An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Community/communities Are You Discerning With?

Cherie

HopefulBride

[quote name='emilier98' timestamp='1299790162' post='2219894']
I am discerning with the Dominicans as a sister. I am in serious conversations with the Dominican Sisters of San Rafael, the Adrian Dominicans, the Dominican Sisters of Mission San Jose, and the DSMMEs. I am, God willing, going to visit the Dominican Sisters of San Rafael and the Dominican Sisters of Mission San Jose this summer. Should I find the money I am also visiting the Adrian Dominicans this summer.

I love the Dominicans because of their charism and how each community lives out that charism in different ways, their motto, and their diversity. People tend to think that Dominicans only teach, but they do so many more things than teach. Also the Dominicans are truly brothers and sisters. Even though each community is different and independent, if you are a Dominican no matter where you go you always have brothers and sisters that will help you out.

I cannot wait for the summer when I can meet the sisters.
[/quote]

Emilier, there is also the Dominican sisters of the Immaculate Conception in Justice, IL. They are an absolutely wonderful group. I almost entered there but I felt restless about it so I kept discerning for a community. I still hold them dear to my heart and they are the some most open and accepting sisters I have ever met!

Blessings on your journey.

Mary Magdalene

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1299800113' post='2219959']
I'm entering the Servants of the Lord and the Virgin of Matara as soon as my debt is paid off. :nunpray:
[/quote]

I'll be storming the heavens with prayers for you that you pay off your debt and are able to enter! :nunpray:

I'm entering with the Religious Sisters of Mercy of Alma Michigan in August this year

I'm not sure if this "counts" but I'm looking at various Third Orders, most interested in the Pauline Cooperators (affiliated with the Daughters of St Paul).

Mary Magdalene

[quote name='krissylou' timestamp='1299976584' post='2220385']
I'm not sure if this "counts" but I'm looking at various Third Orders, most interested in the Pauline Cooperators (affiliated with the Daughters of St Paul).
[/quote]

I've never heard of the Pauline Cooperators before. Where abouts are they based?

Studiumecclesiae

I am discerning the Benedictines, so basically my choice would either be Ryde (St Cecilia Abbey), or Oulton Abbey, or some French community like Le Barroux... I'll make some visit and see how it goes. I might have a life-in at Oulton to start with. :nunpray: i am not sure my health is perfect and it might be the only thing that would prevent my entering, and also my young age.:ohno:

[quote name='Mary Magdalene' timestamp='1299977407' post='2220387']
I've never heard of the Pauline Cooperators before. Where abouts are they based?
[/quote]

Well, have you heard of the Paulines/Daughters of St Paul? "Media nuns"?

The "Cooperators" is what they call their third order (similar to Dominican tertiaries, Secular Carmelites, etc.). It's a pretty cool name. So any city that has a community of the Daughters of St Paul is supposed to have a sister who is charged with working with the laity, etc. (not full-time) Boston, New York, St. Louis, Honolulu, California, New Orleans, Toronto, some others.

Technically speaking, there are ten different ways to be Pauline. There's the priests and brothers, the Daughters, a couple other active women's communities, a contemplative community, a few different secular institutes, and the Pauline Cooperators. (The founder was, ummm, a bit enthusiastic when it came to starting new communities! He started a new community every half hour.) They are each their own thing, that join together to form a Pauline Family. But, pragmatically speaking, the Daughters have taken the Cooperators under their wing. The Cooperators are supposed to be supporting the Pauline ministry through some combination of prayer, financial support, and participating in the apostolate, but how that works out exactly is going to be different for each person.

HopefulBride

[quote name='Mary Magdalene' timestamp='1299907577' post='2220273']

I'm entering with the Religious Sisters of Mercy of Alma Michigan in August this year
[/quote]

Wonderful. So many entrances coming up :)

FutureSister2009

IF it truly is my Vocation, my Order of choice is the Franciscan Sisters Missionaries of the Heart of Jesus and of Mary Immaculate. The few Sisters (3) that I know are amazing people and I've heard so many wonderful things about them. But lately some things have been happening to me and I feel as though they are God's way of testing me. I'm really not sure what's going on but I've been feeling this jealous urge because of my friends who are in relationships and I want one too. So I'm not sure if it really is my Vocation. I'm still on a 50/50 fence right now and when I transfer to another school this fall, I'll be able to see the world a little more and experience life. I feel like I'm ready for whatever comes my way.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1299785802' post='2219858']
I'm not discerning an actual religious community since I am not called to be a Sister, but I am discerning the vocation to Consecrated Virginity and/or third order Dominicans. The problem is, I know of no third order Dominican groups in my hometown, so I may have to wait until I get finished with college and move away from home before I am able to seriously discern with them. The reason I am drawn to Consecrated Virginity is because I think it is a really beautiful vocation, and would allow me to emulate the Blessed Virgin Mary more closely. I love the Dominicans because of St. Catherine of Siena and St. Rose of Lima. :)
[/quote]

Well, since God seems to be telling me I'm wrong, I hope to get in contact, very soon, with the Religious Sisters of Mercy in Alma, MI after I talk to my priest. :)

I spent last summer visiting various Anglican communities in the UK and felt called to the Sisters of Jesus Way. I am doing a one month aspirancy in April and if all goes well I hope to enter in the summer

HopefulBride

So I realized that I never answered the OP

[b]So, if you are so inclined to let us know, what communities are you discerning with?[/b]
About two years ago, I was discerning with the Dominican sisters of Immaculate conception and the Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Church.

[b]Have you visited or wrote to them yet?
[/b]I did a long visit with both communities and after a second extended visit with the SMMCs, I felt the Lord was calling me there. So I applied and got accepted :)

[b]Anything that particularly draws you to them?
[/b]What drew me to the OPs in Justice was their Dominican Charism, I feel that deep down I am a Dominican at heart. It is the same thing that also drew me to the SMMCs, their underlying Dominican spirituality. However, I am a marian devotee and their strong Marian spirituality (part of their charism) drew me and helped me to see that they were be my home. Among other things, their Apostolates vary based on the need of the diocese (though the main one is education).

The sisters radiate a joy that is absolutely contagious; another part of their charism is joyful evangelization which is evident from one's first contact with them. They have such a love for the Church and for Christ that puts them on fire to serve in whatever capacity is needed. They reminded me of how I felt very early on in my discernment, I felt so loved by God and so grateful for all that He has done for me that I wanted to give my life to Him completely and do whatever He needed me to do. In meeting these sisters I felt like I could truly do that; I felt that at last, God has found me a place that is just for me. It's as if the order was created just for me. I guess that is what it feels like to a discerner who has found a home, especially a long-time discerner like myself lol.

T minus 9 days until I get to see them again and I cannot wait :)

[b]Edited for typos[/b]

Edited by HopefulBride

Mary Magdalene

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1300122411' post='2220660']
Well, since God seems to be telling me I'm wrong, I hope to get in contact, very soon, with the Religious Sisters of Mercy in Alma, MI after I talk to my priest. :)
[/quote]

Yay!!:dance: Hope it all goes well! Praying for you :nunpray:

Mary Magdalene

[quote name='krissylou' timestamp='1300102364' post='2220631']
Well, have you heard of the Paulines/Daughters of St Paul? "Media nuns"?

The "Cooperators" is what they call their third order (similar to Dominican tertiaries, Secular Carmelites, etc.). It's a pretty cool name. So any city that has a community of the Daughters of St Paul is supposed to have a sister who is charged with working with the laity, etc. (not full-time) Boston, New York, St. Louis, Honolulu, California, New Orleans, Toronto, some others.

Technically speaking, there are ten different ways to be Pauline. There's the priests and brothers, the Daughters, a couple other active women's communities, a contemplative community, a few different secular institutes, and the Pauline Cooperators. (The founder was, ummm, a bit enthusiastic when it came to starting new communities! He started a new community every half hour.) They are each their own thing, that join together to form a Pauline Family. But, pragmatically speaking, the Daughters have taken the Cooperators under their wing. The Cooperators are supposed to be supporting the Pauline ministry through some combination of prayer, financial support, and participating in the apostolate, but how that works out exactly is going to be different for each person.
[/quote]

Yes I have heard of the daughters of St Paul

Thanks for the info!:)

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Mary Magdalene' timestamp='1300169930' post='2220832']
Yay!!:dance: Hope it all goes well! Praying for you :nunpray:
[/quote]

Prayers would definitely be appreciated, especially for my priest to call me back in the morning. I waited to hear from all day Monday, but he is a very busy man, so I must wait. :)

Mary Magdalene

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1300171878' post='2220836']
Prayers would definitely be appreciated, especially for my priest to call me back in the morning. I waited to hear from all day Monday, but he is a very busy man, so I must wait. :)
[/quote]

Patience! your doing well so far! :-)