An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bathing Customs In Communities

brandelynmarie

brandelynmarie

*phew* :blush: Thanks pham, for coming through for me :flowers: . I was away all day & was second guessing why I started this post. :blink: It all sounds fairly reasonable...no aesetic practices of not bathing ever again! I personally shower every other day & "spot wash" on the others. Same with my clothes, undergutchies & socks get changed & washed every day & my outer clothes get washed as needed. I learned to do this when I ran away to Switzerland (long long story, long long time ago) & picked up some European customs :french: . So I think I could handle whatever schedule came up for me.

And Faith, you [b]made [/b]a pickled onion & jam sandwich by accident? :burger: Was it any good? :)

Strictlyinkblot

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1316887690' post='2309288']

Oh thats a point! One thing I really had to take a deep breath over was that at Q soap was communal - it was just in the shower cubicles/bathrooms. As it happened, my super-sensitive skin objected and I had to have 'special' but its one thing where things do vary community to community. There was no soap in the bathroom at NH, shampoo and bubbles, but not bar soap, each has their own.
[/quote]

Do they have bubble bath in NH? Or do you mean something else by bubbles?

[quote name='Strictlyinkblot' timestamp='1316934275' post='2309595']

Do they have bubble bath in NH? Or do you mean something else by bubbles?
[/quote]

Yes, NH have bubble bath. Q do occasionally but they are very 'funny' about anyone using products that smell nice!

AccountDeleted

As someone has said, every community is different. I think I like the hermits best because we had our own little cottage with its own bathroom! But one doesn't enter a community because of the bathing facilities (I don't think :P )?

In WV, we had a bath (no showers) once a week, and washed in our cells each night using a bucket. At Edmonton, we had a bath or shower once a week, but we had a sink in our cells and could wash with hot water. At Kirk Edge we had a bath or shower once a week and washed in our cells with a bucket other nights. At Nedlands, we had a regular bath night but could use the bath/showers at other times if we had the free time. In all of them, we could use our own soap or the one that was in the bathroom.

Like most people, I much prefer my own bathroom, but one can get used to anything. In my recent 'bush hermitage', I had no toiler (used a bucket and then buried it the next day) and no hot water so had to either boil it using kettles on the wood stove, or use a chip heater in the bathroom which took about an hour to heat up... getting the hot water from the bathroom sink to the tub via a rubber hosing tube. So I usually bathed only once a week, but would used boiled water to wash off other times. A person can used to almost any conditions if the motivation is strong enough. Living in a flat now with a shower, hot water and a toilet now (not to mention electricity), I feel as if I live in luxury! But I would give it all up again for love of God if required.

For me, the focus of discernment is more about the positives than the negatives. Is a community living a life that reflects the gospel values of love, faith and hope, and do they honour and respect the Church teachings? Are they true to their charism and spirituality and do they support and encourage their community members in trying to sanctify their souls? Sure, I'm curious about everything else (bathing, what the cell looks like, the habit, the customs and horarium etc) but none of these are deal breakers really.

TeresaBenedicta

I forgot to mention: Ours are shared bathrooms. So, there's an hour for 24 sisters to take showers in 2 bathrooms. They're quick ones!

[quote name='Francis Clare' timestamp='1316963805' post='2309737']
[i]undergutchies?? What is/are that? I've got an inkling, but I've never heard them called that . Nope, never, ever, nowhere, no how.[/i]
[/quote]

I don't know about "undergutchies", but "gatkes" is what used to be called "combinations" or "long johns" [Yiddish]

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1316943891' post='2309634']

Yes, NH have bubble bath. Q do occasionally but they are very 'funny' about anyone using products that smell nice!
[/quote]

I can understand that. A lot of people have sensitivities to perfumes and other fragrances, so being in tight quarters with other Sisters might pose a problem if you go around smelling like flowers. :hehe:

:blink:

i'm thankful I am a Dominican!

shower everyday, except in the winter, you had the option of showering every other day; at one dominican convent, you had use of a bath tub once a week, but showered the rest of the week...

also, poverty means sharing soap bars and shampoo (but we each receive our own personal wash towel, thank goodness!)

AccountDeleted

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1316971981' post='2309793']
:blink:

i'm thankful I am a Dominican!

shower everyday, except in the winter, you had the option of showering every other day; at one dominican convent, you had use of a bath tub once a week, but showered the rest of the week...

also, poverty means sharing soap bars and shampoo (but we each receive our own personal wash towel, thank goodness!)
[/quote]

Now i like the Dominicans!! I shower twice a day now that I actually have a shower... once before I start my shift and once when I get home after my shift. I could make do without the first one since I have the one at night when I get home, but I love the feeling of being woken up by water! I wish all the religious communities were as sensible as the Doms!! They get a point for that one! :)

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1316975700' post='2309829']

Now i like the Dominicans!! I shower twice a day now that I actually have a shower... once before I start my shift and once when I get home after my shift. I could make do without the first one since I have the one at night when I get home, but I love the feeling of being woken up by water! I wish all the religious communities were as sensible as the Doms!! They get a point for that one! :)
[/quote]

I used to bathe every day after work when I was a CNA. I have a thing about coming home and lying down without washing after being around bodily fluids all day. It makes me feel gross. :x

I used to alternate between taking a full shower and using a washcloth with body wash (and sink water). I only wash my hair every other day unless it gets really dirty, otherwise, it gets dry and brittle and my scalps starts to itch.

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

AccountDeleted

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1316975872' post='2309833']

I used to bathe every day after work when I was a CNA. I have a thing about coming home and lying down without washing after being around bodily fluids all day. It makes me feel gross. :x

I used to alternate between taking a full shower and using a washcloth with body wash (and sink water). I only wash my hair every other day unless it gets really dirty, otherwise, it gets dry and brittle and my scalps starts to itch.
[/quote]

Yeah, working in personal care makes one feel really grotty. After giving baths to others, washing them, changing their clothes, rubbing them with lotions and creams etc... I need a shower. But I love to wash my hair too to get rid of the sweat in my scalp.

brandelynmarie

[quote name='Francis Clare' timestamp='1316963805' post='2309737']
undergutchies?? What is/are that? I've got an inkling, but I've never heard them called that . Nope, never, ever, nowhere, no how.
[/quote]

Oh my goodness! :lol4: It's a term I think I got from my grandmother...a term meaning one's underthings, uh, underwear & assorted other unmentionables. :blush: