An Old School Catholic Message Board

Kinda Freaking Out Right Now...

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

AccountDeleted

In the traditional Carmels I was in, they used a wooden clapper called a mattraque, but it didn't look like the one pictured (I googled but couldn't find a picture of it, although I know I have seen it online before) . It was a wooden board with a heavy piece of metal on it that flipped from side to side, knocking against the wood as the sister walked through the cloister. It was VERY loud in the morning and there was no chance of sleeping through it! But if you were having a "late" (sleep in for various reasons), then you pinned a piece of white paper on your door handle the night before and the sister would try to be quieter walking past your cell, and then she would come back later to wake you at the appointed time with a knock on the door and a "Deo Gratias" to which you had to reply "Deo Gratias" in return loud enough for her to hear that you were awake!

In the more 'modern' Carmels, we each had our own alarm clock!

truthfinder

Hmm...I'd figure out a way to say Deo Gratia in my sleep.
The Carthusians had a better way, well maybe, of making sure you were awake. They would have a wooden implement in their cell on the other side of their room that they would have to hit loud enough for the brother outside the door to hear. That way the monk actually had to get out of bed - they're tricky them Carthusians.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='truthfinder' timestamp='1303032473' post='2229464']
Hmm...I'd figure out a way to say Deo Gratia in my sleep.
The Carthusians had a better way, well maybe, of making sure you were awake. They would have a wooden implement in their cell on the other side of their room that they would have to hit loud enough for the brother outside the door to hear. That way the monk actually had to get out of bed - they're tricky them Carthusians.
[/quote]

Ah yes, but the Carmelite nun is taught that as soon as she hears the signal for rising she must '...rise promptly and kneeling on their bed, make the sign of the Cross and then put on their cotte, saying "[i]My God, I awake at dawn of day to think of Thee, to love Thee, to serve Thee and to do all things according to Thy Holy Will[/i]." They must then get up with courage, calling to mind the great love with which the Son of God came from the bosom of His Father at the moment of His Incarnation to descend upon this earth, subjecting Himself to all our miseries.'

Then the nun must prostrate while they ask for God's blessing... and each one is encouraged to be the first into Choir. Even the 'late rising' ones, when given the signal, are basically supposed to leap out of bed as if it were on fire! :) Not to do so is an offence against the spirit of the Order.

truthfinder

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1303033708' post='2229468']
Ah yes, but the Carmelite nun is taught that as soon as she hears the signal for rising she must '...rise promptly and kneeling on their bed, make the sign of the Cross and then put on their cotte, saying "[i]My God, I awake at dawn of day to think of Thee, to love Thee, to serve Thee and to do all things according to Thy Holy Will[/i]." They must then get up with courage, calling to mind the great love with which the Son of God came from the bosom of His Father at the moment of His Incarnation to descend upon this earth, subjecting Himself to all our miseries.'

Then the nun must prostrate while they ask for God's blessing... and each one is encouraged to be the first into Choir. Even the 'late rising' ones, when given the signal, are basically supposed to leap out of bed as if it were on fire! :) Not to do so is an offence against the spirit of the Order.
[/quote]

I know, and that's why I'd probably make a horrible Carmelite. I don't know why I feel God calling me to Carmel; He better have a huge dousing of Grace coming my way if that's where He wants me.

MargaretTeresa

Good thing I don't sleep in a lot. Although, I do see that clapper as a challenge-I've slept through fire alarms in my dorm before. rotfl

OnlySunshine

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1303047579' post='2229490']
Good thing I don't sleep in a lot. Although, I do see that clapper as a challenge-I've slept through fire alarms in my dorm before. rotfl
[/quote]

I've slept through terrible lightning and thunderstorms before (my mom and dad told me the morning after). I've also slept through our security alarm going off which is extremely loud. :shock:

SoonerCatholic

I almost slept through a dorm fire alarm, my roommate had to wake me up, but it was just boys being stupid. I've also slept through thunderstorms and my neighbor could throw a party next door and I could probably sleep through it, so I'd definitely sleep through a wooden clapper or anything like that. Comes of being hard of hearing. If I enter a convent, I hope they can accommodate that.

MargaretTeresa

[quote name='SoonerCatholic' timestamp='1303095330' post='2229674']
I almost slept through a dorm fire alarm, my roommate had to wake me up, but it was just boys being stupid. I've also slept through thunderstorms and my neighbor could throw a party next door and I could probably sleep through it, so I'd definitely sleep through a wooden clapper or anything like that. Comes of being hard of hearing. If I enter a convent, I hope they can accommodate that.
[/quote]

What was really bad is I slept through it and slept walked it. :doh: I crack myself up sometimes. :hehe:

They use the clapper later in Lent at the Visitation. I wasn't waking up to the bell they had, so I had to use my wrist watch alarm. One day, my watch didn't work and I got out there late! Humiliating!

Edited by JoyfulLife

• 4 weeks later...
Piccoli Fiori JMJ

+JMJ

One month from today, I will be in the enclosure of the monastery... it is still a somewhat scary thought, although it fills me with joy! I am such a procrastinator, so this short notice is really getting to me... I still have to give my 2 weeks notice at work (although I would like to give a little bit more of advanced notice, as I want a few days so that my sister and I can go on a trip together.)

So much to do... so much to do...[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif[/img]

[quote name='Piccoli Fiori JMJ' timestamp='1305200043' post='2240445']
+JMJ

One month from today, I will be in the enclosure of the monastery... it is still a somewhat scary thought, although it fills me with joy! I am such a procrastinator, so this short notice is really getting to me... I still have to give my 2 weeks notice at work (although I would like to give a little bit more of advanced notice, as I want a few days so that my sister and I can go on a trip together.)

So much to do... so much to do...[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif[/img]
[/quote]

are you getting to go on your trip to San Francisco?

faithcecelia

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1303033708' post='2229468']

[/quote]

When i first entered I was given conferences on House Customs, comparing the customs from 1941 when Sr Rachel (then NM) entered to the modern ones. When talking about rising it was worded 'each sister will rise with great courage and determination':like: That was still most definately the case in winter when the windows would still freeze on the inside and we all looked like bag ladies with all our cardigans, shawls and gloves as we shiverred our way through Lauds!