An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Community/communities Are You Discerning With?

Cherie

HopefulBride

[quote name='Studiumecclesiae' timestamp='1300265438' post='2221110']

[b]So, if you are so inclined to let us know, what communities are you discerning with?[/b]
maybe the Adorers of the Royal Heart of Jesus (but I am not sure I might be called there)

[/quote]

I Thought about discerning with them (especially because of french being the language and Latin Mass of course) but I also love the mass in the vernacular and I couldn't live in a community that didn't have both.

Studiumecclesiae

[quote name='stlmom' timestamp='1300287947' post='2221140']
------------------------------

This is a sincere question, no offense intended, but how is Colwich too modern? I have viewed the Colwich website and blog, and aside from the presence of the blog, they appear fairly traditional.
[/quote]

I also thought they were very orthodox when I looked at their website, due to their religious habit and so on.
But to me there were signs showing me that they were not as traditional as I had expected. The same thing happened for the Tyburn nuns, which I thought very very orthodox, and I got a bit disappointed.

It depends what you expect from "traditional" communities.

And I am personally very pro-traditionalist and not very fond of post-Vatican II communities.
That's why le Barroux and the Adorers attract me so much.

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1300290850' post='2221153']
I Thought about discerning with them (especially because of french being the language and Latin Mass of course) but I also love the mass in the vernacular and I couldn't live in a community that didn't have both.
[/quote]

That's interesting. So it means a community alterning between the Latin Mass and the one in the Vernacular would better suit you.
It could be Paul VI's mass in Latin just like the Old Mass, right?
Are you looking for a community of French nuns that would have a Latin liturgy? There's plenty if you're looking for that and I can give you names and addresses.

Personnally, I really need the Latin Mass and I can do without the New Mass and the vernacular. And I like above all the Tridentine Mass.

Edited by Studiumecclesiae

• 3 weeks later...
InPersonaChriste

[quote name='Studiumecclesiae' timestamp='1300351702' post='2221365']

Personnally, I really need the Latin Mass and I can do without the New Mass and the vernacular. And I like above all the Tridentine Mass.
[/quote]

I know what you mean! Their is something so special abot the Latin Mass.
It makes my heart soar (so to speak) because of the silence, and wonderful reverence.

And no I do not find the New Mass any lesser.. Just different.

• 1 month later...
Studiumecclesiae

[quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1301664086' post='2225268']
I know what you mean! Their is something so special abot the Latin Mass.
It makes my heart soar (so to speak) because of the silence, and wonderful reverence.

And no I do not find the New Mass any lesser.. Just different.
[/quote]

I got the new mass in Latin in Ryde. Not the same, indeed. It's more "talkative" I'd say (I mean with prayers out loud) when the old mass has got [i]secrètes[/i].
I actually prefer the Old Mass, which is a source of vocations to the priesthood and the religious life. It is just so ever attractive!
You can tell this from striking numbers in traditional catholic communities.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1299785802' post='2219858']
I'm not discerning an actual religious community since I am not called to be a Sister, but I am discerning the vocation to Consecrated Virginity and/or third order Dominicans. The problem is, I know of no third order Dominican groups in my hometown, so I may have to wait until I get finished with college and move away from home before I am able to seriously discern with them. The reason I am drawn to Consecrated Virginity is because I think it is a really beautiful vocation, and would allow me to emulate the Blessed Virgin Mary more closely. I love the Dominicans because of St. Catherine of Siena and St. Rose of Lima. :)
[/quote]

It's crazy how things have changed in the last two months. After discussing my nudgings from the Holy Spirit with my priest, he recommended that I get in touch with the orders I was interested in and see if I could find one that would accept me. I did not contact the Religious Sisters of Mercy, though. Instead, I ended up contacting the Sister Servants of the Eternal Word in Birmingham, AL. TallyMarx, JoyfulLife, and I are all discerning the same order! I thought that was pretty neat but it's not why I picked them.

[b]Have you visited or wrote to them yet?[/b]

Yes, I got in touch with Sr. Louise Marie, their vocation director, by email and she suggested that I come for a visit in the Fall. Now the trick is to find a way to get there! I'm hoping to get a job very soon, but nothing has panned out yet, so I am praying hard. I'm hoping to visit in either September or October as there are two retreats I am interested in and I need to pick one. :)

[b]Anything that particularly draws you to them?[/b]

I am very much drawn to their apostolate of retreats and catechesis. I've never wanted to be a teacher and healthcare is not something I am interested in anymore, so finding an order that didn't have one or both of these was a little tricky. I knew of the Dominican Sisters of St. Joseph in Lymington, England (the same order L_C joined), but hopping the pond to England was a scary idea. I decided to try to find a similar order here in the states. That's when I remembered the SsEWs. I had looked at their website several times and I found them charming. The first time I contacted them was to receive their newsletter in the mail but I couldn't get up the courage to contact them about discernment. When they were discussed on Phatmass by JoyfulLife and TallyMarx, my interests grew and I finally sent the vocation director an email. I heard back from her the next day and she asked me to send her a "discernment biography" about where I've been and how my discernment has been so far. After she read it, that's when she invited me to Alabama.

I am also very interested in their prayer life. From emails to Cherie, I learned that they are a very orthodox community that includes Latin in their prayers and they celebrate the Mass very reverently. I also wanted to find a community that has a daily Holy Hour, preferably in the morning, as I believe it is a good way to start the day. I discovered that the SsEWs begin prayer with a Holy Hour in the morning, so I was very happy to find that out.

I love that they combine my two favorite spiritualities--Dominican and Franciscan. I like that I don't have to pick one. I am just praying that they are sympathetic to the fact that I need medication to keep my depression at bay and I hope they understand that I function well while on it. I haven't had a single relapse since I started it. :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

InPersonaChriste

Oh, and for all those people who are not informed yet, I am discerning with the Benedictines of Mary, Queen of the Apostles. Currently at application stage.:amen:

HopefulBride

[quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1304539595' post='2237031']
Oh, and for all those people who are not informed yet, I am discerning with the Benedictines of Mary, Queen of the Apostles. Currently at application stage.:amen:
[/quote]

How Wonderful! Prayers for you :nunpray:

FutureSister2009

Now that I am almost 100% certain of my calling, I have some new answers so I'm going to refresh myself here.

[b]So, if you are so inclined to let us know, what communities are you discerning with?[/b]
I've got two choices now. The Franciscan Sisters Missionaries of the Heart of Jesus and of Mary Immaculate and The Servants of the Lord and of the Virgin Matara

[b]Have you visited or wrote to them yet?
[/b]I am good friends with some of the SFms and I did go on a retreat with them and I'm also emailing another one. As far as the SSVMs go, I have emailed them and I'm hoping to visit them this summer.

[b]Anything that particularly draws you to them?
[/b]The community, their spiritual lifestyle, their Marian Devotion, how kind my Sisters are, how committed they are to their work, their love for Our Lord.

I know I'm called to be His bride, and I'm not COMPLETELY sure where, but it most likely is Carmel.

So, if you are so inclined to let us know, what communities are you discerning with?

Lafayette Carmel

Have you visited or wrote to them yet?

Yes, I am visiting them alot. Or I will be. I made my first visit the last Friday of April and I've been in constant contact ever since.

Anything that particularly draws you to them?
Wow. I love this question, but it's so hard to answer for me. :) When Sr.John Mary, OCD asked me what draws me to Carmel I said, "I know this sounds SO cliche but something just is tugging ay my heart. I don't know what it is, but I....I guess I could say that it feels....right. But that just can't describe it. I can't describe it. My heart just feels home. I see your joy and I want it. Every other community has mostly been me just loving the sisters and that was mostly it. I mean, they were AMAZING orders, but there is something....otheworldy? Familiar yet alien, loved yet feared. I usually fear the unknown, and religious life especially the cloistered life is FULL of unknowns, but some how I am not afraid." Haha other than what I said I want to be a wife to the Spouse of Virgins, I want to live my life for Him and Him alone and that's what Carmel brings. You offer a COMPLETE, willing, living sacrifice of yourself. AND since through some crazy things that have happened I have found that {me=sister} is God's will. God's will is all I want done. :) So that's what draws me to Carmel.

+Venite adoremus+

InPersonaChriste

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1304547547' post='2237145']
How Wonderful! Prayers for you :nunpray:
[/quote]

Thanks!

Community- Tyburn nuns.

We have been exchanging letters now for goodness....5+ years. They never gave up on me, even when things went ugh, they simply stood by my side, prayed for me, helped me with questions and helped me find my way back.

Visit...no not yet. Its remotely possible that I maybe visiting them in a couple of months time but that depends on being able to stabilise my mum's health.

• 1 month later...
Studiumecclesiae

A specific community of the Solesmes Congregation in France. (ask via PM if you want to know which monastery exactly)
[b]
Have you visited or wrote to them yet?
[/b]I wrote to them a lot, visited them and had a life-in. I keep writing to them and my 2nd life-in shall be at the end of the year.
I'm going to have a look at other houses but only because they're part of the Solesmes congregation, of the same family. I'm already committed to my community.

[b]Anything that particularly draws you to them?
[/b]The outstanding liturgy:
-Paul VI's mass said with so much reverence and monasticism (the blessed sacrament, holy eucharist, papal enclosure respected)
-Strict papal enclosure: grilles in parlours, at church, never opened, no visits to families (no going out of the monastery)
-high respect for older nuns and superiors (strict rule of obedience and submission)
-Old traditions retained (polite form when we talk to a nun, equivalent to the English "thou"), penance when we make mistake in the oratory
-Solid spiritual, intellectual and linguistic formation
-The Divine Office (renovated by Vatican II, but the Office of Prime retained)
- Very attached to the Rule and Benedictine traditions (no Nunc Dimitis at compline (added after Vatican II), though the Visita Quaesumus has been retained (was replaced by differents Oratio after Vatican II)

Well I love EVERYTHING about this community. 95%'s love!!! I don't say 100% because the 5% are myself being so "little", so "young" and imperfect and not strong yet to be ready to cope with cold weather and Northern France.

Ora pro me

Pax +
[i]StudiumEcclesiae[/i]

HopefulBride

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1304556918' post='2237263']

I can't describe it. My heart just feels home. I see your joy and I want it. Every other community has mostly been me just loving the sisters and that was mostly it. I mean, they were AMAZING orders, but there is something....otheworldy? Familiar yet alien, loved yet feared. I usually fear the unknown, and religious life especially the cloistered life is FULL of unknowns, but some how I am not afraid." Haha other than what I said I want to be a wife to the Spouse of Virgins, I want to live my life for Him and Him alone and that's what Carmel brings. You offer a COMPLETE, willing, living sacrifice of yourself. AND since through some crazy things that have happened I have found that {me=sister} is God's will. God's will is all I want done. :) So that's what draws me to Carmel.

+Venite adoremus+
[/quote]

This is such a beautiful expression of the yearning that most religious feel, especially once they have found their spiritual home.

You are in my prayers.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1300122411' post='2220660']
Well, since God seems to be telling me I'm wrong, I hope to get in contact, very soon, with the Religious Sisters of Mercy in Alma, MI after I talk to my priest. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Well, I can effectively change this to active contact with the Religious Sisters of Mercy. I had planned to get in touch with them in March, but put it off again. :rolleyes:

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1299791377' post='2219900']
I'm sort of discerning lots of orders...

At first, at least last summer, I was sure I was called to the NDs. But now, I think I'm being led to consider other communities. Prayers this way? Please?

Thanks!

We should ask Lil Red to do the discerning/entering update thing.

:nunpray:
[/quote]

Now it's a definite ND. :) :nun2: