An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Do You Want Your Religious Name To Be?

Little Flower

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1345233908' post='2469281']
Exactly! I don't know how Benedictines operate, but with the Poor Clares, each house is autonomous, so the Mother is seen as the direct successor of Saint Clare. I vaguely remember a tidbit from In This House of Brede concerning Benedictine Mothers, but I cannot recall it. I find Benedictine life so interesting, since it is such an ancient form of monasticism. You are so lucky to be called to that order!

I know what you mean about getting too attached, and possibly even upset with Mother is she chose a different name. That would be so tragic! I would rather walk around Sister Abraham for the rest of my life than have a seemingly more fitting name but hold a tiny grudge or something against Mother for choosing it over one I liked better.
[/quote]

Yes, Benedictine houses are autonomous. St. Benedict never intended to found an order as such, his Rule was always intended for independent, autonomous houses. Benedictines are amesome.
:love:
I know myself too well and I know that even with three submissions even if I liked them all most likely I'd secretly be more attached to one than the others. I think it would be easier to get used to a name you might not like at first (let's face it, that could happen) than to get over having the name you wanted passed by.

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1345234138' post='2469286']
Sometimes I think it would be fun to do that since I've always wondered if the Holy Spirit would inspire the same name you love. However, my community has the Sisters to choose their own name. You can keep your baptismal name and add "Sr." or take an entirely different name. One of the new novices thought about taking Sr. Catherine but decided to keep her baptismal name at the last second. What's really strange is that some of the Sisters choose to take a religious name and are still sometimes called their baptismal name. It really confused me, especially when you aren't sure it's the same Sister. :hehe2:

I'm thinking about keeping my baptismal name, but I love Sr. Mary Elizabeth.
[/quote]

That sounds terribly confusing! I get confused enough trying to figure out which sisters are Mary [something] and which are Marie [something]. You'd think it would be easy but when people talk fast it's difficult to tell.

I know one of the sister's at St. Cecilia's kept her baptismal name, I think she had a particular devotion to that saint so Mother let her keep her baptismal name but she's the only one I know of to do that. My baptismal name doesn't have a saint so it's not something I'd ever choose to do.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1345234686' post='2469290']
That sounds terribly confusing! I get confused enough trying to figure out which sisters are Mary [something] and which are Marie [something]. You'd think it would be easy but when people talk fast it's difficult to tell.

I know one of the sister's at St. Cecilia's kept her baptismal name, I think she had a particular devotion to that saint so Mother let her keep her baptismal name but she's the only one I know of to do that. My baptismal name doesn't have a saint so it's not something I'd ever choose to do.
[/quote]

My baptismal name only has a male saint counterpart which, incidentally, is my dad's name though my mom didn't plan it that way. There was one saint who's baptismal name was my name but everyone knows her as her saint name. :)

Actually, I just looked up my baptismal name and there IS one blessed who has my name. Funnily enough, she is from the country where my community's Motherhouse is! :shock:

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1345236564' post='2469305']
My baptismal name only has a male saint counterpart which, incidentally, is my dad's name though my mom didn't plan it that way. There was one saint who's baptismal name was my name but everyone knows her as her saint name. :)

Actually, I just looked up my baptismal name and there IS one blessed who has my name. Funnily enough, she is from the country where my community's Motherhouse is! :shock:
[/quote]

That's so razzle dazzle! I always wished my name was a saint's name, the fact that it's not is part of the reason I really wanted to be able to change my name after entering.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1345237945' post='2469313']
That's so razzle dazzle! I always wished my name was a saint's name, the fact that it's not is part of the reason I really wanted to be able to change my name after entering.
[/quote]

I always thought that the only saint name in my name was my middle name. Honestly though, my parents did not purposely name me after any saint so any similarities are entirely coincidental. I do love that I was baptized on the Feast of the Assumption, though. :)

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1345238340' post='2469324']
I always thought that the only saint name in my name was my middle name. Honestly though, my parents did not purposely name me after any saint so any similarities are entirely coincidental. I do love that I was baptized on the Feast of the Assumption, though. :)
[/quote]

I wish I knew what day I was baptised on. I know I was Confirmed on the feast day of St. Ambrose, who I love so I was very pleased at that.

TheresaThoma

I would love to use Miriam as part of the name, I'm not sure about the second part yet. I'm sure it will change a bit before it actually comes time!

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1344529677' post='2465042']
There are too many saints I like! Luckily none of the sisters at St. Cecilia's have any of the names I like, but you can submit three and I have more than that.

Sr Mary Agnes
Sr Mary Paul
Sr Maria Miguel
Sr Mary Ambrose
[b]Sr Maria Albertina[/b]
Sr Mary Moses

I'm sure I could go on if I tried!
[/quote]
ALBERTINA! AHHHHHHH!

[quote name='FutureCarmeliteClaire' timestamp='1345239333' post='2469336']
ALBERTINA! AHHHHHHH!
[/quote]

You've heard of her?! That never happens!

filius_angelorum

As a Benedictine oblate, my name is Brother Augustine (of Canterbury, though that's not part of the official name), although I originally wanted it to be Brother Hildegard. The master of oblates seemed to suggest that it was not the custom in that house to take female names.

I think, now, if I were to join a congregation with Benedictine spirituality, I would choose someone like Aelred, Hildegard, Cassian, or somesuch. That, however, is purely speculative.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1345239785' post='2469342']
You've heard of her?! That never happens!
[/quote]

She's just freaking amazing! That's all! :)

Thanks to Saintly Youth of Modern Times by Joan Carroll Cruz, I do know who she is!

[quote name='FutureCarmeliteClaire' timestamp='1345240049' post='2469346']
She's just freaking amazing! That's all! :)

Thanks to Saintly Youth of Modern Times by Joan Carroll Cruz, I do know who she is!
[/quote]

She is amazing. I love virgin martyrs. Agnes, Maria Goretti, Albertina . . .

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1345240088' post='2469347']
She is amazing. I love virgin martyrs. Agnes, Maria Goretti, Albertina . . .
[/quote]
Cecelia, Cristina Mrad Campos, Caroline Kozka, Antonia Mesina, Josephina Vileseca.

And last but not least, one of my favorites:

Laura Vicuna! Have you hear of her?

[quote name='FutureCarmeliteClaire' timestamp='1345240409' post='2469350']
Cecelia, Cristina Mrad Campos, Caroline Kozka, Antonia Mesina, Josephina Vileseca.

And last but not least, one of my favorites:

Laura Vicuna! Have you hear of her?
[/quote]

I hadn't, but I've just looked her up. Amazing!

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1345240624' post='2469352']
I hadn't, but I've just looked her up. Amazing!
[/quote]
Yes. :)

OnlySunshine

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1345238464' post='2469326']
I wish I knew what day I was baptised on. I know I was Confirmed on the feast day of St. Ambrose, who I love so I was very pleased at that.
[/quote]

You don't have your baptismal certificate anywhere? That's how I discovered mine because my mom couldn't remember the date. It was in my baby book as August 14th, 1983. I was 3 weeks old when I was baptized.

ETA: the date is wrong! I was baptized on Sunday, August 14th, 1983 not the Monday following. Still very neat, though, because it's St. Maximilian Kolbe's feast day and I used his prayer of Consecration for Our Lady when I did my Marian Consecration. :)