An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Community/communities Are You Discerning With?

Cherie

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='krissylou' timestamp='1300102364' post='2220631']
Well, have you heard of the Paulines/Daughters of St Paul? "Media nuns"?

The "Cooperators" is what they call their third order (similar to Dominican tertiaries, Secular Carmelites, etc.). It's a pretty cool name. So any city that has a community of the Daughters of St Paul is supposed to have a sister who is charged with working with the laity, etc. (not full-time) Boston, New York, St. Louis, Honolulu, California, New Orleans, Toronto, some others.

Technically speaking, there are ten different ways to be Pauline. There's the priests and brothers, the Daughters, a couple other active women's communities, a contemplative community, a few different secular institutes, and the Pauline Cooperators. (The founder was, ummm, a bit enthusiastic when it came to starting new communities! He started a new community every half hour.) They are each their own thing, that join together to form a Pauline Family. But, pragmatically speaking, the Daughters have taken the Cooperators under their wing. The Cooperators are supposed to be supporting the Pauline ministry through some combination of prayer, financial support, and participating in the apostolate, but how that works out exactly is going to be different for each person.
[/quote]

There used to be a Pauline books near to where I lived, but they closed. I miss it! It was such a great resource! I can't believe they aren't in TX yet either.

I have been receiving formation with Opus Dei since I was then a Catholic convert and still in questions with my belief while attending in a secular university.
I haven't been in a religious community or had seen how they live their lives except from the books I have read and the videos I have seen and the few faithful parishes where a religious follows the Mass faithfully; but I do admire them and pray for them. They are badly needed right now.
One thing I feel though, only few right now among the religious communities are faithful to the Church though.:cry2:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='MichaelKoenigTalidong' timestamp='1300187951' post='2220850']
I have been receiving formation with Opus Dei since I was then a Catholic convert and still in questions with my belief while attending in a secular university.
I haven't been in a religious community or had seen how they live their lives except from the books I have read and the videos I have seen and the few faithful parishes where a religious follows the Mass faithfully; but I do admire them and pray for them. They are badly needed right now.
One thing I feel though, only few right now among the religious communities are faithful to the Church though.:cry2:
[/quote]

Are you looking at any particular communities? There are so many resources that can help you look for a faithful, orthodox community. Are you discerning?

[quote name='Deusdedit' timestamp='1300131170' post='2220694']
I spent last summer visiting various Anglican communities in the UK and felt called to the Sisters of Jesus Way. I am doing a one month aspirancy in April and if all goes well I hope to enter in the summer
[/quote]

Very nice website and sisters. I wish you a very happy and productive aspirancy. I also visited the St. Stephen's website.

Do you sing?

[quote name='Studiumecclesiae' timestamp='1300093503' post='2220621']
I am discerning the Benedictines, so basically my choice would either be Ryde (St Cecilia Abbey), or Oulton Abbey, or some French community like Le Barroux... I'll make some visit and see how it goes. I might have a life-in at Oulton to start with. :nunpray: i am not sure my health is perfect and it might be the only thing that would prevent my entering, and also my young age.:ohno:
[/quote]

Have you looked at Stanbrook Abbey at its new location or Colwich Abbey?

[quote name='Yaatee' timestamp='1300208045' post='2220886']
Very nice website and sisters. I wish you a very happy and productive aspirancy. I also visited the St. Stephen's website.

Do you sing?
[/quote]

Thank you very much! :smile2: The Sisters are a pretty amazing bunch.

Yes I sing in the St Stephen's choir as a Female Tenor

MargaretTeresa

Let's see....Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist, the Carmelites at Terre Haute, In, Daughters of St. Paul and the Benedictines at Regina Laudis Abbey are the ones I'm really looking at. Especially the last two.
With the DSP, I feel like this is really what I kind of wanted to do with my life since I...well, was in 10th grade. It's a great balance of journalism and new media (my university major) and missions (something I fell in love with thanks to a trip to Honduras)..

Still have plenty of time to discern. Going through RCIA right now. :)

OnlySunshine

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1300220594' post='2220932']
Let's see....Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist, the Carmelites at Terre Haute, In, Daughters of St. Paul and the Benedictines at Regina Laudis Abbey are the ones I'm really looking at. Especially the last two.
With the DSP, I feel like this is really what I kind of wanted to do with my life since I...well, was in 10th grade. It's a great balance of journalism and new media (my university major) and missions (something I fell in love with thanks to a trip to Honduras)..

Still have plenty of time to discern. Going through RCIA right now. :)
[/quote]

I was really close to making a visit to the Carmelites in Terre Haute, but I could never find a flight that went there. I hope you have better luck than I did! :)

MargaretTeresa

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1300220742' post='2220935']
I was really close to making a visit to the Carmelites in Terre Haute, but I could never find a flight that went there. I hope you have better luck than I did! :)
[/quote]

It's a four and a half hour drive from my house house, not my school house lol.
Praying for a spiritual director right now. That would be a big help in this process. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/nunpray.gif[/img]

Pax and God bless. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/angel.gif[/img]

OnlySunshine

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1300222651' post='2220943']
Praying for a spiritual director right now. That would be a big help in this process. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/nunpray.gif[/img]

Pax and God bless. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/angel.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Wow! Quite a drive! :)

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1300222651' post='2220943']

[/quote]

God is really amesome about helping with finding a spiritual director. I walked to the Dominican Priory on my campus and the cook for the friars introduced me to mine. I didn't even mean to go to the priory, I just kinda found myself there. Yay God!

Studiumecclesiae

[quote name='Yaatee' timestamp='1300208253' post='2220888']
Have you looked at Stanbrook Abbey at its new location or Colwich Abbey?
[/quote]

Yes, I've been to Colwich Abbey, but it is too modern for me. I haven't been to Stanbrook but it doesn't attract me for now, so I am not going to visit.

------------------------------

[b]So, if you are so inclined to let us know, what communities are you discerning with?[/b]
Ryde (but I have neigher writen to them, nor paid a visit... too far), Le Barroux, Oulton Abbey and maybe the Adorers of the Royal Heart of Jesus (but I am not sure I might be called there)

[b]Have you visited or wrote to them yet?
[/b]I wrote to most of them, yes.

[b]Anything that particularly draws you to them?
[/b]Gregorian Chant, old traditions and practices, the Old Mass (for Oulton Abbey, their bi-mensual one ; the Adorers, and le Barroux)

[quote name='Studiumecclesiae' timestamp='1300265438' post='2221110']
Yes, I've been to Colwich Abbey, but it is too modern for me. I haven't been to Stanbrook but it doesn't attract me for now, so I am not going to visit.
[/quote]
------------------------------

This is a sincere question, no offense intended, but how is Colwich too modern? I have viewed the Colwich website and blog, and aside from the presence of the blog, they appear fairly traditional.