An Old School Catholic Message Board

How To Have Family Refer To Religious

MissScripture

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1311614755' post='2275691']
Okay, so here's how it worked: There were 27 originally. 5 discerned out (with 3 leaving the same week! That was a rough week for everyone!). So, that brought them down to 22. Then this spring, 2 women who had already gone through their postulant year, but had to leave for some reason, rejoined the postulants, and will become novices with them, bringing the total back up to 24. I didn't even know that was possible, but I thought that was pretty cool!
[/quote]

The VD I talked to said that she'd heard from the ND VD that 7 had discerned out. But, I don't know which number is right. We'll find out this week!

One subject I DID discuss with the VD from the other Domnican community was that the ND's seem to lose even more vocations during the novitiate (my theory and she agreed--I think), and why that might be. So we compared the two novitiates, etc. So, I learned a lot of miscellanous stuff about the ND novitiate second-hand, and how this VD sees her Communty's novitiate as different.

I did get some inside scoop on what may be coming in the future with regards to postulants for this VD's Community. I won't say, because it would give away who I was talking to, but, I felt like an "insider" getting the community news.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1311615201' post='2275703']
The VD I talked to said that she'd heard from the ND VD that 7 had discerned out. But, I don't know which number is right. We'll find out this week!

One subject I DID discuss with the VD from the other Domnican community was that the ND's seem to lose even more vocations during the novitiate (my theory and she agreed--I think), and why that might be. So we compared the two novitiates, etc. So, I learned a lot of miscellanous stuff about the ND novitiate second-hand, and how this VD sees her Communty's novitiate as different.

I did get some inside scoop on what may be coming in the future with regards to postulants for this Community. I won't say, because it would give away who I was talking to, but, I felt like an "insider" getting the community news.
[/quote]

is it, is it, is it who I think it is??????????? I was just content to let you have your privacy. Now I want to know :)

Edited by Lisa

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1311615480' post='2275707']
is it, is it, is it who I think it is??????????? I was just content to let you have your privacy. Now I want to know :)
[/quote]

It probably is who you think it is. I wanted to ask her for her autograph. And, I couldn't believe she was actually voluntarily talking to ME!? (Of course, most people love to talk about their jobs, and I mostly asked questions related to her job. It wasn't a particularly personal conversation. Nothing about life and faith, except I thanked her for her Community's prayers for me.)

BTW--It's HER privacy I'm protecting, especially when we were talking about other Communities. (She never said one single negative thing about the ND's (or anyone else)--just differences between various Dominican communities.) In hindsight, I never should have posted where I had heard that the ND's had maybe lost 7 not 5. But, even then, we were both just guessing.

In fact, I now regret and apologize for even mentioning the conversation. No more from me.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

sorry, no more from me. My mouth gets me in trouble...

Back to the topic at hand, I love the idea of Aunt Sister/Auntie Sister. Nice ring to it :) MS- what a celebration that will be when you see your Sister sister and she sees your baby!!!!!!!

IgnatiusofLoyola

Back on topic. My ex-husband's cousin was/is a priest, to the enormoous pride of his mother. However the priest is/was only a couple of years older than my ex, and bluntly, was/is a total dweeb. There was no pride in the family at my ex's PhD--and he was the first one in his immediate family to graduate from high school. But a priest! Now that's a big deal!

Well, the mother of my ex's dweeb priest cousin told the whole family they were to call her son "Father" from now on. My ex came from a HUGE family (his mom was the oldest of 14 kids and the youngest son had 12 kids). So dweeb priest had tons of cousins who had known him since he was a dweeb kid, and there was no way they were going to call him "Father" except maybe in a very formal, public situation, for example, if he was officiating at a family wedding or funeral.

My ex refused to call his dweeb priest cousin anything other than his first name, under any circumstances. He might have called him "Father" sometimes if his dweeb priest cousin's mother (namely, one of his multiple aunts) wasn't so adamant about the huge respect due her holy son. On formal occasions my ex called him nothing, but when talking to others referred to him by his first name.

MS--Whatever you CALL your sister, if, in your heart, she still isn't a goober, then something very precious will have been lost in your relationship. No matter how holy she is, she will always be your goober litttle sister. I'm not saying Peanut needs to call her Aunt Goober or anything. I like "Aunt Sister" actually.

In my family, I have a special title. I am "Auntie." (Even now.) My niece and nephew have three other aunts. (Their father's sisters, and those aunts are Aunt X, Aunt Y, and Aunt Z.) But I am "Auntie"--no first name needed!

[quote name='juchu' timestamp='1311520913' post='2274913']
The sisters among each other usually do not refer to each other by "sister", but just their name. It is kind of the "informal" way. But if you talk to a guest about a certain sister you always use "sister" of course.
[/quote]

Of course this varies between communities. One community I was with emphasized using sister even with each other, because of the significance of the title.

faithcecelia

[quote name='cmariadiaz' timestamp='1311620920' post='2275790']
Of course this varies between communities. One community I was with emphasized using sister even with each other, because of the significance of the title.
[/quote]

At Q the only times we called each other Sister was in jest or when the reader read the Board of Offices each Saturday. It took me ages to figure out who Sister Elizabeth Mary was as she was just Liza! The only person to ever call the prioress Mother was the infirmarian if she was telling her she needed an early night!!! Again, this was in jest as we only ever used first names.

I think you should bypass the Sr. So and So and stir up some real family conflict and sibling rivalry. Just go right to calling her SAINT So and So. So if in 2 days your sister becomes Sister Dominica-- she should henceforth be SAINT DOMINICA to your son/daughter!!!

You can see what a wicked mom I am from this story:

Our family was walking to the car after saying good-bye to Angela while she was a postulant. I noticed a curly, brown Angela hair on me and said, "Oh, look, Angela's hair-- we won't be seeing that for too much longer (the veil, you know). Well her twin sister said, "You can have one of my hairs anytime, Mom, it looks just the same as hers." To which I replied, "Yeah, but yours won't be a relic someday!!!". Needless to say she was livid, though she knew I meant it in jest.:boink:

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1311476898' post='2274660']
So, my sister is a soon-to-be novice with the Nashville Dominicans. She and I discussed what my baby should call her, but never really came up with a solution. How do you refer to Religious who are related to you, or how have you heard other people do it?
[/quote]

Ave Maria Totus Tuus

An answer to the question asked a few posts back...

Final Vows for the Nashville Dominicans was TODAY! Seven Sisters made their Final Profession!

Thanks be to God!

When I madea family visit last summer for my grandmother's 95th birthday party, my rellies called me "brother bruno". I am the only one in religious life in my nominally catholic family and they were all tickled by the fact that they are all now related to a monk!

MissScripture

My sister's name is now Sr. Anne Therese. :dance: :dance2: :dance3:

That's going to be strange to get used to! :smile3:

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1311826297' post='2277363']

[/quote]

:bananarap: :woot: :paco: :w00t:

BEAUTIFUL NAME!!!

Maximilianus

[quote name='Staretz' timestamp='1311690537' post='2276179']
When I madea family visit last summer for my grandmother's 95th birthday party, my rellies called me "brother bruno". I am the only one in religious life in my nominally catholic family and they were all tickled by the fact that they are all now related to a monk!
[/quote]

that's cool

[/quote]

Ah!!!!!!!! Praise the Lord!!!!!

HopefulBride

[/quote]

:woot: Beeeeaaautiful. Was this one of the names she had submitted?