An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bathing Customs In Communities

brandelynmarie

AccountDeleted

As someone else posted... wow... go to sleep for a little while and come back to this epic novel! :lol: It takes some time to catch up on all the posts I missed overnight! But I'm off to work soon so can't get to them all. Maybe some of you could take a break while I'm at work :P

So, to keep on topic, I am going to have a shower now and use my own soap and my own towel :)

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Lil'Monster' timestamp='1317258610' post='2312013']
you people are nuts....thank God im not gonna be a nun
[/quote]

What are you doing in Vocation Station? You are not gonna be a nun. Get out! :ohno:

just joking :P

In the Community I was part of in the 60's, we had to wear a "Chemise" while showering/bathing. It was a rectangular strip of fabric with a hole cut in the centre that went over your head and covered you front and back. It was for Chastity that we were required to wear it, but we all found it an absolute nightmare to try and wash properly, while contending with a sopping wet strip of clinging fabric.

Showers were of a 5 minute duration, and if anyone took longer than 5 mins, the postulant waiting for her turn next, had her time cut down to compensate. We jolly soon learned to get our showers over in the 5 mins. allowed, even tho' we may have looked as though we were going at it like a scene from the "Wacky Racers".

Not to wear the 'chemise' in the shower was considered a fault which had to be confessed at the weekly Chapter of Faults.

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1317258725' post='2312016']

What are you doing in Vocation Station? You are not gonna be a nun. Get out! :ohno:

just joking :P
[/quote]

:sad:

ok i will go and never come back!!!!!!!!

:sad2:

JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:P

[quote name='MarieLynn' timestamp='1317258765' post='2312017']
In the Community I was part of in the 60's, we had to wear a "Chemise" while showering/bathing. It was a rectangular strip of fabric with a hole cut in the centre that went over your head and covered you front and back. It was for Chastity that we were required to wear it, but we all found it an absolute nightmare to try and wash properly, while contending with a sopping wet strip of clinging fabric.

Showers were of a 5 minute duration, and if anyone took longer than 5 mins, the postulant waiting for her turn next, had her time cut down to compensate. We jolly soon learned to get our showers over in the 5 mins. allowed, even tho' we may have looked as though we were going at it like a scene from the "Wacky Racers".

Not to wear the 'chemise' in the shower was considered a fault which had to be confessed at the weekly Chapter of Faults.
[/quote]

It seems like many pre-V2 communities had these unusual practices dealing with chastity. It's almost like they were scrupulous to a fault or something. Many wouldn't let nuns use tampons because of the belief that it ruined purity and made you a non-virgin. :rolleyes:

I'm glad that these practices have since been abandoned for the most part.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1317259014' post='2312025']

It seems like many pre-V2 communities had these unusual practices dealing with chastity. It's almost like they were scrupulous to a fault or something. Many wouldn't let nuns use tampons because of the belief that it ruined purity and made you a non-virgin. :rolleyes:

I'm glad that these practices have since been abandoned for the most part.
[/quote]

Oh yes! And not to freak anyone out here but when I was nursing one of the elderly nuns about something, and it came up that they didn't used to wear underwear in the 'old days' - the went commando!! I was so shocked to hear this, and wondered if they wore them during their monthly cycles, but didn't want to ask because it wasn't really the topic of our conversation, just something she mentioned in passing about the old days. Funny that some communities wore chemises while others didn't wear any underwear! I'm glad a lot of these old practices have gone... some of them are just downright unsanitary!

I know the Poor Clares in Hanceville are into volleyball. The PCPA's in Charlotte (formerly of Ohio) sled in the winter - they also have an exercise bike in the basement of the Monastery, they do have a volleyball set, and I sent them a game of Bocce ball last year.
The PCPA's in Phoenix have their Nun Run every year, so I know they train for that. Phew...writing about all that exercise made me tired!

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1317259667' post='2312034']

Oh yes! And not to freak anyone out here but when I was nursing one of the elderly nuns about something, and it came up that they didn't used to wear underwear in the 'old days' - the went commando!! I was so shocked to hear this, and wondered if they wore them during their monthly cycles, but didn't want to ask because it wasn't really the topic of our conversation, just something she mentioned in passing about the old days. Funny that some communities wore chemises while others didn't wear any underwear! I'm glad a lot of these old practices have gone... some of them are just downright unsanitary!
[/quote]

They most likely wore the belts with the pads attached to them. I've seen pictures of them and I am so thankful I live in this day and age where underwear is the norm. I would not be able to wear something like that at all. :blush:

AccountDeleted

We used to play doubles table tennis at Wolverhampton on special days when we had time off. It was a lot of laughs for all of us since none of us were particulary good at it! And not easy to do in a habit either! :)

AccountDeleted

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1317259925' post='2312038']

They most likely wore the belts with the pads attached to them. I've seen pictures of them and I am so thankful I live in this day and age where underwear is the norm. I would not be able to wear something like that at all. :blush:
[/quote]

Well, it would be awful enough not to wear underwear with p.ants but under a habit?? Just creepy to think about for me. I not only wear underwear, but also pettipants - I like to feel covered up. And using a belt and pad with nothing else doesn't bear thinking about. I know one can get used to anything, but that would be a real penance for me.

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1317260158' post='2312044']

Well, it would be awful enough not to wear underwear with p.ants but under a habit?? Just creepy to think about for me. I not only wear underwear, but also pettipants - I like to feel covered up. And using a belt and pad with nothing else doesn't bear thinking about. I know one can get used to anything, but that would be a real penance for me.
[/quote]

I wear pettipants, too! I'm actually planning to wear some if I ever get clothed in the habit because I feel naked without them while I'm wearing a dress or skirt. Even if it is a jean skirt or jumper, I wear the pettipants. I hate regular slips. I find that pettipants are much better because they prevent chaffing. These are the kind I wear:

[img]http://ny-image0.etsy.com/il_fullxfull.254814224.jpg[/img]

They are the Adonna Snip-It Pettipants. I wore them full-length for a long time, but recently cut about 2 inches off the bottom so they wouldn't be so hot. They are nylon. I'm hoping to buy some cotton ones, soon. ;)

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1317265169' post='2312087']
I had no idea! :o Never heard of them before, but most definitely way better than slips, especially if they are cotton. :)
[/quote]

:)

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1317259667' post='2312034']

[/quote]

Many Carmels went knickerless until the 1990s! TOTM wasn't a problem (hmmmmm) as the pads - whether homemade terry towelling or bought Dr Whites - looped onto a belt rather than sticking to knickers.

There is a story that has gone doen on Q history that shortly after they began wearing undies, the laundress put a note up asking them to be more frugal and send no more than 3pairs a week to the wash!