An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bathing Customs In Communities

brandelynmarie

OnlySunshine

[quote name='In His Light' timestamp='1317794921' post='2315595']
A razor is a much needed thing when one has that "problem" the hormones cause.... :paperbag:
[/quote]

Yes. It's awful what those androgens do to us women when they are out of control. I just thank God my acne has finally evened out, even if it means I have early onset rosacea. :)

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1317795143' post='2315599']

Yes. It's awful what those androgens do to us women when they are out of control. I just thank God my acne has finally evened out, even if it means I have early onset rosacea. :)
[/quote]

Mine finally decided to go away...my mom got me some amesome soap from clinque. While it's terribly expensive, it's made my face clear! As has the benzyclin. Benzyclin bleaches skin, though, so I use it sparingly (around certain times of months, if you know what I mean...:ninja:)

[quote name='In His Light' timestamp='1317794921' post='2315595']
A razor is a much needed thing when one has that "problem" the hormones cause.... :paperbag:
[/quote]
... except I find they come in much thicker when a razor is used. I had an aunt convince me to try waxing them. That doesn't quite work (unless you like to have lots come in for a while).

What did work -- once I started tweezing, just keep tweezing. Daily. They definitely have thinned out.

ah hormones. Blah.

HopefulBride

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1317775130' post='2315444']

What you are describing kinda reminds me of what I saw in that recent movie about St. Teresa de los Andes.They most definitely had more than one veil.

[/quote]

What was the name of the movie?

brandelynmarie

This is a series of clips from the movie St. Teresa of the Andes. :love:
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA3ciD5Ojb8&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA3ciD5Ojb8&feature=related[/url]

Edited by brandelynmarie

brandelynmarie

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=377nMTqRsiA&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=377nMTqRsiA&feature=related[/url]

brandelynmarie

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYmoyVEjamo&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYmoyVEjamo&feature=related[/url]

faithcecelia

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1317844843' post='2315762']

Mine finally decided to go away...my mom got me some amesome soap from clinque. While it's terribly expensive, it's made my face clear! As has the benzyclin. Benzyclin bleaches skin, though, so I use it sparingly (around certain times of months, if you know what I mean... :ninja:)
[/quote]

Was it a bar or liquid? I only use Clinique on my face - my skin cracks at even the thought of another brand - and while expensive in the first place, their bars last 2yrs of twice daily washing!

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1317882580' post='2315968']

Was it a bar or liquid? I only use Clinique on my face - my skin cracks at even the thought of another brand - and while expensive in the first place, their bars last 2yrs of twice daily washing!
[/quote]
When I'm at school (which is now most of the year), I use the liquid, only because it's easier to keep neat. I have a bar, too, but that's at home.

If your face is prone to cracking and severe dryness, here's two ideas for you. First, get the old-fashioned Pond's cold cream. My husband's entire family uses it (including his 94 y/0 mother) and their skin is like butter. Secondly, try rubbing a bit of olive oil on your face at night. No, you won't smell like olives, but it's a great rehydrator. Sometimes the cheapest stuff works the best.

IgnatiusofLoyola

As usual, I'm late with posting a response. Most of the responses to this thread seem to be for cloistered Carmelite communities.

Last year, we had a discussion of what is worn under the habit (or the postulant dress) since several members were about to enter active Orders--Franciscan and Dominican, primarily. I'd be hard pressed to find the thread again, but several posters (not only those about to enter) posted that they wore men's short-sleeved undershirts under the habit or postulant dress. The undershirts/T-shirts didn't have to be men's, but men's were often cheaper. This was especially true for Orders like the ND's, where postulants and novices engage in athletic activity for a time every day, so needed undergarments that could be easily washed.

Then the question of bras came up. One postulant said that her instructions about what to bring said to bring bras that could withstand industrial-strength washing machines. In the end, I think most of the new postulants decided to bring sports bras, as they are comfortable, more modest than many regular bras, and more likely to be able to withstand washing machines.

Sorry, I don't think the subject of underwear ever came up. (Except that they wore underwear.)

HopefulBride

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1317918473' post='2316156']
As usual, I'm late with posting a response. Most of the responses to this thread seem to be for cloistered Carmelite communities.

Last year, we had a discussion of what is worn under the habit (or the postulant dress) since several members were about to enter active Orders--Franciscan and Dominican, primarily. I'd be hard pressed to find the thread again, but several posters (not only those about to enter) posted that they wore men's short-sleeved undershirts under the habit or postulant dress. The undershirts/T-shirts didn't have to be men's, but men's were often cheaper. This was especially true for Orders like the ND's, where postulants and novices engage in athletic activity for a time every day, so needed undergarments that could be easily washed.

Then the question of bras came up. One postulant said that her instructions about what to bring said to bring bras that could withstand industrial-strength washing machines. In the end, I think most of the new postulants decided to bring sports bras, as they are comfortable, more modest than many regular bras, and more likely to be able to withstand washing machines.

Sorry, I don't think the subject of underwear ever came up. (Except that they wore underwear.)
[/quote]

This is making me think of (in wonderful anticipation) of the day when I might get my shopping list. I can see it now, I will be calling SrMJ for just about everything on the list cause I will have sooooo many questions.