An Old School Catholic Message Board

Women In Habits

InPersonaChriste

MissScripture

[quote name='she_who_is_not' timestamp='1313098508' post='2286130']
Do you know how many habits the sisters have? The NDs in my diocese always seem super clean and fresh.
[/quote]
I'm not sure. I know they each sew one of their own, which is the one they get when they're first clothed. Idk how many others they have, though.

i<3franciscans

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1313098830' post='2286134']
I'm not sure. I know they each sew one of their own, which is the one they get when they're first clothed. Idk how many others they have, though.
[/quote]
I would have a really weird looking habit if I had to sew it. I envy them!

[quote name='she_who_is_not' timestamp='1313098508' post='2286130']
Do you know how many habits the sisters have? The NDs in my diocese always seem super clean and fresh.
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure the DSMME have 2 each.

Deus te Amat

I think they usually just have two -- one being a hand-me-down work habit. Don't quote me on that, though. Also, they have a TON of fabric cleaner, and stations of stain removals for throughout the day, and booklets of instruction on what to do for particular stains. :hehe:

Maximilianus

[url="http://ofmvocaciones.wordpress.com/hnas-clarisas/"]Pobres Clarisas[/url] singing "Dominique, nique, nique"

...just kidding

[img]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs088.snc4/35769_1410380112623_1626093805_915788_3362004_n.jpg[/img]

Happy feast day of St. Clare

MissScripture

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1313099137' post='2286137']
I would have a really weird looking habit if I had to sew it. I envy them!
[/quote]
:lol: I teased my sister that she was going to have to be careful in a strong wind, or her habit might fall apart. But they do it all together, step-by-step, so they aren't just turned loose and told "Go sew a habit." :hehe2: My sister said that she only sewed the sleeve to the yolk once (I think that's what it was). :hehe: I can't wait to see her in real life, in habit. :proud:

[quote] My sister said that she only sewed the sleeve to the yolk once (I think that's what it was). :hehe:[/quote]

Yoke. If eggs are involved in sewing habits, something has gone very very wrong.

MissScripture

[quote name='krissylou' timestamp='1313150141' post='2286478']

Yoke. If eggs are involved in sewing habits, something has gone very very wrong.
[/quote]
rotfl! Well, that might explain why she had so much trouble with it. :|

My NM and I sewed my habit for Clothing, but in the community it was traditional that the novices sew a new habit for the one making Final Vows.
Between the first one I helped sew and the one for FV, it changed four times.
I wanted the full traditional habit, but by then the skirts were mid calf, the guimpe was gone....... :cry:

IamMyBeloveds

The habit is beyond words, simply beautiful and a testament to God's presence in the world!

Receiving the habit is the most incredible and humbling experience. There are no words...only love, deep gratitude, and humility.

[img]http://www.laconfranciscans.org/images/franciscan_sisters_0265b.jpg[/img] Daughters of St. Francis of Assisi

Edited by Carolyn

I have additional pictures of the Religious Victimes of the Sacred Heart that I will eventually post. I moved recently and they are in a box...somewhere!!!
I believe that I read that they are very strict and still perform some penitential practices thatwere abandoned ages ago. Someone wrote somewhere that one's Spiritual Director should be consulted before even applying to the order. They have one convent in the city of Marseilles, but it is so well hidden that most people do not even know it is there. At one time they had 20 sisters and a few novices, but it looks like they are getting a new one in this picture. I think that if you google the Diocese of Marseilles there is information about these sisters.

[font="Arial, helvetica"][size="4"][color="#000080"][b]Religieuses Victimes du Sacré-Coeur[/b][/color][/size][/font]
[i]Institut de Droit Pontifical - Tiers Ordre dominicain[/i]
Année de fondation : 1843
Mère Prieure : Soeur Marie Véronique de la Sainte Face
Adresse : Religieuses Victimes du Sacré-Coeur - 52, rue Levat - 13003 Marseille
Tel : 04 91 50 29 21

[quote name='maximillion' timestamp='1313168014' post='2286561']
My NM and I sewed my habit for Clothing, but in the community it was traditional that the novices sew a new habit for the one making Final Vows.
Between the first one I helped sew and the one for FV, it changed four times.
I wanted the full traditional habit, but by then the skirts were mid calf, the guimpe was gone....... :cry:
[/quote]

I feel quite sad for you. We just never know where our journey will take us and what we will take up with joy, humility and gratitude and what we must leave behind saddened and often these are the dreams of youth. St. Paul tells us we simply cannot even imagine remotely what awaits us in Heaven, but most I think love God and ardently so because He is God and not for any reward which may await. I recall as achild wondering why in the "Hail Holy Queen" we call this earth a "valley of tears" and a place of "mourning and weeping". Now I know - although it aint all bad!

I hope that as the pendulum continues to swing that religious orders will return to a more traditional type habit and especially for those who entered dreaming of the day they would be in habit, only to find that when their big day arrived, the habit no longer existed or if it did was really modified almost out of sight. I truly believe that the habit will return.

Thank you for those kind words Barbara, and it has been my great joy to find this site and find there are so many who are returning to/maintaining the Habit.
Praise God for all who give witness, who wear with honour their Habit..........