An Old School Catholic Message Board

How To Have Family Refer To Religious

MissScripture

MarisStella

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1311565832' post='2275343']
I KNOW! Unfortunately, I most likely won't see her in real life until First Vows. :o
[/quote]

Aw. :( Well it will be even more special to see her then!

Also, were Final Vows on Monday?

Deus te Amat

[quote name='MarisStella' timestamp='1311564235' post='2275308']
My sister said she wants us to just call her by her baptismal name, she said it would freak her out if we called her anything else. So I guess in some cases it's just up to the person's preference. There's another family in my town whose daughter is a Nashville Dominican and I know they all call her by her baptismal name.
[/quote]

I'm totes calling her by her new name! :)

(Please don't forget to message me!)

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1311565832' post='2275343']
I KNOW! Unfortunately, I most likely won't see her in real life until First Vows. :o
[/quote]

Hopefully I meet you before then :annoyed:

carmenchristi

My niece calls me Auntie, but my whole family calls me by my name without "Sister". For a while they called me Sister "name", but none of us ever got used to it, so we reverted back to the shortened form of my name without the "sister" unless they are introducing me to someone. We don't have religious names though, so I guess it's less complicated. One of my classmates is a ND, when her family came to visit they just called her "Sister" but a few times her baptismal name popped out... and she has been a ND for about 15 years! I think Aunt Sister is a cute solution for someone whose family uses her religious name.

My confessor calls me Maestro, but that's another story all together... ;)

Maximilianus

[quote name='carmenchristi' timestamp='1311588354' post='2275436']
My confessor calls me Maestro, but that's another story all together... ;)
[/quote]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v446/echo4lima/ohreally.gif?t=1311589445[/img]

I wanted people to call me by my religious name, as did most of the other Sisters, at least most of the other novices. But of course the family often called you by your baptismal name, and Mother used to say that's just their right, really. One of the Sisters reminded me that my baptismal name is the name I'll be referred to in Heaven, since it's the name I was baptized with, and baptism gives us an indelible character. But I still preferred my religious name anyway ;)

Anyway, my nephews called me "Aunt Sister Mary Faustina," "Aunt Sr. Faustina," or just "Aunt Sister." From my prankster brothers, though, I also got, "Sr. Mary Frostina," and "Fausty the Snowman." :rolleyes:

InPersonaChriste

If I forgot someone's new name in the convent I would just continually call them sister.. hahaha

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1311607952' post='2275544']
If I forgot someone's new name in the convent I would just continually call them sister.. hahaha
[/quote]

That's my plan!

MissScripture

[quote name='MarisStella' timestamp='1311566039' post='2275345']
Aw. :( Well it will be even more special to see her then!

Also, were Final Vows on Monday?
[/quote]
I think so, but I'm not 100% sure. I just know that the postulants get the habits on the 27th (which I'm sure you were WELL aware, lol) and that the First Vows are on the 28th.

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' timestamp='1311569408' post='2275377']
I'm totes calling her by her new name! :)

(Please don't forget to message me!)

Hopefully I meet you before then :annoyed:
[/quote]
No kidding!

Deus te Amat

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1311611456' post='2275593']
I think so, but I'm not 100% sure. I just know that the postulants get the habits on the 27th (which I'm sure you were WELL aware, lol) and that the First Vows are on the 28th.

[/quote]

They're going to have 24 hours with over 40 novices :woot:

I think.

MissScripture

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' timestamp='1311611529' post='2275596']
They're going to have 24 hours with over 40 novices :woot:

I think.
[/quote]
Something like that. There are 24 postulants becoming novices. Idk how many novices there are, though.

Deus te Amat

I know they started with 21 postulants that year, but I don't know how many have left. I'm going to stick with 40, as it sounds legit. :)

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1311520564' post='2274910']
I was thinking about that, yesterday. I had a really hard time when I realized I was going to be changing my last name when I got married. And it was a hard thing for me to accept, though I also couldn't imagine NOT taking my husband's last name. I was wondering how that's going for the 24 Sisters who are waiting to get their new names. I also wonder how confusing it is, at first, since they've known each other for a year now, by their baptismal names. I'd have a hard enough time remembering my own name, much less, 23 other new names! :lol:
[/quote]

MS--I know this is off-topic, but, at this time of year, it's common for us to keep count of how many ND's "discerned out" during the postulant year from the original 27. Is it only 4? (I figure your Sister sister is the best source.)

By strange chance I was talking to a Dominican vocational director the other day (no, I'm not discerning!!!) and she said she'd heard that 7 ND postulants had "discerned out." What's the scoop? (Although I guess we'll know for sure within the week.)

It was just a coincidence that I found myself on the phone with this vocation director--and we ended up talking for 45 minutes! (that I KNOW she didn't have). But, it was a great conversation that covered everything--including lots of the stuff that we have talked about on VS. I thought it was funny, because if I'd been discerning, I'd be nervous, but since I wasn't, we just talked. I asked her opinion on a number of topics we've brought up on VS. I'm not going to say who it was, because that feels like name-dropping. It was simply an unexpected serendipity. Maybe she enjoyed talking to someone who WASN'T discerning, and also we are of similar age. Or maybe she was just being polite.

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1311613368' post='2275643']
MS--I know this is off-topic, but, at this time of year, it's common for us to keep count of how many ND's "discerned out" during the postulant year from the original 27. Is it only 4? (I figure your Sister sister is the best source.)

By strange chance I was talking to a Dominican vocational director the other day (no, I'm not discerning!!!) and she said she'd heard that 7 ND postulants had "discerned out." What's the scoop? (Although I guess we'll know for sure within the week.)

It was just a coincidence that I found myself on the phone with this vocation director--and we ended up talking for 45 minutes! (that I KNOW she didn't have). But, it was a great conversation that covered everything--including lots of the stuff that we have talked about on VS. I thought it was funny, because if I'd been discerning, I'd be nervous, but since I wasn't, we just talked. I asked her opinion on a number of topics we've brought up on VS. I'm not going to say who it was, because that feels like name-dropping. It was simply an unexpected serendipity. Maybe she enjoyed talking to someone who WASN'T discerning, and also we are of similar age. Or maybe she was just being polite.
[/quote]

Iggy, that's very exciting! Sometimes it's just good to talk to someone about your faith and life. (Most) vocation directors are obviously very good at answering questions and just "keeping it real" for lack of a better term :) So glad you had a great conversation!

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1311613368' post='2275643']

[/quote]

Hmm...I wonder which number's right!!

It's so cool that you talked to a vd! I completely understand. If I'm talking to orders that I know I won't enter (like the two orders that educated me or the two at my old parish), I'm as cool as a cucumber. Talking to religious orders that I'm seriously discerning, not so much!

I bet she loved talking to you, Iggy! The two VDs I've talked to really liked to talk, which I guess is a good thing!

MissScripture

Okay, so here's how it worked: There were 27 originally. 5 discerned out (with 3 leaving the same week! That was a rough week for everyone!). So, that brought them down to 22. Then this spring, 2 women who had already gone through their postulant year, but had to leave for some reason, rejoined the postulants, and will become novices with them, bringing the total back up to 24. I didn't even know that was possible, but I thought that was pretty cool!