An Old School Catholic Message Board

Who Was The First Person To Eat An Oyster?

Ed Normile

Ed Normile

[img]http://lanijo.com/system/files/oyster-on-the-half-shell.jpg[/img]

Now who was the first person who looked at one of these and said, " I gotta stick that in my mouth and eat it ! " Man it not only looks gross, but they eat them raw! I tried one once and I found them disgusting, cold, slimey and foul tasting. I was told that you could put them on a cracker and use either a hot sauce or some lemon juice and do not chew them, swallow them whole... I would assume one could eat a dog turd with the same methods, but why? Was the first person to eat this dying of hunger and sated his appetite thus saving his life and said to himself, at least I am alive, or was it some deranged mentally ill person who after ingesting them had a moment of lucidity and realized he had just debased not only his tastebuds but his very being by ingesting such a foul offering, this realization driving him deeper into the realm of insanity, down to the level where inspiration is born, and not wanting to be alone in his shame invented all the reasons to eat them, such as they are an aphrodisiac, yea that will get all the men to eat them, especially the old guys and the foolish young ones, the hapless and the hopeless as I like to call them. Then of course there will be the women who eat them as they want to belong in the boy club. Yup the scam is on and the suckers are buying in.

ed

Mary Magdalene

oysters are yummy!! Love it with lemon or oyster Kilpatrick- thats with bacon and Worcestershire sauce
now im craving oysters!

[img]http://cdn.taste.com.au/images/recipes/sfi/2005/11/880.jpg[/img]

MissScripture

[quote name='Mary Magdalene' timestamp='1304747537' post='2238336']
oysters are yummy!! Love it with lemon or oyster Kilpatrick- thats with bacon and Worcestershire sauce
now im craving oysters!

[img]http://cdn.taste.com.au/images/recipes/sfi/2005/11/880.jpg[/img]
[/quote]
Why ruin the bacon???

Mary Magdalene

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1304786897' post='2238418']
Why ruin the bacon???
[/quote]

The osyters really bring out the bacony taste lol you should try it!

CatherineM

"He was a bold man that first did eat an oyster," wrote Jonathan Swift in 1738.

Laudate_Dominum

edit: octuple post

Edited by Laudate_Dominum

Mary Magdalene

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1304886119' post='2238785']
i prefer with lemon and tapatio and straight horseradish.
[/quote]

:like: Yummy!!

faithcecelia

They used to be a really common food for the poor in the Uk at least, until relatively recently (Victorian times I think) going right back for hundreds and hundreds of years.