An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Do You Want Your Religious Name To Be?

Little Flower

Catholicterp7

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1312898870' post='2284730']
Whoa. Clicked the wrong thread. Since I'm here...hmm...a few ideas:

1. Sister Mary Galadriel
2. Sister Princess Buttercup
3. Sister Samwise Gamgee of the Shire and the Holy Face

Oh, never mind. :jester:
[/quote]

Jaja!! :hehe2: I love the second one!! I think that might have to be added to my list.

If I had to decide right now it would be:
Sister Solanus Regina of the Holy Wounds.
Sister Mary Emmanuel of Divine Mercy
Sister Peter John Marie of the Crucified Lord.

Solanus Casey has had a huge impact on my discernment in many different ways. I made my consecration to Our Lady on the feast of Our Lady Queen of Heaven hence Regina.
Mary Emmanuel is to honor both Mary and my love of the Eucharist as Emmanuel means God with us.
Peter is for both Peter of Verona, a Dominican Saint, and for Peter the first Pope and John Marie is for the John Marie Vianney.

JMJ+ <3

OnlySunshine

[quote name='AveMariaPurissima' timestamp='1345507452' post='2470925']
LOL! That would definitely have been amusing! But no...I'm going to be Sr. Teresa! (actually, I'm not 100% clear on whether I'm going to be called that or Teresita, but that's the general idea!)
[/quote]

How very Carmelite! After St. Teresa of Avila or the Andes? I would love to be named for St. Teresa of the Andes because I really enjoy learning about her. :)

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Catholicterp7' timestamp='1345518789' post='2471058']
oops I forgot to say, I also really like Sister Amata Marie or Sister Amata Filia.
[/quote]

Amata is really pretty! :)

AveMariaPurissima

I'm not sure which Teresa I'd be named after...I didn't get around to asking, although Teresita sounds kind of like St. Thérèse, who is one of my all-time favorite saints, along with St. Teresa of the Andes. So....well, all the St. Teresa's are good!!

LittleWaySoul

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1345500427' post='2470836']
I'm falling in love with St. Augustine of Hippo. In fact, I adopted him as my patron for this year and I have a blog based on his quote "Our Hearts are restless..." If I were to get the name Sr. Mary Augustine, I wouldn't object. :)
[/quote]
:smile3:
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAWJFbUYT_w"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAWJFbUYT_w[/url]

OnlySunshine

[quote name='LittleWaySoul' timestamp='1345584419' post='2471449']
:smile3:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAWJFbUYT_w[/media]
[/quote]

I want to see this movie so bad! St. Augustine's writings are so poetic and they speak to my heart and soul. As some people cling to St. John of the Cross' writings, I cling to St. Augustine's. I relate to him so well because went off and did my own thing and was a Catholic in name only. I wasn't a professed atheist or pagan but I certainly acted like one. St. Monica is wonderful and God definitely heard her prayer! :)

Catholicterp7

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1345520792' post='2471066']
Amata is really pretty! :)
[/quote]
Thank you! When I was discerning the cloistered Dominican life a Dominican Sister from an active community suggested that I read Amata Means Beloved and not only did I love it but I could identify with Emily in a sense. Also in the past few years I've really been experiencing God's personal love for me which is something I've struggled with a lot in the past.

Even though I want to let Mother chose for me, I have a teensy tiny attachment to the name Ambrose. I think it's because I wanted to give one of my sons the name Ambrose, and I was confirmed on his feast day. Our first abbess was Mere Ambrosia. :)

LittleWaySoul

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1345592286' post='2471554']
Even though I want to let Mother chose for me,
[/quote]
Does the Mother of the order typically chose? I was under the impression that the nun-to-be would choose her name. How does that work?

[quote name='LittleWaySoul' timestamp='1345596573' post='2471602']
Does the Mother of the order typically chose? I was under the impression that the nun-to-be would choose her name. How does that work?
[/quote]

In my (future) community, Mother choses the name but the novice-to-be can submit three suggestions if she wishes. I was saying a few days ago that I wanted to not submit any names at all and just let Mother chose for me - the brief discussion is page 23 of this thread if you're interested.

[quote name='LittleWaySoul' timestamp='1345596573' post='2471602']
[/quote]

In most orders I have heard of, the three name method is used, and the Mother almost always has the final say. In the larger orders, choosing a name is a difficult task because you cannot choose a name that a Sister already has. I think this is another reason why the Mother/Superior often has the final say-she can decide whether a name is too similar, etc to another Sister's. I also think it has to do with the fact that, in the Bible, the called person rarely, if ever, chooses their own name. It is bestowed upon them by God, which communities mirror in letting the higher authority bestow the name upon the Sister.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1345598757' post='2471614']
In most orders I have heard of, the three name method is used, and the Mother almost always has the final say. In the larger orders, choosing a name is a difficult task because you cannot choose a name that a Sister already has. I think this is another reason why the Mother/Superior often has the final say-she can decide whether a name is too similar, etc to another Sister's. I also think it has to do with the fact that, in the Bible, the called person rarely, if ever, chooses their own name. It is bestowed upon them by God, which communities mirror in letting the higher authority bestow the name upon the Sister.
[/quote]

I am really glad that the names that I love haven't been chosen yet. :)

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1345604044' post='2471703']
I am really glad that the names that I love haven't been chosen yet. :)
[/quote]

That's great! Must be a God thing. :saint:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1345604184' post='2471706']
That's great! Must be a God thing. :saint:
[/quote]

I'm going to have to pray EXTRA hard if I enter and receive the habit to see which name God wants me to have. Sr. Agnes of the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal told me that she heard "Agnes" distinctly and Sr. Lucille (the Sister's Superior and Foundress) heard it also. She is known as Sr. Agnes Mary.

It's going to be really hard to choose. One of the novices that was recently clothed in June was going to choose the name Sr. Catherine but ended up keeping her baptismal name and just adding "Sister" to it. I still love Sr. Mary Elizabeth but Sr. Mary Augustine is growing on me. I may not be able to use the "Mary" part though because the Sisters usually only have one name.

If that's the case, I'm just going to use Sr. Miriam or another version of Mary. :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae