An Old School Catholic Message Board

Religious Sisters Of Mercy In Alma, Mi

OnlySunshine

Today's readings and Gospel were so poignant to me. I realize how many times I make promises to God, but don't follow through with them -- such as attending Adoration more often and reading the Bible. I've been pretty lazy. I really need to start working on that.

I loved how many times the word "mercy" was used today. Even our pastor talked about it in his homily. I love Divine Mercy and Our Lady of Mercy so much. Everytime I hear the word "mercy," I think of Our Lord. He is Mercy in and of itself. :love:

Mater, as I recall, I only had to pay like $3 for s&h.

I think it's the same. Look [url="http://www.kofc.org/un/en/resources/service/council/audiovisual.pdf"]here[/url].

Edited by JoyfulLife

AccountDeleted

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1316971429' post='2309783']

Are you a Benedictine now?
[/quote]

Looks to be shaping up that way. I probably won't feel 100% like one until I've had some formation in a Benedictine Monastery. It isn't easy to shake the formation one gets in religious life and my first was a Carmelite convent! :P

If it is God's will, then I hope to enter a Benedictine Monastery sometime next year. But I am taking it one day at a time right now.

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1316973994' post='2309805']
Mater, as I recall, I only had to pay like $3 for s&h.

I think it's the same. Look [url="http://www.kofc.org/un/en/resources/service/council/audiovisual.pdf"]here[/url].
[/quote]

amesome! Thank you so much for posting that. I'll have to order it. :)

You're welcome. I love getting videos on the religious life. They tend to have some good wisdom and spiritual direction advice that's helpful.

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1316971519' post='2309786']
Today's readings and Gospel were so poignant to me. I realize how many times I make promises to God, but don't follow through with them -- such as attending Adoration more often and reading the Bible. I've been pretty lazy. I really need to start working on that.
[/quote]

Don't "start" working on it. DO it.

A change in attitude makes a world of difference. ;)

It's hard for me, too. I've been pretty good at reading some of a spiritual book and the New Testament each night, but my chapel time has slid, as I'm usually busy with something. I know I need to MAKE time.

If you know you need to make time, ask God.....He'll make the time. I've been so surprised at all the little "junky" things that take up part of my day. I carried around a little notebook around one day and just tried to jot down time I wasted by doing stupid stuff or simply procrastinating. It was amazing at how much time I could have for Scripture study, what have you, if I was really living in the present moment. Try practicing the presence of Jesus at all times and you'll be surprised how much extra time and energy you'll have.

I'm so happy to hear that you'll be attending the November retreat with the RMS in Alma, MM! I'll be praying for you during that time. I probably won't be there, as I'm attending the October retreat, but maybe if it's in God's plan we'll run into each other in Alma someday...

Also, my relentless Googling of the RSMs has finally produced new fruit! A [url="http://frdangallaugher.wordpress.com/tag/religious-sisters-of-mercy-of-alma-michigan/"]homily[/url] prepared by Fr. Dan Gallaugher of the Archdiocese of Washington, DC for the Religious Sisters of Mercy of Alma, MI on their Feast Day, Our Lady of Mercy, which was this past Saturday. Available in both blog format and audio file. Enjoy!

+Pax Christi,
Sophia

Aaaand....here's another [url="http://dioknox.org/15631/etcnews/final-profession-%E2%80%98most-profound-day%E2%80%99-for-mercy-sister/"]vocation story[/url]! It's an interview by Sister Mary Gretchen, RSM about her profession of final vows. Sister graduated from the George Washington University School of Medicine this spring, and began her residency in internal medicine at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville shortly before making final vows. So so so so amesome. :nun3:

[quote name='sophia13' timestamp='1317250545' post='2311912']
I'm so happy to hear that you'll be attending the November retreat with the RMS in Alma, MM! I'll be praying for you during that time. I probably won't be there, as I'm attending the October retreat, but maybe if it's in God's plan we'll run into each other in Alma someday...

Also, my relentless Googling of the RSMs has finally produced new fruit! A [url="http://frdangallaugher.wordpress.com/tag/religious-sisters-of-mercy-of-alma-michigan/"]homily[/url] prepared by Fr. Dan Gallaugher of the Archdiocese of Washington, DC for the Religious Sisters of Mercy of Alma, MI on their Feast Day, Our Lady of Mercy, which was this past Saturday. Available in both blog format and audio file. Enjoy!

+Pax Christi,
Sophia
[/quote]

I was so close to attending the October retreat (I wish I had registered for it now because my mom is already planning to go back to work tomorrow; I thought it would take longer for her recovery). :(

[quote name='sophia13' timestamp='1317251961' post='2311924']
Aaaand....here's another [url="http://dioknox.org/15631/etcnews/final-profession-%E2%80%98most-profound-day%E2%80%99-for-mercy-sister/"]vocation story[/url]! It's an interview by Sister Mary Gretchen, RSM about her profession of final vows. Sister graduated from the George Washington University School of Medicine this spring, and began her residency in internal medicine at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville shortly before making final vows. So so so so amesome. :nun3:
[/quote]

I love reading vocation stories, especially from the RSMs! :)

OnlySunshine

Well, my mission seems to be to find a nice, warm winter coat to wear when I go up to Michigan. I used to have a faux shearling coat but I seem to be unable to find it. I think I must have thrown it away when it got ruined from sitting in my car's trunk too long (it got stained). I went to Kohl's yesterday with my mom and didn't find anything there. I've looked on Land's End, L.L. Bean, Eddie Bauer (too expensive), sporting goods websites, etc. I did manage to find a few that I'm going to look into. One is by [url="http://store.delias.com/item.do?itemID=53915&categoryID=490&sizeFilter=2XL&colorFilter=&brandFilter="]dELiAs[/url] and we have a store in the mall here, so I am hoping to get over there today after Church with my mom to look at it and try it on. Old Navy has some good options, too, that I may look into. I'm hoping to find a wool-blend coat since my mom has lived in Michigan and says it's very necessary (she lived in Lansing, which is near to Alma). I'm going to go to Burlington Coat Factory, too, since I had good luck with jackets and coats there in the past.

I'm also looking into getting some boots. I wore the ones I had out, so they need to be replaced. They are so worn on the sole and bottom that they just aren't comfortable anymore. If it comes to not being able to afford them, I hope to at least get some wool socks to wear with my walking shoes.

A scarf, hat, and gloves are in the running, too. But those usually aren't that expensive. I found some good stuff by Carol Wright Gifts that is less than $10 and have all gotten good reviews.

Please say some prayers that I can at least find a warm coat before I leave in November. :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

AccountDeleted

Okay - so I was in Michigan in January and not November, but BOY was it COLD! Of course, there was snow on the ground at that time, but the wind - whew! I'm not sure if it was colder than Rochester NY or not, but it was cold enough! So get a good coat for sure!

Im going to say you might not even need to buy a coat. How long will you be there for and how much time will you be outside? If you will be there for only a few days and just going from a car to a building you'll be fine with basically a windbreaker/ fall coat over a sweater.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1317559625' post='2313852']
Im going to say you might not even need to buy a coat. How long will you be there for and how much time will you be outside? If you will be there for only a few days and just going from a car to a building you'll be fine with basically a windbreaker/ fall coat over a sweater.
[/quote]

I actually am going to probably need it for more than my trip up north. I don't have a good coat other than the cordoroy one I bought last year and even that is more like a fall jacket since it's not very heavy. We are supposed to have a cold winter again this year, so I'm sure it won't go to waste. :)