask for more information. Otherwise, just keep them in your prayers and keep in mind that since they are cloistered privacy is very important to maintain. God bless :)

[quote name='kavalamyself' timestamp='1299007260' post='2216838']
[/quote]

As a former sister there, I can tell you that sometimes the best thing for a community is not for the facts to be presented blatantly to the public. It's not something secretive, but as a cloistered community it's not doing any service to the sisters there to publicize everything on a popular, public website. It's really nobody's business except those who are considering joining, in which case all of the facts should be presented without embellishment [i]from the superior[/i]. I wish you all the best.

I think it is not good to talk abut problems on a public site. If anyone has concerns, he or she must go to the community and ask them. Trust the Good Lord.

I disapprove of speaking about the problems here on forums because it's like gossiping. I' sorry if this is kinda strong and I do not mean to hurt anyone here. But let's put it this way, would you be happy if people who wants to know you asks other persons to talk about what's wrong with you?

Edited by tnavarro61

[quote name='tnavarro61' timestamp='1300518690' post='2221687']
I think it is not good to talk about problems on a public site. If anyone has concerns, he or she must go to the community and ask them. Trust the Good Lord.

I disapprove of speaking about the problems here on forums because it's like gossiping. I' sorry if this is kinda strong and I do not mean to hurt anyone here. But let's put it this way, would you be happy if people who wants to know you asks other persons to talk about what's wrong with you?
[/quote]

I disagree. I think that questions regarding the status of communities is completely legitimate. That said, I doubt that reliable information would be present here. It is possible, however, that members with such information could contact posters privately, or suggest possible sources of reliable information, which I have done in this case.

The serious inquirer has a great deal at stake in finding out as much as possible about a community before entering it. Questions about a community's status does not necessarily reflect idle gossip. Especially in the case of cloistered communities, it can be very difficult to obtain reliable important information regarding that community's status. I think that it is an obligation of vowed members of communities who are talking with discerners to be very frank and up front regarding recent transitions in the community. I heard recently about one woman who entered a community, and when she was a novice, her community merged with another group that she had previously rejected. It turned out that her community [i]was already in the process of merging [/i]when she had entered, but no one had bothered to tell her. She later left the merged group.

The decision to enter religious life is a very important one. The application process itself involves a major effort, in addition to leaving school or a job, an apartment, possibly selling a house, selling a car, leaving friends and family behind, pulling up stakes. Most discerners could better decide if they want to spend a lot of time and money for necessary travel, visits, live-ins, etc., if they found out that the community was in the midst of a painful transition, and knew some of the details. With this information the discerner could make a much better informed decision regarding her /his application.

Edited by Yaatee

Debra Little

[quote name='Totus Tuus' timestamp='1300407632' post='2221454']
As a former sister there, I can tell you that sometimes the best thing for a community is not for the facts to be presented blatantly to the public. It's not something secretive, but as a cloistered community it's not doing any service to the sisters there to publicize everything on a popular, public website. It's really nobody's business except those who are considering joining, in which case all of the facts should be presented without embellishment [i]from the superior[/i]. I wish you all the best.
[/quote]

amen

Debra Little

[quote name='Totus Tuus' timestamp='1300407632' post='2221454']
[/quote]

amen

[quote name='Debra Little' timestamp='1300673289' post='2222011']
amen
[/quote]

I agree. This forum is not the proper venue. But I think that it's important for the serious discerner to find out.

Debra Little

In a way it is secretive. I know the community where I was wishes things to be kept in the community, not to be aired to be the public at all.

Guest nunofthat

I am reminded of the joke about the kid who asks his Mom "Where do I come from".....whereby the mom gives a lengthy explanation of sex, egg, sperm, birth etc. After all this, the kid replies, "Oh. Well, my friend Johnny told me he comes from Cleveland".

I was not asking for/trying to incite gossip, scandal, rumors.....nor was I wishing to invade anything private regarding OLAM. I get their newsletter. From the simple fact that they HAVE a newsletter, freely giving news, updates, info and anecdotes, I assumed they want/encourage at least somewhat of a connection with their readers. As one of their readers, I have noticed that MANY of the nuns have disappeared, several solemnly professed.....and it is obvious that the nun officiating at ceremonies is not a Poor Clare. So....I think it is natural to question this. I just wanted to know what happened, in a general way.....and where did the missing ones go (I thought maybe different foundations, etc.?). I enjoyed keeping up with all of them, and miss them/the way it was. That is all. Sorry to have caused a small uproar, not my intention! Peace.

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='Debra Little' timestamp='1300673289' post='2222010']
amen
[/quote]

Ditto: Communities need their privacy and space to work out their own difficulties. They are only human too and i doubt if anyone here would want their personal business on the front page of a newspaper for others to gossip about. Better to pray more for them and talk less about them.

If a discerner has questions, then let her get it straight from the horses mouth.

[quote name='nunofthat' timestamp='1300738240' post='2222124']
I am reminded of the joke about the kid who asks his Mom "Where do I come from".....whereby the mom gives a lengthy explanation of sex, egg, sperm, birth etc. After all this, the kid replies, "Oh. Well, my friend Johnny told me he comes from Cleveland".

I was not asking for/trying to incite gossip, scandal, rumors.....nor was I wishing to invade anything private regarding OLAM. I get their newsletter. From the simple fact that they HAVE a newsletter, freely giving news, updates, info and anecdotes, I assumed they want/encourage at least somewhat of a connection with their readers. As one of their readers, I have noticed that MANY of the nuns have disappeared, several solemnly professed.....and it is obvious that the nun officiating at ceremonies is not a Poor Clare. So....I think it is natural to question this. I just wanted to know what happened, in a general way.....and where did the missing ones go (I thought maybe different foundations, etc.?). I enjoyed keeping up with all of them, and miss them/the way it was. That is all. Sorry to have caused a small uproar, not my intention! Peace.
[/quote]

Well, we know that five are in AZ, the desert nuns. Is there a new foundation in TX? Others may have gone to shore up other foundations, and would still be wearing the PCPA habit, so might be identifiable. Two are on sabbatical. This may account for quite a few.