An Old School Catholic Message Board

Benedictines

InPersonaChriste

AccountDeleted

[quote name='GraceUk' timestamp='1306070408' post='2244456']
I definitely second advice to read In this House of Brede by Rumor Godden. Also I saw a programme on TV a while back about a record company looking for a choir of nuns to make a recording of the chant. They visited several convents and some Benedictine sisters in the South of France were the best singers but they had problems with being photographed and letting TV recording equipment into the convent. Anyway they did agree to do it in the end. It was a really good programme I thought. Not sure if it has been mentioned on Phatmass before. Here is a link for anybody interested.
[url="http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/jul/25/nuns-avignon-gregorian-chant-album"]http://www.guardian....ian-chant-album[/url]
[/quote]

I loved In This House of Brede the many times I have read it. We must remember though that it was written in 1969 - still very early days post Vat 2, and since then Stanbrook Abbey (which was the model for Brede Abbey) has changed a lot, including moving their house, as have many religious communities.

And we had a similar TV program inside a Benedictine Abbey here in Australia, but I could see that it wasn't a community where I would feel at home. It takes a lot of discernment to find a community these days that has maintained a lot of the traditions while still moving forward sensibly, but that's just part of the process, I guess.

InPersonaChriste

I only know of a polish abbey in Australia, 4 hours from Sidney. I cannot remember the heritage though..

AccountDeleted

[quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1306075346' post='2244461']
I only know of a polish abbey in Australia, 4 hours from Sidney. I cannot remember the heritage though..
[/quote]

I don't know the Polish abbey. The one that they did the TV show about was Jambaroo Abbey in NSW - they all had Australian accents!

Studiumecclesiae

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1306067375' post='2244454']
I just hate it when you type a long reply and then it gets lost! Sometimes I remember to type in Word first and then copy and paste, but most of the time I don't!

I would love to hear about your contact with Mother Regina - please email me at [email="annierosha@gmail.com"]annierosha@gmail.com[/email]

and tomorrow I am going to phone Oulton and ask if they got my snail mail yet! It has been way too long even for a letter!
[/quote]

Did you actually write to Oulton Abbey? They are quite good at answering to letter because it's this way it all started with them for me. :nunpray: They're really nice!!!
Colwich abbey isn't too far; It's a different charism though. I think Oulton is more traditional in a way (more faithful to the rubrics). Colwich has got other advantages. It depends what people want. I personally am aiming at an outstanding liturgy, and Oulton's got the one I'm more likely to like because they stick to the old Divine Office. (pre-vatican II translation) I like their mass too.

The new aspirant in Colwich is in her 50s but the abbess is very young!!

Lilllabettt

I just added this community to the directory of religious orders for women. They seem like a wonderful, rather unknown group:

[url="http://missionarysisosb.org/"]Missionary Sisters of St. Benedict[/url]

Their stated age range is 18-35, but in one of the vocation stories (link to it is here [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?app=links&showlinkcat=83"]in the directory[/url]) its clear that a Sister recently made first profession after having entered in her forties.

Catherine Therese

When I hear of the Benedictines the immediate thought that comes to mind is that they are the "Prayer Powerhouse" of the Catholic Church !!

My vocation is Dominican, but I love what other orders have to offer, too. I have a Benedictine crucifix hanging in the car that I drive and I have a medal of St Benedict. We need more Benedictines - their prayer protects the Church particularly from the growing onslaught of evils against the family and the Christian values in the world. God bless all of you that are discerning with the Benedictines, or already living out this charism!

I so much love the richness of so many charisms within the Universal Church. Particularly I have a love for the Carmelites, Franciscans and Benedictines in addition to my own wonderful Dominican order.

An awareness of Benedictine discipline and prayer challenges me on a personal level to a deeper obedience and to more fervent prayer for the needs of the Universal Church.
An awareness of Carmelite mysticism challenges me to live a deeper, more contemplative and loving relationship with God, and to pray more fervently for priests.
An awareness of Franciscan poverty challenges me to live more faithfully that voluntary poverty that my blessed father St Dominic challenged me to live from his deathbed.

My own Dominican charism, with its distinctly 'St Cecilia's flavour', challenges me to seek truth, goodness and beauty at their Source; I am challenged then to proclaim that truth, live that goodness and preserve and reflect that beauty. I am also challenged to offer my prayer for the holy souls in purgatory and for sinners here on earth. I am challenged to seek, know, love and serve the Lord in all things!

[size="1"](You can probably all tell I'm still on cloud 9 over the recent acceptance - sorry if I'm a little intense! I can't quite help myself, just at the moment!)[/size]

organwerke

Thank you Catherine Therese for your beautiful post!!
And many prayers and a big encouragement for your vocation!

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1306210447' post='2245254']
I just added this community to the directory of religious orders for women. They seem like a wonderful, rather unknown group:

[url="http://missionarysisosb.org/"]Missionary Sisters of St. Benedict[/url]

Their stated age range is 18-35, but in one of the vocation stories (link to it is here [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?app=links&showlinkcat=83"]in the directory[/url]) its clear that a Sister recently made first profession after having entered in her forties.
[/quote]

thank you Lillabett, this seems really a beautiful community!

Edited by organwerke

Catherine Therese

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1306075584' post='2244462']
I don't know the Polish abbey. The one that they did the TV show about was Jambaroo Abbey in NSW - they all had Australian accents!
[/quote]

Accents? Australians don't have accents!!!

*grin*

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Catherine Therese' timestamp='1306326828' post='2245745']
Accents? Australians don't have accents!!!

*grin*
[/quote]

Oh yeah, that's right, I forgot - Australians are the only people in the world who don't have an accent :P

Catherine Therese

Kiwi's (people from New Zealand) have Ekksints.

Americans have aaaaaksients or drawls

The Poms (the English) have jolly old dialects, watt?

But we fair-dinkum, true blue, dinki-di Aussies from down unda are just plain old OKKA, mayt. (Unless you're from South Australia. Then its like you forgot that you crossed the ocean and moved to a colony - they still think they're in Mother England, to hear them talk! They're a posh lot, most of'em!)

InPersonaChriste

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1306327166' post='2245746']
Oh yeah, that's right, I forgot - Australians are the only people in the world who don't have an accent :P
[/quote]

Oh you Aussie's...
Then whats up with these?
Beut
Mozzy
and Toque

Obviously I have a lot to learn about you...

• 1 month later...
Studiumecclesiae

If you love the Benedictines, I'd also suggest the Solesmes Congregation. There are houses of nuns in Canada, and also in the US.
They are very good, very traditional (in France). I don't know about there houses overseas.

Colwich Abbey has now a new postulant.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1306378394' post='2246052']
Oh you Aussie's...
Then whats up with these?
Beut
Mozzy
and Toque

Obviously I have a lot to learn about you...
[/quote]

Well, toque is French, don't ya know? I never heard it until I went to Wolverhampton and the said it was the white headpiece worn under the veil - and they were founded from the French line.

Beaut and Mozzy are definitely Aussie though....

[quote name='Studiumecclesiae' timestamp='1309522047' post='2261507']
If you love the Benedictines, I'd also suggest the Solesmes Congregation. There are houses of nuns in Canada, and also in the US.
They are very good, very traditional (in France). I don't know about there houses overseas.

Colwich Abbey has now a new postulant.
[/quote]

Yaay-yy, about the postulant. I like Colwich.

Puella Paschalis set up their blog.