An Old School Catholic Message Board

Religious Sisters Of Mercy In Alma, Mi

OnlySunshine

Do you have a Stein-Mart where you live? How about Marshall's or TJMaxx. Land's End Outlet, L.L. Bean outlet, any outlet malls within a decent driving distance? They're great place to get good stuff at really low prices :clap:

Also try Burlington Coat Factory.

Iam not sure when the RSM Oct Retreat is but I am sure yoou can call RSM and change your reservation if your travel plans allow for it. Isn't there someone else from the forum that is going this month?

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Francis Clare' timestamp='1317568138' post='2313892']
Do you have a Stein-Mart where you live? How about Marshall's or TJMaxx. Land's End Outlet, L.L. Bean outlet, any outlet malls within a decent driving distance? They're great place to get good stuff at really low prices :clap:
[/quote]

I don't think there is a Stein Mart anymore because they all closed up. We have a Marshall's and TJ Maxx. We also have Ross and Beall's Outlet. I wonder if there are any outlet stores an hour from where I live? I'll have to look them up. I'm not entirely sure, but I don't recall seeing a Land's End or L.L. Bean outlet anywhere near here. Thanks for the tip, though. I check into it. :)

[quote name='DarleneSteinemann' timestamp='1317573684' post='2313922']
Also try Burlington Coat Factory.

Iam not sure when the RSM Oct Retreat is but I am sure yoou can call RSM and change your reservation if your travel plans allow for it. Isn't there someone else from the forum that is going this month?
[/quote]

Yes, Burlington Coat Factory is on the top of my list since I had good luck there in the past when I needed a windbreaker for my stay in Chicago (the windy city ;) ).

As far as the reservations, I could change it, but it would cost $75 for the cancellation and then whatever the difference is in fares. I'd rather not spend that much. I need to learn to be patient anyway. :)

Oh, and another reason not to change is that I may need to watch the dog for my parents that weekend. I just looked at the dates again.

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

Columbia makes great ski jackets that are super warm. Check online or sporting goods stores.

Check out thrift stores, too. I've seen many great coats at great prices.

How long are you visiting the RSM?

Edited by JoyfulLife

OnlySunshine

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1317597040' post='2314161']
Columbia makes great ski jackets that are super warm. Check online or sporting goods stores.

Check out thrift stores, too. I've seen many great coats at great prices.

How long are you visiting the RSM?
[/quote]

From November 11th to the 14th. I had thought about the thrift stores and I even thought about consignment stores. I might check into them this week. I didn't get a chance to do anything today after Church because I was very tired and my mom was feeling ill. If I cannot find a coat, I'll probably bring my corduroy one and buy a fleece jacket so I can layer. I already have some Cuddl Duds from my trip to New York in January 2010. I was so glad I bought them because we were outside quite a bit and the wind would blow straight through you. I had some with me when I went to visit the Carmelite Sisters DCJ in February 2009 in Wisconsin and later when I went to live with them in East Chicago in May 2009. :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

If you check on line you can find some of the outlet stores (LL Bean, etc.). Often if you go to their main websites, they have a link to their on-line outlet clothing. Did you check out EBay? Only trouble is, I really like to try something on before I buy.

Someone mentioned Colombia. I believe they make jackets that can be deconstructed in various layers. Also, don't forget to look at raincoats. Many of them have zip in/zip out liners that are pretty heavy, so the coat can do double duty for rain and/or cold.

she_who_is_not

I have a coat I bought for $10 from a thrift store run by Sisters. I was pressure sold into buying it Sr. Maria Goretti. It is a great coat. I've had it for about 6 years now and have only needed to have light repairs and yearly dry-cleaning. By contrast, my three year old J. Crew coat and a super-expensive cashmere coat from a fancy department store have both pilled, needed major repair to lining, had multiple buttons fall off etc. I don't live in a cold climate so they only get 3-4 months of daily use.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Francis Clare' timestamp='1317651219' post='2314578']
If you check on line you can find some of the outlet stores (LL Bean, etc.). Often if you go to their main websites, they have a link to their on-line outlet clothing. Did you check out EBay? Only trouble is, I really like to try something on before I buy.

Someone mentioned Colombia. I believe they make jackets that can be deconstructed in various layers. Also, don't forget to look at raincoats. Many of them have zip in/zip out liners that are pretty heavy, so the coat can do double duty for rain and/or cold.
[/quote]

It's funny you should mention the online outlet stores because I checked them last night. Lands' End Outlet has some possibilities that I bookmarked. I have not checked eBay yet, but I don't think I will because I want the ability to return/exchange the item if it doesn't fit right. I am planning to check the thrift stores and consignment shops, though. In fact, I'm probably going to Goodwill in a bit because I have to return some items to my school's library and it's on the way home. :)

[quote name='she_who_is_not' timestamp='1317656718' post='2314619']
I have a coat I bought for $10 from a thrift store run by Sisters. I was pressure sold into buying it Sr. Maria Goretti. It is a great coat. I've had it for about 6 years now and have only needed to have light repairs and yearly dry-cleaning. By contrast, my three year old J. Crew coat and a super-expensive cashmere coat from a fancy department store have both pilled, needed major repair to lining, had multiple buttons fall off etc. I don't live in a cold climate so they only get 3-4 months of daily use.
[/quote]

Good to know! Thanks! ;)

OnlySunshine

I was looking at some pictures of one of the 2010 postulants and her family and it had a few pictures of the Sisters in winter dress. My mom keeps telling me to get a wool blend coat, but all the Sisters were wearing parkas or puffer coats, which actually tend to be cheaper. So I'm going to look for those, too.

[img]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ZfiiNxTfPic/TYEkU1DTKOI/AAAAAAAAB4U/QZ4c1g3PmE0/s640/midforest%2520snow%2520fun%2520017.jpg[/img]

Mary's Margaret

I live in Canada (long, cold winters) and "puffer coats" are definitely the way to go. Also, water-proof mitts, not gloves.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Mary's Margaret' timestamp='1317676242' post='2314783']
I live in Canada (long, cold winters) and "puffer coats" are definitely the way to go. Also, water-proof mitts, not gloves.
[/quote]

Ok! Thanks for the tip! I'm looking into nice, waterproof boots as well.

TheresaThoma

If you can find a decent down filled "puffer coat" that would be the way to go. I have a down jacket and with an outer shell (rain coat) it gets me through everything.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='TheresaThoma' timestamp='1317690480' post='2314910']
If you can find a decent down filled "puffer coat" that would be the way to go. I have a down jacket and with an outer shell (rain coat) it gets me through everything.
[/quote]

LOL, everyone must be thinking the same thing. I got off the phone with my Nana an hour ago and she told me to look for a down-filled coat, too. She said they were much warmer than wool and they tend to be waterproof or water resistant so they don't get damaged in the snow or rain, whereas wool would be ruined. :)

The good news is that she offered to pay for the coat when I told her that I was going up to Michigan next month. That is a load off my shoulders. She is really helping me out with expenses related to school and I didn't know how I was going to budget a coat in between paying for gas and the necessities like personal toiletries and such. I am SO thankful to have a loving, caring Nana! :)

OnlySunshine

Well, it turns out that it is MUCH easier to find down parkas than wool-blend coats. I have so many bookmarked on my browser that it's ridiculous! LOL! :hehe2:

Most of them are from Burlington Coat Factory so I must get over there after school tomorrow!

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1317708499' post='2315031']
Well, it turns out that it is MUCH easier to find down parkas than wool-blend coats. I have so many bookmarked on my browser that it's ridiculous! LOL! :hehe2:

Most of them are from Burlington Coat Factory so I must get over there after school tomorrow!
[/quote]

Okay, I hope this doesn't get labeled as spam, lol -- but I have to say, I have this coat [url="http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/61708?page=baxter-state-parka"]LL Bean's Baxter State Parka[/url] .. and it isso so[i] sooo incredibly warm!![/i] Almost too warm at times! But usually not! I'm not afraid of [i]any[/i] weather now!! I will [i]never[/i] miss Mass!!!! :pray: Never! And I walk and take public transport :like: