An Old School Catholic Message Board

Men In Habits

tnavarro61

PhuturePriest

That's the English Benedictine hood - I will have one of those!

That's awesome! It really does look cool.

FUnnily enough, people think of them as some kind of strange different form of hood that developed later than most, but they're actually how most monastic hoods looked at the time of the Reformation. Most congregations only formed in the 19th Century and adopted the more common smaller hood, even though it was a recent archaism, whereas the English Benedictine Congregation was founded in 1216 and always kept the older style. You can see it here too:

PhuturePriest

FUnnily enough, people think of them as some kind of strange different form of hood that developed later than most, but they're actually how most monastic hoods looked at the time of the Reformation. Most congregations only formed in the 19th Century and adopted the more common smaller hood, even though it was a recent archaism, whereas the English Benedictine Congregation was founded in 1216 and always kept the older style. You can see it here too:

I officially need to join your community. :P

That also explains the hoods on the English Benedictines in Worth Abbey from the Monastery 2005 series.... 

Thank you, Anselm!

truthfinder

This clarifies so much! I always thought that is was some weird sort of cape, and not a hood.  Makes so much more sense now, and seeing the above picture, with the hoods up, I can see the practicality of it too.

Gosh, I've not heard of them! It's interesting to see how many fewer men's orders there are than women's.

reminiscere

They have a very complicated and controversial history. 

Gosh, I've not heard of them! It's interesting to see how many fewer men's orders there are than women's.

dymphnamaria

They have a very complicated and controversial history. 

What made them controversial?

ChristinaTherese

Can't be sure, but my guess is he is from the OCSO (Trappist/Cistercian) abbey of Our Lady of Guadalupe in Lafayette, Oregon, which isn't far from Mt. Angel.  (Their website won't let me copy pictures, but lots of pictures on it!)

http://trappistabbey.org/

And in case you are hungry.... the make cakes and mail them out....

http://www.goestores.com/catalog.aspx?Merchant=trappistmonksofguadalupe&DeptID=45477

Lots of communities have men do their priestly formation at Mount Angel, as well as a number of dioceses.  The Western Province of Discalced Carmelites among them.... standing in front of the Mt. Angel Seminary...

Brothers+MAA+2.jpg

http://fatheradam.blogspot.com/2008/12/northern-novitiate-tour.html

That sounds reasonable. And I knew that community existed, but I had no idea they were 40 minutes away from my home.... I think I'll go visit them sometime, just because I can. Thanks!

Oh, and just as a random clarification, those monks are standing in front of the abbey church (sticking out on the left) and the monastery. On the end of the building, beyond the right hand edge of the picture, is the museum (which is pretty small, and I didn't think to turn the lights on the only time I was in there). I want to say that the main buildings having to do with the seminary are in the direction the OCD monks are facing. ;)

ChristinaTherese

<derailingthread>

That sounds reasonable. And I knew that community existed, but I had no idea they were 40 minutes away from my home.... I think I'll go visit them sometime, just because I can. Thanks!

Apparently sometime meant that afternoon. It's a wonderful place, and has woods and a pond and random trails that may or may not always exist (ask my brother about me and trails in woods... except that you can't ask him because he's not on PM). While there, I found this sign: https://plus.google.com/113120930985905522384/posts/C9EYg9FhiYR (Sorry I couldn't post the picture itself.... It didn't seem to be working.) I know it's not a man in a habit, but it's really funny and it's from an abbey where there are men in habits....

</derailingthread>

Edited by Christina Thérèse

Conventual Franciscans! The colour varies slightly between provinces but they are a great bunch.