An Old School Catholic Message Board

Leaving The Monastery

Starets

sistersintigo

There is a link, through Google Books, to a presentation on Petersham's St Mary's Monastery of Benedictine monks, for those posters/lurkers who are not familiar with this community.

[url="http://books.google.com/books?id=rcwmdQM_CBQC"]http://books.google.com/books?id=rcwmdQM_CBQC[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

I interrupt my radiop silence on this thread to announce that there will be 8 postulants entering the Noviciate this evening. This is by far a record for Christ in the Desert. Starting with this "batch", the formation program will have astronger educational component, with the possibility of distance learning through either maryvale in England or steubenville here in the USA.

I will be leaving sometime after my dental appointment to fix a broken tooth at the end of November

[quote name='Staretz' timestamp='1320073278' post='2329353']
I interrupt my radiop silence on this thread to announce that there will be 8 postulants entering the Noviciate this evening. This is by far a record for Christ in the Desert. Starting with this "batch", the formation program will have astronger educational component, with the possibility of distance learning through either maryvale in England or steubenville here in the USA.

I will be leaving sometime after my dental appointment to fix a broken tooth at the end of November
[/quote]

Staretz that is wonderful news (the postulants not the broken tooth!).

• 4 weeks later...

some good news and some bad news:

first the good news. I will indeed be leaving in early December for St. mary's in Petersham. I will probably just fade away rather than announce the date. a couple people here know the date already but I don't want them to say what date it is.

now for the bad news. last week one of our oldest monks, Br. Xavier, died of a heart attack. he was 83 and had been in monastic life for 57 years. Please say a prayer for teh repose of his soul.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='Staretz' timestamp='1322165914' post='2340103']
some good news and some bad news:

first the good news. I will indeed be leaving in early December for St. mary's in Petersham. I will probably just fade away rather than announce the date. a couple people here know the date already but I don't want them to say what date it is.

now for the bad news. last week one of our oldest monks, Br. Xavier, died of a heart attack. he was 83 and had been in monastic life for 57 years. Please say a prayer for teh repose of his soul.
[/quote]
Prayers for his soul. Congratulations on your upcoming entrance!

Well, I am glad you know your date now, and that you will be able to enter your new monastery during Advent. It's a time of new beginnings and preparation, so should be a good time to start anew. I hope the transition goes smoothly for you, and that you settle into your new home.

Oh...and...I hope the dental work goes well and your tooth is patched up good as new.

[quote name='Staretz' timestamp='1315246368' post='2300562']
This is a post I was hoping I would never have to write. On July 9 I was asked to leave. The seniors have decided that maybe a less isolated or larger community would be better for me. The cause is my PTSD. I have been in counselling for it for over a year now and have made great strides. My counsellor does not think it is a major problem anymore. In fact she thinks the problem is almost gone. The seniors do not think so. They have decided that I should move in order to have more counselling. They do like me, though, and apparently did not have anything negative to say about me.

Naturally, I was devastated when I was told that. It was like being kicked in the head while having one's heart cut out and torn to shreds. My abbot was upset as well. I intend to remain in monastic life. Never have I felt happier or more fulfilled than in this life.

My goddaughter said that if things did not work out here, I could move in with her in england and we would live as brother and sister, but she is married now.

But it looks like I have found a new monastic home. I will most likely be transferring to St. Mary's Monastery in Petersham (pronounced Peter's Ham). the only snag is that their superior was just elected as Abbot of Pluscarden Abbey in Scotland, which is their mother house. So I cannot ask to be transferred until a new superior is chosen, which will be around September 20th. But Abbot Anselm is supportive of it.

I intend to continue persevering. This will push back when I make my Solemn Profession but I still intend to make that. maybe it can be in the fall of 2013 instead of the summer. After all, New England is very pretty when the leaves are turning colour.

*sigh
[/quote]

I'm sorry you're having to suffer through this. I went through almost the same thing with the monastery I was in and it was heartbreaking... world-shattering... devastating... pick a strong adjective and it would work. I had the impulse to call a sister I knew at another community whom I knew had a really good head on her shoulders and ask her for advice the day I got the news that the chapter had voted me out. She told me - to my shock - that it might take up to a year to "recover" from the experience and move on . I'm praying for you.