An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Community/communities Are You Discerning With?

Cherie

I'm sure there are many threads on the subject, and I remember starting one myself a while ago, but since there have been quite a few new members of VS I thought I would ask again.

Early in my own discernment, I always loved to chat with other discerners and see where they felt God was calling them, and why. It was a bit of encouragement, plus I learned a lot about other communities that way, some I hadn't heard of.

So, if you are so inclined to let us know, what communities are you discerning with? Have you visited or wrote to them yet? Anything that particularly draws you to them?

For all you discerning consecrated life, as always, you are in my thoughts and prayers! :)

OnlySunshine

I'm not discerning an actual religious community since I am not called to be a Sister, but I am discerning the vocation to Consecrated Virginity and/or third order Dominicans. The problem is, I know of no third order Dominican groups in my hometown, so I may have to wait until I get finished with college and move away from home before I am able to seriously discern with them. The reason I am drawn to Consecrated Virginity is because I think it is a really beautiful vocation, and would allow me to emulate the Blessed Virgin Mary more closely. I love the Dominicans because of St. Catherine of Siena and St. Rose of Lima. :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

OnlySunshine

Actually, I do know of a community of Dominicans, but they meet too far away (about 50 miles). I am not working right now, so I will have to wait until I could afford gas again.

I am discerning with the Dominicans as a sister. I am in serious conversations with the Dominican Sisters of San Rafael, the Adrian Dominicans, the Dominican Sisters of Mission San Jose, and the DSMMEs. I am, God willing, going to visit the Dominican Sisters of San Rafael and the Dominican Sisters of Mission San Jose this summer. Should I find the money I am also visiting the Adrian Dominicans this summer.

I love the Dominicans because of their charism and how each community lives out that charism in different ways, their motto, and their diversity. People tend to think that Dominicans only teach, but they do so many more things than teach. Also the Dominicans are truly brothers and sisters. Even though each community is different and independent, if you are a Dominican no matter where you go you always have brothers and sisters that will help you out.

I cannot wait for the summer when I can meet the sisters.

LaPetiteSoeur

I'm sort of discerning lots of orders...

At first, at least last summer, I was sure I was called to the NDs. But now, I think I'm being led to consider other communities. Prayers this way? Please?

Thanks!

We should ask Lil Red to do the discerning/entering update thing.

:nunpray:

I've been discerning the Sister Servants. I've never loved an order as much as this one. I hope this is THE one. Please pray that they will be accepting of my health issues and medicines.

Edited by JoyfulLife

I'm discerning with the DSMME's, but also feel called to at least see the Carmelite DCJs in Wisconsin. There are some things that I have to work on before entering is a possibility, but have felt more certainty that religious life is God's will for me!!! :) He is soooooooooo good!!!! ( just got back from adoration :love: )

Prayers for all of you discerning!

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1299792121' post='2219911']
I'm discerning with the DSMME's, but also feel called to at least see the Carmelite DCJs in Wisconsin. There are some things that I have to work on before entering is a possibility, but have felt more certainty that religious life is God's will for me!!! :) He is soooooooooo good!!!! ( just got back from adoration :love: )

Prayers for all of you discerning!
[/quote]

Praised be Jesus Christ! I discerned with the Carmelites in Wisconsin in 2009. I was in the application stage with them at the time and lived with them for a few days. I would definitely recommend them as good order. They have apostolates with children with emotional and family issues and also caring for the elderly and infirm in convalescent homes. Sr. Maria Giuseppe is their Provincial Superior. Sr. Immaculata is the novice mistress and former superior--she is amazing. Although I eventually discerned I was not called there, I think very highly of them. One of my friends is now a novice with the very same order. I also have another friend who is also a novice in the Central Province. :)

franciscanheart

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1299791377' post='2219900']
I'm sort of discerning lots of orders...

At first, at least last summer, I was sure I was called to the NDs. But now, I think I'm being led to consider other communities. Prayers this way? Please?

Thanks!

We should ask Lil Red to do the discerning/entering update thing.

:nunpray:
[/quote]
I can do that. :like:

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1299793133' post='2219919']
I can do that. :like:
[/quote]

I know Lil Red gave up on updating the pinned list because she doesn't have the time for it anymore... There is a thread somewhere with a few updates that have yet to be updated...

franciscanheart

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' timestamp='1299796306' post='2219940']
I know Lil Red gave up on updating the pinned list because she doesn't have the time for it anymore... There is a thread somewhere with a few updates that have yet to be updated...
[/quote]
No problem. :) I understand that list getting daunting, I gave up on it once before Red started the new one. :P I'll try to find that thread and compare lists later this evening.

Re: the original post
I have sent off the "first" application (for a come-and-see visit) to the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal in NYC. (CFRs) :like:

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1299797329' post='2219947']
I have sent off the "first" application (for a come-and-see visit) to the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal in NYC. (CFRs) :like:
[/quote]

That is wonderful, franciscanheart!! :clapping:

I am discerning with the Sister Servants of the Eternal Word. I have visited them. I do write to them.
I am attracted to the SsEWs mainly because I love their prayer life--it is very intense!

TeresaBenedicta

I'm entering the Servants of the Lord and the Virgin of Matara as soon as my debt is paid off. :nunpray:

franciscanheart

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1299797329' post='2219947']
[/quote]
I forgot to say why I like them. :blush: I love their authentically Franciscan life. I love their JOY. - BTW, that's always weird to me. You always hear religious talking about how the JOY of a community attracted them. You hear this from so many! I see so much joy in several communities, but I feel my heart truly alive with the CFRs. We'll see what happens.

[quote name='Tally Marx' timestamp='1299798799' post='2219949']
That is wonderful, franciscanheart!! :clapping:
[/quote]
Thanks! :) I'm very happy to have begun the process again.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1299800239' post='2219962']
I forgot to say why I like them. :blush: I love their authentically Franciscan life. I love their JOY. - BTW, that's always weird to me. You always hear religious talking about how the JOY of a community attracted them. You hear this from so many! I see so much joy in several communities, but I feel my heart truly alive with the CFRs. We'll see what happens.

Thanks! :) I'm very happy to have begun the process again.
[/quote]

If someone were to ask me if I could join any order in the world, I would most definitely choose the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal. My favorite part about them is their complete flexibility and availability to their ministry. Sr. Francis explained that they do not have an apostolate set in stone--they go where the Spirit wills. Their joy is absolutely contagious. Everytime I am with them, their excitement for Christ makes me excited and I really would love to spend more time with them. It was so special for me to be able to experience a "Come and See" visit with them, but I discerned that I am, in fact, not called to their order because of my depression. I love them so much, though, and I cannot wait to see them again! :)