An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Do You Want Your Religious Name To Be?

Little Flower

HopefulBride

[quote name="TheresaThoma" post="2577216" timestamp="1367184110"]

hmmm Sr MF or Sr MAF very intriguing....[/quote

Do you have any guesses?]

TheresaThoma

Well I know it won't be Francine and I don't think it would be Francis either. After consulting a list of saint names that start with F my top ones are (in no particular order) Felicity, Faustina, and Fidelis.

I have no clue on Sr MAJ maybe Joseph for the second part?

TheresaThoma

Well I know it won't be Francine and I don't think it would be Francis either. After consulting a list of saint names that start with F my top ones are (in no particular order) Felicity, Faustina, and Fidelis.

I have no clue on Sr MAJ maybe Joseph for the second part?

• 2 years later...

My middle name is Carson, but my first name is Abigail. I've never gone by Abigail. Do you think they would let me be Sr. Abigail? I just love the meaning of it ("father's joy"), but I'm worried they won't let me do that since it's already my name.

• 4 weeks later...

Having come to terms with the rather sad fact that I'll never have a religious name (something I was really looking forward to when I thought I had a vocation to religious life), I'll share what I would have wanted mine to be:

Sister Mary Emmanuel of the Incarnation.

I am resurrecting this, just for fun. :) I think that this is an interesting game to play because it shows what's important to you spiritually. My choice of name hasn't changed. My spirituality can still pretty much be summed up by the word 'Emmanuel' (God-with-us). Another name I would have liked is Sister Charles Maria of the Beatitudes (for Bl. Charles de Foucauld).

IgnatiusofLoyola

I am resurrecting this, just for fun. :) I think that this is an interesting game to play because it shows what's important to you spiritually. My choice of name hasn't changed. My spirituality can still pretty much be summed up by the word 'Emmanuel' (God-with-us). Another name I would have liked is Sister Charles Maria of the Beatitudes (for Bl. Charles de Foucauld).

There is actually a Sister Emmanuel on Phatmass, although she hasn't posted in awhile. (She has a different user name.) She is the closest to a Saint of anyone I will ever be blessed to meet. I think it's a great name!

My middle name is Carson, but my first name is Abigail. I've never gone by Abigail. Do you think they would let me be Sr. Abigail? I just love the meaning of it ("father's joy"), but I'm worried they won't let me do that since it's already my name.

It depends on the Community. I've heard of at least two Communities that give novices of option of using their birth name as long as it's a Saint's name, although the final decision on the name is up to the Superior. If I'm aware of two Communities, I'm sure that others have this custom, as well.

However (and I'm sure I'm telling you something you know already) I wouldn't suggest bringing this up early in your conversations with a Community. You wouldn't want to the Community to think that this was one of the important factors in your decision. If you find yourself seriously discerning a Community, I suspect that the topic of how names are chosen will have already come up in conversation.

Spem in alium

I do have a couple of ideas (I believe I still have at least a year to make up my mind). I may even keep my baptismal name. I like it, and it has strong Biblical connections (I have the choice to take a new name, or keep my own). 

For my mystery/title, I deeply love - "--- of the Love of God". It has great meaning for me.

There is actually a Sister Emmanuel on Phatmass, although she hasn't posted in awhile. (She has a different user name.) She is the closest to a Saint of anyone I will ever be blessed to meet. I think it's a great name!

I have been wondering how she is.  In one of her last posts, Indwelling Trinity [her Phatmass name] wrote that her illness was terminal.

Journeywithchrist

Sister (my first name) Paul or Sister Paul if I can't keep my first name. Anything with Paul in it really. Honestly I'm not too concerned about a religious name, I like the idea of it being a surprise!

Honestly I'm not too concerned about a religious name, I like the idea of it being a surprise!

Me too! :hehe: 

TheresaThoma

I had thought of some other names. (Miriam or Edith or Johanna) but one close friend asked, will you use your baptismal/confirmation name? I was a convert so they are the same for me. My confirmation name is Teresa Thoma (after St Edith Stien and St Thomas Aquinas). After thinking about it a bit I am really starting to like it. I'm still holding onto the others but it is starting to become my favorite.

I like:

Sr. Marie Celeste (Galileo's daughter was a Poor Clare named Sr. Maria Celeste - a name she chose because she shared her father's love for astronomy).  I also like how it evokes the eternal heavens, thereby reminding others of the prophetic nature of religious life. 

Sr. Marie Karol (after JP2, and my mother's name is Carol!)

Sr. Mary Alice (I love Alice Von Hildebrand, I know she's not canonized but I think it would be neat to live in the legacy of a woman who championed authentic femininity)

Sr. Mary Sophie or Sophia (because wisdom is always a good virtue to pursue!)

I like this thread :) it's fun to learn more about each person's particular devotions.