An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Do You Want Your Religious Name To Be?

Little Flower

Little Flower

For those of you who have already thought about it :blush: like i have :blush: or maybe none of you other than me has :blush: :paperbag:

So most places have you submit three names. What would you want your three names (or whatever names you're thinking about) to be?

My first two choices right now would be Sr. Therese Marie and Sr. Marie Therese. They're kinda tied. Then Sr. Marie Bernadette or just Sr. Marie. Or maybe Sr. Marie Veritas or something cool like that. I want Marie to be in it tho.

LaPetiteSoeur

Marie-Catherine Laboure
Catherine Evangeline
Katarina Hildegard

Can you tell who my favorite saint of all time is?

OnlySunshine

My favorite female saints are St. Elizabeth of the Visitation and St. Elizabeth of Hungary. My absolute favorite name in religious life is:

Sr. Mary Elizabeth of the Divine Mercy

It honors the Blessed Mother and my two favorite saints, plus I have had a devotion to Divine Mercy ever since my reversion to the Church in 2007. It is very special to me. If for some reason I was unable to have that name because another Sister had it already or something, I would choose from these:

Sr. Mary Isabella of the Divine Mercy (Isabella is the Italian version of Elizabeth)
Sr. Bethany Marie
Sr. Marie-Therese (for St. Therese of Lisieux)
Sr. Miriam Rose (for St. Rose of Lima, another amesome saint)
Sr. Mary Catherine (for St. Catherine of Siena)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

faithcecelia

At Notting Hill sisters tend to keep or adapt their baptismal (or in my case chosen) name and then add a devotion. I hope to be Sr Faith Cecelia of Christ Crucified.

Studiumecclesiae

I wanted my name to be Sr Caecilia or Sr Cécile but there are already two nuns with this name in my community, as well as Sr Scolastique and Sr Scolastica. :cry: And I'm not sure whether you chose your name or of the Community imposes it on you.

So as I know only few Saints' lives, I must try to know more before I can make up my mind.

About this, have you noticed that in some communities you straight lose your name, but in others you keep yours until you receive the religious habit? I'll have a year (or two) being a Postulant with my own name.

Edited by Studiumecclesiae

faithcecelia

[quote name='Studiumecclesiae' timestamp='1312714921' post='2282909']

About this, have you noticed that in some communities you straight lose your name, but in others you keep yours until you receive the religious habit? I'll have a year (or two) being a Postulant with my own name.
[/quote]

Yes, at Q I was just Ruth til Clothing (have changed my name by deed poll since) and then Sr Ruth after. I *think* at NH I will be Sr Faith immediately but only get the devotion at Clothing - they have a years postulancy too.

FutureSister2009

It depends on the Community. If I become a Franciscan, I think I keep my Baptismal name so I would be Sr. Allyson. Or maybe they would let me change it to my Confirmation name so that would be Sr. Monica.

If I enter with the SSVMs I want Sr. Rosa Mystica, Sr. Mary Gate of Heaven or Sr. Mary the Morning Star.

If I enter into Carmel I would like Sr. Mary Catherine of the Immaculate Heart of Mary or Sr. Mary Bernadette of the Infant Jesus.

Little Flower

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1312693852' post='2282834']
Marie-Catherine Laboure
Catherine Evangeline
Katarina Hildegard

Can you tell who my favorite saint of all time is?
[/quote]
Hmmmmm.... THIS IS GONNA BE HARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

is it *gasp* St. Catherine Laboure??????

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='Little Flower' timestamp='1312744746' post='2283032']
Hmmmmm.... THIS IS GONNA BE HARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

is it *gasp* St. Catherine Laboure??????
[/quote]

How could you have possibly guessed???

:ninja:

MargaretTeresa

I guess it does depend on the community. So, in the spirit of my top three favorite communities (thus far)

FSP: Sr Brit Clare (Clare is one of the patrons of journalism/television... But I'd pry drop the Brit {short form of Baptismal name})
OCD: Sr Mary Margaret of the Cross
PCC: Sr Maria Francis. Yes, spelled like St Francis of Assisi. His feast day is the day before my birthday.

I really like Clare and Francis. And Margaret of Scotland for multiple reasons, including she's basically clan-folk. (I claim all Scottish, although we're Johnston clan :hehe: )

My actual birthday has a well known saint's feast day... Anyone know who it is?

i<3franciscans

Sr. Faustina Clare of the Child Jesus it my favorite.... for three reasons. Faustina is my confirmation name, Clare was St. Francis' BFF and "of the Child Jesus" well I will let y'all guess at that. :saint2: But if not that then I would like Sr. Therese Maria or Sr. Maris Stella.....

Clare~Therese

I haven't really thought about names much, but if I had to choose right now I'd probably say Sr. Marie Faustina of Jesus Crucified.
Or something like that.
I always liked the idea of having a devotional title at the end for some reason.