An Old School Catholic Message Board

Con Lists

MargaretTeresa

The FSI Sisters had a shower and used it like every other day. We were scheduled back to back and it had to be brief, like 10-15 minutes.

They had a funny story about back in Italy in the postulancy and novitiate. There was a new girl that was using the shower there, and she found that there wasn't any soap. She actually believed it was because she heard that Franciscans didn't bathe or were uncleanly! In actuality, they just ran out or misplaced the soap. They had a BIG laugh about that and still do to this day!! :rotfl:

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1303771982' post='2232909']
The FSI Sisters had a shower and used it like every other day. We were scheduled back to back and it had to be brief, like 10-15 minutes.

They had a funny story about back in Italy in the postulancy and novitiate. There was a new girl that was using the shower there, and she found that there wasn't any soap. She actually believed it was because she heard that Franciscans didn't bathe or were uncleanly! In actuality, they just ran out or misplaced the soap. They had a BIG laugh about that and still do to this day!! :rotfl:
[/quote]

Well, the public toilets at the Vatican didn't have toilet paper (at least when I visited, before many Phatmassers were born), which did make me wonder. A religious Sister came out at the same time I did, and I had to stifle an impulse to ask her if religious Sisters carried a supply of Kleenex for such occasions (as I did). However, the Sister didn't appear to speak English (which was probably a good thing).

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1303767755' post='2232853']
Probably because they are a mendicant community and have to use a bucket to bathe. A lot of very traditional Carmelite communities do this. You are only allowed a regular bath or shower once a week and the rest of the time you wash with soap and a bucket of water. :)
[/quote]

Obviously I still have a LOT to learn. I hadn't realized that any communities in which modern plumbing was available used buckets for bathing (although I can understand keeping showers short). I'm also not really sure what a mendicant community is.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1303775076' post='2232936']
Bahahahahaha! And mendicant? What does that entail?
[/quote]

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1303776334' post='2232968']
Obviously I still have a LOT to learn. I hadn't realized that any communities in which modern plumbing was available used buckets for bathing (although I can understand keeping showers short). I'm also not really sure what a mendicant community is.
[/quote]

Mendicant is used to describe any order that relies on charitable donations or begging for their livelihood. Almost all Franciscans, including the Poor Clares, are mendicant communities. :)

He is Risen!

Actually, for us, the bucket was for laundry. Plus, you can use your bucket for just about anything ie: your chore may involve a bucket or you might want to stick your feet in cold water on a really hot day! For our habits we used a washing machine but for other things that we would want to wash more often, we could use the bucket. A mendicant is someone who relies totally on providence, no outside work for profit but relies on donations/ begging.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='He is Risen!' timestamp='1303839509' post='2233450']
Actually, for us, the bucket was for laundry. Plus, you can use your bucket for just about anything ie: your chore may involve a bucket or you might want to stick your feet in cold water on a really hot day! For our habits we used a washing machine but for other things that we would want to wash more often, we could use the bucket. A mendicant is someone who relies totally on providence, no outside work for profit but relies on donations/ begging.
[/quote]

Ah, that's another thing I thought of was for laundry, but I never heard of a community doing that before. Good to know. :)

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1303839800' post='2233452']
Ah, that's another thing I thought of was for laundry, but I never heard of a community doing that before. Good to know. :)
[/quote]

The Summit Dominicans wrote in their blog once that the only way to REALLY get bad dirt out of their white habits is to hand scrub them with a old fashioned laundry scrubber (why is the name for it escaping me?)--at least the spots with bad dirt. Then they put the habit in the washing machine like the other laundry.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1303842924' post='2233477']
The Summit Dominicans wrote in their blog once that the only way to REALLY get bad dirt out of their white habits is to hand scrub them with a old fashioned laundry scrubber (why is the name for it escaping me?)--at least the spots with bad dirt. Then they put the habit in the washing machine like the other laundry.
[/quote]

Do you mean a washboard? Like this?

[img]http://www.oldandinteresting.com/images/metalwashboard.jpg[/img]

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1303758024' post='2232611']
Why a bucket?
[/quote]

The bucket is to collect candy at the Easter Egg Hunt. Obviously! :child:

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1303846934' post='2233523']
Do you mean a washboard? Like this?

[img]http://www.oldandinteresting.com/images/metalwashboard.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

Yep, that's exactly it. Thanks! The word just slipped my mind.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1303932215' post='2233945']
Yep, that's exactly it. Thanks! The word just slipped my mind.
[/quote]

:like: