An Old School Catholic Message Board

Female Discerners, Answer Me This

franciscanheart

[quote name='Chamomile' timestamp='1300491771' post='2221621']
I like long skirts,[b] hippie skirts especially[/b]. You can find them at thrift stores usually :like:

[/quote]

Oh go join the Franciscans already ya :hippie: :P

TeresaBenedicta

I mostly wear jeans and a tee or sweatshirt. Or slacks. I like wearing skirts but I don't do so very often. It's hard to find cheaper, longer skirts.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Chamomile' timestamp='1300491771' post='2221621']
I like long skirts, hippie skirts especially. You can find them at thrift stores usually :like:

I also wear jeans when I'm doing active stuff. Or if it's too cold for skirts.

I had some slightly immodest clothes before I converted/started discerning (happened around the same time).

[b]I actually think Muslim women dress pretty (not the black burka, but the long, flowy things).[/b]

I have secretly wanted to wear my own type of habit/robe-type thing for a long time.
[/quote]

:hehe:

So I'm not the only non-Muslim woman who admires those styles of dress.

HopefulBride

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1300509331' post='2221677']

[/quote]

Nope, definitely not :)

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1300509331' post='2221677']

[/quote]

I remember Sr. Louise Marie relating a story how she was standing in line somewhere, and a Muslim lady was nearby, eying her for a little while. Finally after Sister smiled politely at her, the woman responded with an approving nod, "I like your dress." :)

LaPetiteSoeur

1. What is your typical (day to day) attire?
I usually wear skirts, knee length or longer. I do wear pantaloons, though. It gets cold where I live and when I'll wear pantaloons around the house. It's just easier sometimes to wear jeans. But finding jeans that aren't tight and are long (I'm tall) is not easy! I found some at Landsend that are perfect for being at home. If I can, I wear tunics or dresses (That are really tunics) when I wear pantaloons.
I have a few dresses, but those are usually for work.

2. Have you always dressed this way?
Yep. Come from a family where there are just certain things you [i]don't[/i] wear outside the house. My mother used to make all of my clothes, so Iived in dresses all year round. I cried the first day I had to wear pantaloons--that was in kindergarten for gym days. :blush: It was sad.

3. Did discernment change the way you viewed your dress?
My family always dressed modern modestly, but discerning made me think of the idea of spiritual modesty. I respect my body by the way I dress
4. How many of you wear pantaloons? :o
As said in numero 1, I do wear them. Just not tight ones. Sometimes pantaloons are neccessary, like when you're cleaning out a basement or some such thing.

Christopher & Banks has some really nice "everyday" skirts, including some long denim or khaki skirts, I just checked this weekend. They're having a 40% off everything in the store sale, which is nice because sometimes their clothes can be pricey.

[quote name='CherieMadame' timestamp='1300563936' post='2221763']
Christopher & Banks has some really nice "everyday" skirts, including some long denim or khaki skirts, I just checked this weekend. They're having a 40% off everything in the store sale, which is nice because sometimes their clothes can be pricey.
[/quote]

thanks!

Link to online shopping if interested: [url="http://www.christopherandbanks.com/family/index.jsp?cp=2958671&categoryId=2958727&pg=3"]http://www.christopherandbanks.com/family/index.jsp?cp=2958671&categoryId=2958727&pg=3
[/url]I like the ones with flowers :whistle:
There's also something at the top that says $10 off if you sign up for emails. Now, sometimes sites don't let you combine discounts, but if they do, with the 40% off, that could make for some good deals!

If you need a good, long denim skirt, I bought this one this weekend: [url="http://www.christopherandbanks.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11158059&cp=2958671.2958727&fbc=1&f=GenericColor%2FCBK%2FBlue&fbn=GenericColor%7CBlue&parentPage=family"]http://www.christoph...rentPage=family[/url]

Sizes in this style (not all of their styles, btw!) seem to run big, so if anyone's interested you'd probably want to go one size down from what you normally wear.

I like the fact that it's long and denim but doesn't have a slit anywhere :)

I love Pettipants. Always wear them under a skirt. Very comfy.

The pantaloons look they they'd be good for a production of Godspell!

:banana:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='DameAgnes' timestamp='1300572840' post='2221798']
I love Pettipants. Always wear them under a skirt. Very comfy.

The pantaloons look they they'd be good for a production of Godspell!

:banana:
[/quote]

Pettipants are amesome! I feel naked with out 'em. :hehe: I hope whatever convent I join (God-willing) will allow me to wear them under my habit.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

+JMJ

Well, I'm not sure if this is worth much, but I thought I would share...

[i][b]1. What is your typical (day to day) attire?[/b][/i]
I typically wear jeans/t-shirts on days when I am at home and when I go to daily Mass when it is colder out. I hate wearing jeans to Mass, but it can be difficult during the colder months when all you have is two pairs of corduroys. I do try to wear a nicer top when I go to Mass though. I do have several dresses that I wear with tights to work and Mass on Sundays. I can't wait for warmer weather because it means I can bring out more of my skirts. I don't wear floor length skirts/dresses just because I guess I'm a little vain and anything really far below the knee really makes me look even shorter and fatter than I am. Short and stocky doesn't always work with that length (which means I have about 6 skirts in my closet I never wear now--any takers?). I always make sure it at least hits the knee though. I also really never wear tank-tops by themselves anymore... I just kinda feel naked.
[b][i]2. Have you always dressed this way?[/i][/b]
I started wearing more dresses and skirts in the past several years, although I've always enjoyed dressing up, but it always became a big thing at school and everyone would always make a big deal about it. I wasn't a big fan of that. Although I do remember intending to buy more skirts and dresses after I read Dressing With Dignity a long time ago.
[i][b]3. Did discernment change the way you viewed your dress?[/b][/i]
I don't think it did. I think it started before that. Although as I began to become more of a disciple through junior high & high school, the more I found that I made different choices. There are some aspects of discernment that lead me to change things about how I dress, I don't think it was the main motivator behind it. I've never really tried to dress like a nun.
[b][i]4. How many of you wear pant.s?[/i][/b]
I do, quite often in fact. I only have about five pairs of jeans/pant.s and dress slacks, so they get a lot of use. I've also realized that I've lost about 20 pounds since I graduated from college, so most of these don't fit as well as they used to and I never hem which is a huge issue for me (I'm too short, even for the short lengths!)

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' timestamp='1300672063' post='2222008']

[b][i]4. How many of you wear pant.s?[/i][/b]
I do, quite often in fact. I only have about five pairs of jeans/pant.s and dress slacks, so they get a lot of use. I've also realized that I've lost about 20 pounds since I graduated from college, so most of these don't fit as well as they used to and I never hem which is a huge issue for me (I'm too short, even for the short lengths!)
[/quote]

hahaha. I have the same issue, except short is about an inch too short and regular is about 3 inches too long. I have to get my jeans, or any pantaloons, hemmed or else. Long skirts do the same thing to me, I'm not all that short (5'6") but most of my height is in my torso and so long skirts make me look really short and fat. My jeans don't do that and neither do my pantaloons.

I dress ok for mass, but it depends on which mass I go to. Daily mass at school is whatever I wear to school and then Sunday 7.30pm mass is jeans and a button down dress shirt. Then Easter Vigil and Midnight Mass I wear a dress and hose and a chapel veil. I also do this for the All Souls Day mass at the Cistercian Abbey near school (they do the entire mass in Gregorian Chant, sooooooooo pretty).

Frankly, it never occurred to me to change the way I dress because I'm discerning. My employer is "corporate casual" so I usually wear a shirt or blouse or polo type shirt in summer with khaki pantaloons or wool pantaloons in winter for work. I have a number of dresses - especially summer dresses, which are cooler - that I also wear. I've never been "into fashion" in a "Devil Wears Prada" kind of way, though I always like to look nice. I still wear jeans and shorts. I've never worn bikinis even though I am slender - I've never been comfortable "putting it all out there" at the beach. I think LL Bean makes nice, comfortable bathing suits and that's what I wear.

Kat

[quote name='ksterling' timestamp='1300719347' post='2222066']
I've never worn bikinis even though I am slender - I've never been comfortable "putting it all out there" at the beach.
[/quote]

Agreed. It is my opinion that bikinis are immodest. I don't want to get into a whole discussion on modesty, because that's not the original purpose of this thread, but I especially don't think it's befitting of a future spouse of Jesus Christ to wear such things, and if I ever have daughters I would never let them wear one!