An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bathing Customs In Communities

brandelynmarie

yes vee, i hear you. I know that these things are just stuff people are curious about, i would hope HOPE that this bathing issue and whether or not people can use hair dryer's or flat irons or how many times we can bathe, etc. etc. are not pertinent issues to obsess about when one is discerning...

[img]http://www.ewtn.com/saintsholy/saint_images/D/stdamienofomolokai.jpeg[/img] [img]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-qRHr_Og3uEA/TmQh9ke0D5I/AAAAAAAAGwo/j_g8Q1JRYGo/s400/Blessed%2BMother%2BTeresa%2Bof%2BCalcutta%2Bbest.jpg[/img]

If you are an apostolic religious who works in a professional field - say nursing or education - showering is going to be important to save souls. People aren't going to go near you if you stink... unless its the aroma of holiness... Otherwise, you might lose some instead of gain. :hehe2:

Different places and different people call for different habits ;) of living. Culture, socioeconomic status, education, apostolate, and other circumstances all come together to form a poor and becoming religious life that is both practical and penitential.

MargaretTeresa

New Orleans. Humidity. Heat.

How often do you think the apostolic sisters I visited do? rotfl

I miss my sisters and I'm so dang confused. I hope some of y'all are on chat later... I need advice. :wall:

brandelynmarie

[quote name='Sister Marie' timestamp='1316987616' post='2310060']
If you are an apostolic religious who works in a professional field - say nursing or education - showering is going to be important to save souls. People aren't going to go near you if you stink... unless its the aroma of holiness... Otherwise, you might lose some instead of gain. :hehe2:

[/quote]

So that wouldn't be considered the Odor of Sanctity? rotfl Seriously though, I was curious about bathing practices since I don't necessarily shower every night. Thankfully, I am not weighing what a community does with bathing as any basis for my discernment. (Although if any DO have jacuzzi tubs, lemme know :P .)

brandelynmarie

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' timestamp='1316987257' post='2310058']
Shave it all off.
[/quote]

Honestly, I think I would like that. No more bad hair days! (Maybe bad veil days however... :nun: )

AccountDeleted

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1316999790' post='2310168']

Honestly, I think I would like that. No more bad hair days! (Maybe bad veil days however... :nun: )
[/quote]

Shaved heads get really itchy under the veil as the hair grows back in!!

haha... I don't know of any with jacuzzi tubs!!! (Actually, I'm going to amend that because in our convent nursing home the tubs that the older sisters bathe in do have the jets. They can't move and are lowered into the tubs... it really is a treat for their sick bodies. Most of them really like it :))

I never thought to ask about bathing when I was discerning religious life but I think it's a good question. I think it is an appropriate topic for discernment too. If you are a nurse and want to enter a nursing community - you would be right to expect that good hygiene be a high priority... it would be shocking if it weren't.

If you were entering a cloistered community to do penance for the world - you would be right to expect some penitential acts especially regarding the use of community resources... like water.

I'm a teacher of middle school and I would never ever ever get into my bed at night without cleaning like a mad woman the germs of the Children of God. I love them but they make me sick... constantly. If I am sick, I cannot do the apostolate that has been entrusted to me.

I think the whole thread is a pretty good question!

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1316999650' post='2310162']

So that wouldn't be considered the Odor of Sanctity? rotfl Seriously though, I was curious about bathing practices since I don't necessarily shower every night. Thankfully, I am not weighing what a community does with bathing as any basis for my discernment. (Although if any DO have jacuzzi tubs, lemme know :P .)
[/quote]

Unless you walk around smelling like roses (think Padre Pio). ;)

brandelynmarie

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1316999878' post='2310169']

Shaved heads get really itchy under the veil as the hair grows back in!!
[/quote]

:o :think2: <----scritchy scratchy scalp Didn't really think of that either! Instant penance!

brandelynmarie

[quote name='Sister Marie' timestamp='1316987616' post='2310060']

Different places and different people call for different habits ;) of living. Culture, socioeconomic status, education, apostolate, and other circumstances all come together to form a poor and becoming religious life that is both practical and penitential.
[/quote]

Thanks Sister Marie. :) Well said.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Sister Marie' timestamp='1317000368' post='2310174']
haha... I don't know of any with jacuzzi tubs!!! (Actually, I'm going to amend that because in our convent nursing home the tubs that the older sisters bathe in do have the jets. They can't move and are lowered into the tubs... it really is a treat for their sick bodies. Most of them really like it :))

[/quote]

We have the same thing at the hostel where I work. This lovely chair lifts them up and puts them into the tub and then they soak in the spa jets to soothe their poor joints. Sometimes I wish I could crawl in there and have a go! :lol:

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1317001014' post='2310193']

We have the same thing at the hostel where I work. This lovely chair lifts them up and puts them into the tub and then they soak in the spa jets to soothe their poor joints. Sometimes I wish I could crawl in there and have a go! :lol:
[/quote]

I've also wanted a try... however; if being sick is your ticket into the tub... I'll wait my turn :)