An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Do You Want Your Religious Name To Be?

Little Flower

I had thought of some other names. (Miriam or Edith or Johanna) but one close friend asked, will you use your baptismal/confirmation name? I was a convert so they are the same for me. My confirmation name is Teresa Thoma (after St Edith Stien and St Thomas Aquinas). After thinking about it a bit I am really starting to like it. I'm still holding onto the others but it is starting to become my favorite.

My confirmation name is Elizabeth. I chose it for Mary's cousin (one of my favourite women of the Bible) and my sister who died when she was a baby. Later on I discovered Bl. Elisabeth of the Trinity and fell in love with her too, so I would be happy to be Sister Mary Elizabeth or something like that - the whole Visitation is contained in that name. But I noticed that Mary Elizabeths seem to abound in most convents, and I would be unlikely to get a name that six other people had got before me. ;)

AveMariaPurissima

Top of the list right now is

Sr. Mary Magdalene of the Holy Eucharist :heart:

I also like Sr. Dominic Therese. :heart:

Sr. Faustina Therese or Sr. Magdalene Therese. I really love how some communities give their religious titles such as "of Our Lady of Grace" or "of the Holy Eucharist." I for one would love "of His Merciful Love" or "of the Holy Feet of Jesus." The last one may be a bit peculiar but it would be appropriate if St. Mary Magdalene was part of my religious name. I've felt so drawn to the Holy Feet of Jesus for a long time. It's hard to explain why I love it so much.

HopefulHeart

Just off the top of my head...

Sr. Maria Verbi (Mary of the Word. I really like this one.)

Sr. Paulina Rose

MarysLittleFlower

I'm thinking of Sr Maria (and then my baptismal name). I really wanted Mary somewhere there. If I can't have my Baptismal name, I'd choose a Saint I like (Therese, Gemma, Philomena). There are also Blesseds and Servants of God I have a devotion to but I'm not sure if it has to be a Saints name.

As for the title - Im thinking of "of the Divine Will", or "of the Holy Face", and I always liked "of the Sacred Heart" but "of the Merciful Heart of Jesus" was suggested before and I like it even more.... It includes the Divine Mercy devotion that God used to bring me into the Church :)

Sr. Faustina Therese or Sr. Magdalene Therese. I really love how some communities give their religious titles such as "of Our Lady of Grace" or "of the Holy Eucharist." I for one would love "of His Merciful Love" or "of the Holy Feet of Jesus." The last one may be a bit peculiar but it would be appropriate if St. Mary Magdalene was part of my religious name. I've felt so drawn to the Holy Feet of Jesus for a long time. It's hard to explain why I love it so much.

One title I really love is 'of the Last Agony'. I have a strong devotion to Christ in Gethsemane. This title encompasses his suffering there as well as the suffering of the Passion, and the love he received from the ministering angel and the friends who stayed steadfast. It sounds a bit grim as a name though, and reminds me of those scary schoolteaching nuns that my mother shudders to remember, so I probably wouldn't request it :P

MarysLittleFlower

I love the titles in religious names. I kind of wish I could go through life with some devotion attached to my name. Like MLF of the Merciful Heart of   Jesus  :love: however they are only for religious and my real name already has a Christian meaning :)

My middle name is Carson, but my first name is Abigail. I've never gone by Abigail. Do you think they would let me be Sr. Abigail? I just love the meaning of it ("father's joy"), but I'm worried they won't let me do that since it's already my name.

Well in some communities you choose your name, in some the superior assigns it with varying degrees of input from the to-be-named sister.

Lots of congregations have the option of using your baptismal name, in part or in whole (maybe this might depend on whether or not there already is another Sister Abigail).  Summit has a Mary Veronica whose birth certificate says Veronica, and the Whitesville Passionists have a Mary Andrea who was initially Andrea.

So, no guarantees, and I certainly wouldn't make that the first question you ask in discernment meetings, but it would likely be possible.

AccountDeleted

My middle name is Carson, but my first name is Abigail. I've never gone by Abigail. Do you think they would let me be Sr. Abigail? I just love the meaning of it ("father's joy"), but I'm worried they won't let me do that since it's already my name.

It depends on the community, but while you wait, you can read about Sister Abigail. :P

A Force of Habit: A Sister Abigail Mystery

Can a frail nun with thick-soled shoes, pop-bottle glasses, and a weakness for maple syrup stop a growing string of murders at the Tranquil Garden Nursing Home? Sister Abigail, a 90-something nun with a talent for storytelling, finds her latest tale of murder taking on a life of its own fifty years after the fact. She manages to uncover a dark secret within the walls of Tranquil Garden that threatens to lead to her own untimely death.

http://www.amazon.com/Force-Habit-Sister-Abigail-Mystery/dp/1462034977

srabigail.jpg

Thank you guys! It's not a deal breaker or anything to me. I was just a bit curious :)

It depends on the community, but while you wait, you can read about Sister Abigail. :P

A Force of Habit: A Sister Abigail Mystery

Can a frail nun with thick-soled shoes, pop-bottle glasses, and a weakness for maple syrup stop a growing string of murders at the Tranquil Garden Nursing Home? Sister Abigail, a 90-something nun with a talent for storytelling, finds her latest tale of murder taking on a life of its own fifty years after the fact. She manages to uncover a dark secret within the walls of Tranquil Garden that threatens to lead to her own untimely death.

http://www.amazon.com/Force-Habit-Sister-Abigail-Mystery/dp/1462034977

srabigail.jpg

Hahaha, thank you for the recommendation! :smile4:

• 4 weeks later...
DominicanHeart

If it's permitted, I've been thinking about Latin titles of Our Lady.

Sr. Ave Maria 

Sr. Maris Stella

Sr. Regina Caeli 

Sr. Rosa Mystica

I was thinking about how I feel about possibly keeping my given name. I don't really have strong feelings either way. But I realized that it is not likely as it sounds very similar to a name that is very common in the community. So from a pratical stand point I would most likely be choosing a new name anyways! 

The community that I have applied to takes religious names.  Every single person within this community that has asked me if I had a name in mind has also expressed their hope that I keep my baptismal name, which is Nicholas!  I know I am probably a bit biased, but it IS a good name, named after a great saint (whom I love), it suits me quite well, and they don't have anyone with my name yet...so thats a major bonus!   

I do think that I have a pretty good idea of what my religious name will be, though I am not 100% sure of what title I would take yet.  However, I won't speculate.  And unfortunately, won't share either!   I have no idea what the Lord will do with me between now and then, and some things are better kept secret until the timing is right   :)   

:o)Katherine:o)

If it was assigned I would gladly accept whatever name I would be given. However, if I had a choiceI have always been drawn to:

Sr. Augustine Ignatius    

For those that are curious it is Ignatius of Antioch

If it's permitted, I've been thinking about Latin titles of Our Lady.

Sr. Ave Maria 

Sr. Maris Stella

Sr. Regina Caeli 

Sr. Rosa Mystica

not sure about the others but I know for certain the community in your avatar already has a Sr Ave Maria :)