An Old School Catholic Message Board

Olam Comunity In Hanceville Al

Guest nunofthat

Remember, too, that the novitiate is a time for discernment, and if a Sister and the Community discovers she does not have a religious vocation, many leave during that time. Especially with OLAM, since they are so public, they have attracted many vocations, and I'm sure just the normal rhythm of Sisters leaving during novitiate can account for some of the Sisters that you have seen from their newsletters that are no longer there. This happens with many (if not all!) communities, also in places like the Nashville Dominicans, where they have a huge number of postulants; not all these Sisters will persevere to final profession, and that is completely normal. It's not always a bad or tragic thing for a Sister to leave! :)

I do understand your wondering, nunofthat, it is natural. While the public sphere is certainly not a place for discussion of any community's particular problems, it can help to know that: yes, some have gone to other foundations; some have left during the novitiate; and if any others have left who were Solemnly Professed, it was a situation between herself, God, and the Community. :)

• 5 months later...
Guest John Duns Scotus

[quote name='Totus Tuus' timestamp='1300407632' post='2221454']
As a former sister there, I can tell you that sometimes the best thing for a community is not for the facts to be presented blatantly to the public. It's not something secretive, but as a cloistered community it's not doing any service to the sisters there to publicize everything on a popular, public website. It's really nobody's business except those who are considering joining, in which case all of the facts should be presented without embellishment [i]from the superior[/i]. I wish you all the best.
[/quote]

[quote name='Debra Little' timestamp='1300673289' post='2222010']
amen
[/quote] I am also a former sister, who spent a long time there. My advice to anyone considering this community and who wants to make a visit there would be to candidly discuss any reservations with the superior. Pray to the Holy Spirit for discernment and seek spiritual direction from a competent, holy person. Based on my experience, I would recommend that you visit the foundation communities in San Antonio and Charlotte, NC.

Totally Franciscan

John Duns Scotus, I was wondering if you could shed some light on the San Antonio foundation. There is nothing in their website about vocations to their community. I seem to recall reading somewhere that this community is involved with Anglicans coming into the Roman Catholic Church with Sr. Grace Marie as superior. Are they accepting new PCPA vocations to this foundation and is this now their focus. Thanks so much.

" I would recommend that you visit the foundation communities in San Antonio and Charlotte, NC."

I am good friends with the nuns at St. Joseph Monastery in Charlotte, formerly of Portsmouth, OH. Two nuns did go to revitalize the community, but one has returned to Hanceville. One junior professed sister had to leave Hanceville due to health issues, but she is now a junior professed sister in Charlotte. Of the 5 that started the foundation in Phoenix, only 4 remain. One junior professed sister returned to Hanceville and has not been seen for a long time.Also, one solemnly professed sister went to Phoenix, but she is gone as is her vocation story on their blog. Five sisters left to form the Monastery of St. Michael in San Antonio. I don't have any contact with those sisters. If you are at all familiar with the PCPA's in Hanceville, all you have to do is look at their community photo today as compared to one just a year or two ago. A picture says a thousand words.
And I completely agree, to get the entire "backstory" on why there appears to be so many sisters leaving, it would be best to speak to their Vocation Directress or their acting Abbess.

• 10 years later...

I read that many nuns left - or rather, were weeded out - because they were too tradition - minded.  At one point there were 45 nuns, now perhaps 8.  There has been a long going push against EWTN for being traditional Catholic, and it seems that now with Mother Angelica in heaven, the Apostolic Visitation and Commission, and an outside Mother Superior - a Benedictine - are trying to bring EWTN to a modern Catholic  mindset and suppression of any Tradition - leading to few acceptable vocations, sadly.

This is rather old news.  Did you perhaps hear this from an online report of late?  A You Tube video of a priest being interviewed?  HIs information is not entirely correct nor is it reflective of "real time."

The visitation was done years ago and steps were taken at that time to deal with the nun who dismissed many nuns whom she either thought had no vocation or whose views she didn't agree with.  She hasn't been there for years.

The nuns in Charlotte were recalled to OLAM and Mother Dolores Marie from Charlotte replaced Mother Angelica.  Enough time has passed, new elections were held (last month, I believe) and there is now a new Superior.

BTW, a few nuns went to their foundation in France.

Perhaps you should read their blog, Image and Likeness, and see what's new.  And yes, there have been several vocations in the past few years!  Deo gracias

Please do not post about this Order (or any others) if you do not have first-hand, current information. It spreads false information and tarnishes the reputation of the Order.

Sr. Mary Paschal, who entered the monastery under M. Angelica, is now Mother Mary Paschal, the new abbess. 

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/248546/mother-angelicas-monastery-elects-new-abbess-asks-for-continued-prayers

As you can see on their home page, there are now 14 nuns at the Abbey, including a new novice. It is very, very easy to find this information, rather than simply throwing out conjectures.  https://olamnuns.com/

I remember Raymond Arroryo writing about it in one of Mother Angelica's books and articles. A lot of drama and all that, but nothing "bad". Convents shouldn't be secretive. Some were told they didn't have a "real" vocation, some went to other convents, some left, some stayed. Things were different when Mother got sick and then died.

I don't personally like the way Raymond's writing has been lately and haven't read anything recent but I wouldn't think he would lie being so tied to EWTN.

Edited by debc

On 3/22/2011 at 6:40 AM, Guest nunofthat said:

I am reminded of the joke about the kid who asks his Mom "Where do I come from".....whereby the mom gives a lengthy explanation of sex, egg, sperm, birth etc. After all this, the kid replies, "Oh. Well, my friend Johnny told me he comes from Cleveland".

:lol3: