An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Do You Want Your Religious Name To Be?

Little Flower

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Queen'sDaughter' timestamp='1339435180' post='2443507']
That is a beautiful reflection, Mater. I never really thought of Marys' visiting Elizabeth as the very first Eucharistic procession. Definitly food for thought.

I am still enamored with the name Rose.

I will likely submit as my choices Sister Rose Angeli, Sister Rose Pieta, and Sister Rose. Or, perhaps Dolorosa. Possible titles would be of the Will of God, or of the Cross, or of the Angels.

So many choices...
[/quote]

I love the name Rose, too. One of my favorite saints is St. Rose of Lima. She's amazing! :)

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1339444410' post='2443578']
I'm thinking of Brother David Mary of the Holy Cross.
[/quote]

One of the sisters at St. Cecilia's is Sister Mary David. She's American too. :hehe2:

PhuturePriest

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1339444516' post='2443579']
One of the sisters at St. Cecilia's is Sister Mary David. She's American too. :hehe2:
[/quote]

Mary David, David Mary, potato potato. :P

I don't care what my Religious name is as long as I have "Mary" in it. I have a very big Marian devotion.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1339444685' post='2443581']
Mary David, David Mary, potato potato. :P

I don't care what my Religious name is as long as I have "Mary" in it. [s]I have[/s] Catholics have a very big Marian devotion.
[/quote]

Fixed it. :P

Jesting aside, I want my religious name to be Sr. Mary [Something]. After all, who better to be your patron in the religious life than the Blessed Virgin herself?

MissScripture

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1339434742' post='2443504']
Still sticking like glue to [b]Sr. Mary Elizabeth[/b]! I cannot deny that the Visitation is one of my many motivations to discern.

Fun fact: Yesterday, we had the Corpus Christi procession after Mass and the very last altar outside was dedicated to the Visitation! I think it's because of the Respect Life Ministry. We have been talking about the Visitation in our Bible Study group (the subject I keep bringing up!) and the coordinator for the Bible Study is also the coordinator for Respect Life. I will have to ask her tomorrow night! I was so excited to see an image of the Visitation.

As Rosalind Moss (who wrote our Bible Study guide) said, the Visitation was the very first Eucharistic Procession from Mary to Elizabeth. Mary became the first Monstrance, which is undeniably beautiful. :love:

If I absolutely cannot have Sr. Mary Elizabeth, I would request Sr. Bethany Marie or maybe Sr. Mary Isabel (a variant form of Elizabeth).
[/quote]
My sister's baptismal name is Mary Elizabeth!

OnlySunshine

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1339445788' post='2443590']
My sister's baptismal name is Mary Elizabeth!
[/quote]

Beautiful! If, somehow, I don't enter religious life and I have children, I would love to name a girl Mary Elizabeth. It'd be a nice memory of my friend who is entering religious life again in 3 days (but leaving in 2). Her religious name will be Sr. Mary Elizabeth in honor of Bl. Elizabeth of the Trinity. :)

PhuturePriest

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1339445438' post='2443586']

Jesting aside, I want my religious name to be Sr. Mary [Something]. After all, who better to be your patron in the religious life than the Blessed Virgin herself?
[/quote]

Actually, I have met some devout Catholics that don't have any sort of Marian devotion at all. They say they do not understand why we have such a big devotion to her. So there. :P

Exactly.

MissScripture

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1339446079' post='2443592']
Beautiful! If, somehow, I don't enter religious life and I have children, I would love to name a girl Mary Elizabeth. It'd be a nice memory of my friend who is entering religious life again in 3 days (but leaving in 2). Her religious name will be Sr. Mary Elizabeth in honor of Bl. Elizabeth of the Trinity. :)
[/quote]
My parents also thought about naming my sister Anne or Anna, but they couldn't decide. And my Dad wanted Elizabeth Maria (my mom and I both have the middle name Maria) but my mom didn't want any of the nicknames that come with Elizabeth, so they flipped it to Mary Elizabeth, as Mary is the name of both of our Grandmas. Now, my sister's religious name is Anne Therese, and another Sister in my sister's class, who my parents "adopted" has Anna as part of her name. So, they got their Anne AND Anna as well!

Back on topic, if I weren't married and had to chose a religious name, I would probably be like my sister and change my mind every week. One that she thought of that I really love, though, was Michaela Fidelis.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1339445438' post='2443586']

[/quote]
[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1339446365' post='2443594']
Actually, I have met some devout Catholics that don't have any sort of Marian devotion at all. They say they do not understand why we have such a big devotion to her. So there. :P

Exactly.
[/quote]

Yep, my mom just started growing a devotion to Mama Mary after everything I told her. Bible Study helped, too. I feel such sorrow for those who don't know the Blessed Virgin because they don't know what they are missing out on by cultivating a deep relationship with her who brought Christ into the world. I have grown so much closer to Jesus because of Mary that I can't imagine separating the two. If Jesus didn't want His mother to be lonely as He was dying on the cross and handed His mother over to John, I can just imagine the sorrow He feels when someone says something awful about His mother or doesn't give her the respect due.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1339446921' post='2443601']
My parents also thought about naming my sister Anne or Anna, but they couldn't decide. And my Dad wanted Elizabeth Maria (my mom and I both have the middle name Maria) but my mom didn't want any of the nicknames that come with Elizabeth, so they flipped it to Mary Elizabeth, as Mary is the name of both of our Grandmas. Now, my sister's religious name is Anne Therese, and another Sister in my sister's class, who my parents "adopted" has Anna as part of her name. So, they got their Anne AND Anna as well!

Back on topic, if I weren't married and had to chose a religious name, I would probably be like my sister and change my mind every week. One that she thought of that I really love, though, was Michaela Fidelis.
[/quote]

There are so many beautiful saints out there that it really is difficult to choose! I used to want Sr. Mary Anne Therese of the Sacred Heart because of my devotion to the Sacred Heart and Divine Mercy. Now, I LOVE Sr. Mary Elizabeth of the Divine Mercy and I think that name will stick because I've held on to it for about a year now.

I love that story of how your sister Sister got her name! My confirmation name is Anne after the mother of Our Lady, so I have a special love for that name. I love my baptismal name, too, but it's not a saint's name. My mom just named me after a girl she used to babysit and she loved the little girl's name. Not many people have my name, either. :)

Fun fact -- I found out my mom's Confirmation name is also Anne. I didn't know this at the time of my Confirmation, but it is so amesome to find it out now.

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

HopefulBride

Now knowing that this may change at any time, I've thought of the following names (it's likely I won't ask for either because right now there's a particuar saint I'm totally identifying with and I've totally adopted him as my spiritual father)

Sr Mary John-Paul of the Immaculate Conception
Sr. Maria Maris Stella de Anima Christi
Sr. Bethany Regina of Our Lord's Passion

If I had to pick one of these over the one I'm considering right now (it would have to be Sr. Maria Maris Stella with the devotion attached, I have suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch a devotion to the Blessed Sacrament that it's not funny. More so than my devotion to Our Lady but I find that this name combines the two) :)

edited because I can be loopy sometimes when it comes to thinking about Religious Names

Edited by HopefulBride

AveMariaPurissima

Right now I like:
Sister Maria Rose of Christ Crucified
Sister Miriam Thérèse of the Holy Eucharist

Spem in alium

These are VERY sketchy, and I haven't even worked out combinations yet, but I love the names:

Mary/Maria, Ruth, Elizabeth, Rita, Joseph, Clare, Rose, Gonzaga and perhaps a name like Thea. It might be nice to incorporate some of the virtues, like Faith, Hope, Agape, Patienza (etc.)

There are probably more lurking around somewhere. If only I could have all of them somehow... :)