An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Do You Want Your Religious Name To Be?

Little Flower

Sr. Maria Emmanuel  :nun3:

That's really pretty.  :)

I'm very stuck on Sr. Miriam.  My community already has a Sr. Elizabeth but they don't have a Sr. Miriam.   :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

What is the rule when it comes to picking names?

Most communities allow the future novice to submit 3 names to the Superior and the Superior prays about it and picks one of those names or an entirely different name which is conferred upon the novice's investiture in the habit.  Also, most communities do not allow duplicate names or very similar names such as:

Sr. Christine

Sr. Christina

Other communities allow the candidate to choose their own name or keep their baptismal name (adding "Sr." to it).  Some will even allow the use of another name that is similar to one that is already in use.  One of the problems is, obviously, that there is added confusion.

IgnatiusofLoyola

I'm very stuck on Sr. Miriam.  My community already has a Sr. Elizabeth but they don't have a Sr. Miriam.   :)

I've always liked the name "Miriam." As I understand it, from skimming several background pieces on this, which (not surprisingly) don't all say the same thing, the name "Miriam" comes pretty close to what Mary's name might have been in Hebrew.

And, the good thing about the name "Miriam" is that it is a variation of "Mary," but is less likely to be confusing for others, especially outside the Community, since there are so many Sisters named "Mary" or "Marie"--especially in Communities where every Sister has a version of "Mary" as at least one of her names. 

Warning: Digression ahead! :offtopic:

As you may or may not know, the Summit Dominicans have a Sister named Judith Miryam. I especially like this spelling of the name. Apparently (at least according to one source) this is the way the Hebrew version of "Mary" was spelled during Medieval times. Other variations on the Hebrew version of the name (used in different times and cited by different sources) include "Maryam" and "Mariam."

Also, one source I read said that "Mary" in Aramaic would have been something like "Mariamme," (with some other possible spelling variations). And, since different areas had different accents, there were almost certainly some variations in pronounciation (including things like how many syllables the word had, and where the accent was placed).

The great thing about God is that whichever version we use--and at this stage it appears that it is probably impossible to find a version of the name of "Mary" in Aramaic or in Hebrew that every scholar would agree on as the "correct" one--God understands who we mean, no matter how the name is prounounced and spelled. (Well, within reason, of course--"Captain Kirk" is NOT another version of the name "Mary".)

Sorry for the digression. (Okay, not THAT sorry or I wouldn't do it.) I have my Master's in Library Science, and although I haven't worked as a librarian for a number of years, the habit (okay, near obsession) with "looking things up" has never left me. I don't know whether I got my degree in Library Science because I like looking things up, or vice versa. :bible: I used to do it all the time, even as a kid. :nerd:

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

ChristinaTherese

The great thing about God is that whichever version we use--and at this stage it appears that it is probably impossible to find a version of the name of "Mary" in Aramaic or in Hebrew that every scholar would agree on as the "correct" one--God understands who we mean, no matter how the name is prounounced and spelled. (Well, within reason, of course--"Captain Kirk" is NOT another version of the name "Mary".)

But I really wanted to have Sr. Captain Kirk Veronica! :cry:

Real:

Sr. Mary Therese (I doubt that I'll get that anyway)

Sr. Mary Peter

I'm not really attached to those, I would be glad to take almost anything, I think, but I like them both. Especially Sr. Mary Peter.

Has anyone ever heard of a sister with the "suffix" "... of the Good Shepherd" on her name? Like: "Sr. Mary Benedicta of the Good Shepherd", or such?

Has anyone ever heard of a sister with the "suffix" "... of the Good Shepherd" on her name? Like: "Sr. Mary Benedicta of the Good Shepherd", or such?

I know I have but I can't remember what community.  I've loved that title for a long time.

Sr. Miriam of the Good Shepherd has a nice ring to it.  ;)

If I added a title to my favorite religious name, I'd love these:

Sr. Miriam of the Good Shepherd

Sr. Miriam of the Lamb of God

Sr. Miriam of the Blessed Sacrament

Sr. Miriam of the Merciful Heart of Jesus

Sr. Miriam of the Divine Mercy

Sr. Miriam of the Most Precious Blood

(my two favorites are in bold)

I have a devotion to Divine Mercy and have recently developed a devotion to the Most Precious Blood.  One of my favorite prayers after the Consecration of the Precious Blood is:

Most Precious Blood, wash over me and cleanse me from my sins that I may be worthy to approach the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar in praise and thanksgiving to Your Holy and Sacred Name.

Catholicterp7

If I have a title I would want either something about the Holy Wounds or "of Christ the High Priest" 

JMJ+ :heart: 

Erin Kathleen Holmes

Sr. Catherine Felicity (St. Catherine Laboure is my confirmation saint)
Sr. Mary Michael of the Sacred Heart of Jesus

Or I don't mind if the Mother Prioress chose my name

Now that I have thought about it  Sr Stella Maris has grown on me especially since it would most likely be shortened to Sr Stella. I could handle being Sr Stella.

So I guess the names stand as;

Sr Stella Maris

Sr Miriam Celeste

Sr Miriam Edith