An Old School Catholic Message Board

Old Habits Die Hard

OnlySunshine

emma8201986

Can we please not fight about this - the subject has been discussed ad nauseum in other posts.  I think we all agree - the people are more important than the externals but for some people - clearly not all - the witness and tradition of the habit are important.  Let it go.

Ancilla Domini

I love this habit! This wass the habit of the Sisters of Loreto:

n33.jpg

Some of the other old habits look SO uncomfortable, though! =P

Edited by Ancilla Domini

OnlySunshine

I love this habit! This wass the habit of the Sisters of Loreto:

n33.jpg

Some of the other old habits look SO uncomfortable, though! =P

That habit looks rather comfortable compared to others.  It lacks a stiff headdress and doesn't look too bulky.  It's also very becoming.  :)

The Lorettos revised their habit when they needed to drive. It also was dangerous when they were walking and trying to cross the street--no peripheral vision!  And keep in mind that they worked mostly in the American South and Southwest--hot. [Learned all this both from research and from several friends in the community. But it is becoming as portrayed in the photo....

This was actually their original habit - the sister here died in 1915.

Sister-M.-Pancratia-Bonfils-1880043-672x

After they modified the one with the white inside veil, they went to this modified habit:

Sister-Eileen-MariePresident-LHC042.jpg

A lot of communities had several versions of their habit; as Nunsuch pointed out, many times they had to modify them when the sisters started driving, etc.

Yes, Anneline. apparently a bishop decided that all the unrelieved black might discourage vocations, so he urged them to adopt a veil with white trim and a white collar....