An Old School Catholic Message Board

Priest And Mortal Sins?

Philippe

[quote name='DojoGrant' date='Apr 27 2004, 12:46 PM'] If a priest has committed a mortal sin, and say, Mass is in an hour...and there is no way to get to a priest to hear his confession, and it is a sin for him to say Mass in this condition (albeit valid)...

[/quote]
I was referring to the above.

But as to below

[quote]Is it better for the priest to not say Mass?  Or can he say an act of contrition with the intent of confessing as soon as possible and thus receive the Eucharist (with saying Mass not being an additional sin)?[/quote]

I do not think that saying the mass in simply the case of Mortal Sin, would be an additional sin.

Well, as soon as I typed that, I thought to look up this... (CCC 1650)

[quote]the divorced are remarried civilly, they find themselves in a situation that objectively contravenes God's law. Consequently, they cannot receive Eucharistic communion as long as this situation persists. For the same reason, they cannot exercise certain ecclesial responsibilities. Reconciliation through the sacrament of Penance can be granted only to those who have repented for having violated the sign of the covenant and of fidelity to Christ, and who are committed to living in complete continence.[/quote]

Which is the closest reference in the Catechism ( I will look through the Code is a sec) that says one may not recieve in the state of Sin.

So I think that, if it may be possible for the priest to say the mass, and not sin, if he does not himself recieve.

BUT, I am not sure if that is possible. I will have to find a copy of the Germ to what the rubricks would say.

Still I think that for sure the rest of the sacraments are valid (as is the Eucharisrt) ...
but I think that it may indeed be a furhter sin... More thoughts on this later.
(I have one at home, but I sent many of my books home already(

[quote]So I think that, if it may be possible for the priest to say the mass, and not sin, if he does not himself recieve. [/quote]

A priest who celebrates Mass must [b]always[/b] receive BOTH the Body and the Blood of Christ.