An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Do You Want Your Religious Name To Be?

Little Flower

i<3franciscans

suggestions.... like leaving notes EVERYWHERE and staring off into space, smiling faintly and saying the same name over and over again

[quote name='beatitude' timestamp='1320445291' post='2331424']
Having come to terms with the rather sad fact that I'll never have a religious name (something I was really looking forward to when I thought I had a vocation to religious life), I'll share what I would have wanted mine to be:

Sister Mary Emmanuel of the Incarnation.

God incarnate is the lynchpin of my spirituality. It is also the reason why I am a Christian. It expresses the meaning of Emmanuel - God-with-us - in such a profound way.
[/quote]

:love: :love: :love:

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1320446493' post='2331431']
maybe they are more like hints
[/quote]

Yeah. Maybe a bit, too, subtle?

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1320446478' post='2331429']
suggestions.... like leaving notes EVERYWHERE and staring off into space, smiling faintly and saying the same name over and over again
[/quote]

I've met a Sister whose Sisters said was not very subtle about her name suggestion. I heard that she would bring up her Saint (a rather obscure one) whenever possible. And then would get really excited whenever there was a mention of anything slightly related to him. :hehe:

i<3franciscans

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1320446677' post='2331433']

Yeah. Maybe a bit, too, subtle?
[/quote]
Oh of course! I could think of more "hints" if I had time... :)

brandelynmarie

[quote name='beatitude' timestamp='1320445291' post='2331424']
Having come to terms with the rather sad fact that I'll never have a religious name (something I was really looking forward to when I thought I had a vocation to religious life), I'll share what I would have wanted mine to be:

Sister Mary Emmanuel of the Incarnation.

God incarnate is the lynchpin of my spirituality. It is also the reason why I am a Christian. It expresses the meaning of Emmanuel - God-with-us - in such a profound way.
[/quote]

Sounds very Dominican. :proud: :love:

What makes you say that? I don't know very much about Dominican spirituality, and I'm always keen to learn more.

* Edited for grammar.

Edited by beatitude

brandelynmarie

This is just my understanding of it...Dominicans have a great love of Jesus as the Incarnate Living Word.

Here is an excerpt of an article: [url="http://www.domlife.org/beingdominican/tradition/tradition_introduction.htm"]http://www.domlife.o...ntroduction.htm[/url]
[left][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif]Men and women of the Order of Preachers, the [i]Dominicans[/i], have been on mission in the United States for more than two centuries. The mission given them by [url="http://www.domlife.org/beingdominican/WhoWeAre/DominicdeGuzman.htm"][b]Dominic de Guzman[/b][/url](1170-1221) from the founding of the Order, is to proclaim the Word of God by preaching, teaching and example, while sustained by life in common. [/font][/left][left][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif]Dominican spirituality is centered in the [b]Word of God.[/b][/font][/left][list]
[*][i][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif]The creative Word[/font][/i][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif] has been proclaimed by such members [/font]

[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif]as[url="http://www.domlife.org/beingdominican/tradition/ThomasAquinas.htm"] [b]Thomas Aquinas[/b][/url] and[url="http://www.domlife.org/beingdominican/tradition/MeisterEckhart.htm"] [b]Meister Eickhart.[/b] [/url][/font]
[*][i][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif]The incarnate Word[/font][/i][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif] has been proclaimed by[url="http://www.domlife.org/beingdominican/tradition/CatherineofSiena.htm"] [b]Catherine of Siena[/b][/url]and all who contemplate and preach the mystery of Jesus Christ. [/font]
[*][i][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif]The revealed Word [/font][/i][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif]has engaged those who have studied and taught theology and Scripture in every century. [/font]
[/list]
[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif]But now that I think about it, you wrote Incarnation as Christ, True God & True Man? Maybe I read too much into it, :hehe2: [/font]

[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif]:oops:[/font]

Edited by brandelynmarie

AccountDeleted

I just wish that one name would dig itself deep into my brain and stay there but I don't have a lot of favourites and I like so many names that I can never decide - I want it to be special to me, but so far, nothing strike me. I have a deep affection fro St Michael but having had that name twice before in places where things didn't work out, I hesitate to try it again. I love St Teresa but don't like the name Teresa very much. I love St John of the Cross but his name has bad connations for me after something that happened at the last Carmel, so I started thinking of Benedictine names but just don't know....

Anyway.... who knows if I will ever need one, and if I do, maybe I should just trust the Abbess to come up with one.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

Okay, after MORE thought :) I REALLY like Sr. Mary-Therese of the Visitation and the Seven Sorrows.

Clare~Therese

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1320454083' post='2331526']
Something with the title "of the Eternal High Priest"
[/quote]

That's razzle dazzle.