An Old School Catholic Message Board

Religious Sisters Of Mercy In Alma, Mi

OnlySunshine

[color=#800000][size=4][b]Don't eliminate e-bay. There are a lot of brand new clothes on there and expensive clothing, slightly used and at great prices.[/b][/size][/color]
[color=#800000][size=4][b]Last year, I got a black 100% cashmere coat, barely used, classic style at less than $100.00. It was really a bargain and had hardly been worn at all.[/b][/size][/color]

OnlySunshine

[quote name='EWIE' timestamp='1317858318' post='2315820']
[color=#800000][size=4][b]Don't eliminate e-bay. There are a lot of brand new clothes on there and expensive clothing, slightly used and at great prices.[/b][/size][/color]
[color=#800000][size=4][b]Last year, I got a black 100% cashmere coat, barely used, classic style at less than $100.00. It was really a bargain and had hardly been worn at all.[/b][/size][/color]
[/quote]

Hi, EWIE. Thanks for the suggestion, but I already bought a coat today. See my previous post about 2 posts behind yours. ;)

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Mary's Margaret' timestamp='1317856717' post='2315817']
Well done! The coat looks great...and such a deal! Can't wait to see how it fits over your habit :photo: Post a picture when that day comes!
[/quote]

:hehe2:

If it happens (God-wiling), I doubt that I will be able to post a picture because, from my understanding, the Sisters rarely use the internet unless you are the Vocation Director or you need it for your studies. They do post pictures on their website every month, though, so that's a good way to keep track. ;)

brandelynmarie

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1317854427' post='2315811']
Well, I found a coat! I went to Burlington Coat Factory and they had racks and racks of coats. I went and took a look in my size and found several puffer coats. I tried 3 on. One was out of the picture because it was DKNY and was over $100. One was nice and was $50 but I looked at the tag and it was not downfill, but polyfill, so no go on that either (though I was close to buying it before calling my mom on the phone to ask her opinion). I ended up getting a coat made by Zero Xposur and it is black in color with a nice hood and faux fur trim. It is so comfy, too. I had to get a size smaller than my clothing size because it appeared too bulky in the larger size. I am very happy with it. It is 50% down and 50% feathers in the filling, so it should be very warm. The material that it is made out of is very silky and I love the sleeves. They have hidden rib knit cuffs inside so that your arm is more protected from the cold. It even has warmer pockets on the side and a hidden pocket for keys on the inside. This is a picture of it (the black one):

[url="http://www.burlingtoncoatfactory.com/IWCatProductPage.process?&Product_Id=2397885"]Zero Xposur Down Filled Puffer Coat with Side Straps[/url]

While I was there, I got a new black acrylic scarf for $5.99. I took the coat and scarf to the register and handed the clerk my 20% reward certificate. The total came out to $68.99 plus tax. I got an amesome deal and I'm so glad I printed the coupon out. The coat is made VERY well (I checked it over for imperfections before I bought it) and should last me a VERY long time. I got it in black, not only because of the warmth, but because that's the color that the RSMs wear so I was thinking that if I get to the point were I go up there permanently (God-willing), I won't have to buy a new coat unless I lose or gain weight. ;)

Now, all that's left is getting a beanie hat (which I think I might have), waterproof gloves, and winter boots. My mom has already said that she is going to help me buy the boots. I plan to get these unless I find something better:

[url="http://www.boscovs.com/StoreFrontWeb/Product.bos?assortmentId=12&itemNumber=55439&type=Product&assortmentDepartmentNumber=4035000"]Judith Sport Snowflake Boots[/url]

Everyday that it gets closer to going up there, I get more and more happy and excited. :woot:
[/quote]

I am so happy for you! It is so beautiful that your family is so supportive. :) Can't wait til you visit & come back & tell us about it! :bounce:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1317872343' post='2315926']

I am so happy for you! It is so beautiful that your family is so supportive. :) Can't wait til you visit & come back & tell us about it! :bounce:
[/quote]

Aw, thanks Brandelynmarie. It took a very long time for my mom to get to the place she is now and be 100% supportive of my discernment. I still remember the fight we had on my 25th birthday when she was talking about me getting married even though I had already told her about my plans to look into religious life. It made me upset the way she handled it as if what I said didn't mean anything at all. I definitely could have handled it better. I am much more grown-up (I hope) now to let that stuff just slide off like water off a duck's back. Because I changed my mindset and became open to just allowing her to become supportive at her own pace, she saw that I wasn't judgmental of how she looked at my discernment and I told her that if she had any questions about the process to please ask and I would try to find the answers. It made a world of difference. Though there have been some rough patches, especially in regards to my return home from 3 days with the Carmelite Sisters when I was supposed to spend 6 weeks. That was over 2 years ago, though, and a lot has changed since then. ;)

Believe me, I will let you all know how it goes when I visit next month. I'd be too cruel not to since I have so many people who have offered to pray for me. :hehe2:

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

brandelynmarie

Yeah, hearing about people's journeys is so much fun & it helps me with my discernment too. But I will also accept cookies in exchange for prayers. Preferably chocolate. rotfl

brandelynmarie

I am glad you were able to be patient with your mom's growing in her understanding of all of this. I remember when I told my family I was leaving for Switzerland. "Ok, have fun. Stay out of trouble." Me--> :o Every family is different. :) May I ask what happened with the Carmelite sisters? You can point me to an older thread or you don't have to answer it, chica. :)

OnlySunshine

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1317882095' post='2315966']
Yeah, hearing about people's journeys is so much fun & it helps me with my discernment too. But I will also accept cookies in exchange for prayers. Preferably chocolate. rotfl
[/quote]

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1317882313' post='2315967']
I am glad you were able to be patient with your mom's growing in her understanding of all of this. I remember when I told my family I was leaving for Switzerland. "Ok, have fun. Stay out of trouble." Me--> :o Every family is different. :) May I ask what happened with the Carmelite sisters? You can point me to an older thread or you don't have to answer it, chica. :)
[/quote]

When I started discerning, I thought for sure that I was called to the Carmelite charism. I went on a vocation retreat with the Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus (Central Province) in August 2008 when my friend (who is re-entering in June 2012) invited me to discern there, but I didn't get to participate in much since I was having anxiety attacks everyday (the experience was so new to me). I thought that maybe I should check out other orders. I ended up praying for a sign in December 2008 so I could figure out where to discern next. I received information from the Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus (Northern Province) and the Religious Sisters of Mercy. Since I was blind to anything but the Carmelites, I contacted Sr. Immaculata and made arrangements to make a retreat there in February 2009. I loved it so much that I decided to apply in March 2009. I was asked to live with the Sisters from May 16th, 2009 to June 26th, 2009 so I could work in their apostolate and pay off my debt since that was holding back my entrance. I stayed there a total of 3 days and discerned that I was not called there, so I left and withdrew my application (I was never formally accepted).

What happened was that I was experiencing such anxiety at the thought of working with the children of the group home that it basically crippled me, emotionally. I didn't handle it very well because I wasn't on medication at the time and the stress and strain was too much for me. There was nothing wrong at all with the Sisters. In fact, I love them dearly and I still recommend them to young women discerning. But, for me, it was not the right order. I couldn't eat and I was having trouble sleeping. But, I don't worry about it anymore. :)

faithcecelia

The coat is lovely and I am jealous al over again! :hehe2: And yes, I do think black was the right colour. I bought a new, good walking coat when I was first sent away from Q - it was September, beginning to razzle dazzle, and they had given me very generous financial support, so I bought a good one. As my weight is going the right way again, it will hopefully fit again in another month or so! My red one is an 8 tho (US4) and I will not be that size again even I don't think!

brandelynmarie

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1317884583' post='2315972']

When I started discerning, I thought for sure that I was called to the Carmelite charism. I went on a vocation retreat with the Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus (Central Province) in August 2008 when my friend (who is re-entering in June 2012) invited me to discern there, but I didn't get to participate in much since I was having anxiety attacks everyday (the experience was so new to me). I thought that maybe I should check out other orders. I ended up praying for a sign in December 2008 so I could figure out where to discern next. I received information from the Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus (Northern Province) and the Religious Sisters of Mercy. Since I was blind to anything but the Carmelites, I contacted Sr. Immaculata and made arrangements to make a retreat there in February 2009. I loved it so much that I decided to apply in March 2009. I was asked to live with the Sisters from May 16th, 2009 to June 26th, 2009 so I could work in their apostolate and pay off my debt since that was holding back my entrance. I stayed there a total of 3 days and discerned that I was not called there, so I left and withdrew my application (I was never formally accepted).

What happened was that I was experiencing such anxiety at the thought of working with the children of the group home that it basically crippled me, emotionally. I didn't handle it very well because I wasn't on medication at the time and the stress and strain was too much for me. There was nothing wrong at all with the Sisters. In fact, I love them dearly and I still recommend them to young women discerning. But, for me, it was not the right order. I couldn't eat and I was having trouble sleeping. But, I don't worry about it anymore. :)
[/quote]

Thank you for sharing that. :) Discernment can be such a windy, twisty road, as so many of us have experienced on here. And yet, we are led by Him to where we are supposed to be: single life, married life, religious life. :wave: :kiss: :nunpray:

OnlySunshine

I was so happy to hear from my friend in England who entered the Benedictine Sisters of Grace and Compassion about 3 weeks ago. She states that she is doing very well. She's not singing "the hills are alive" but is singing the Office with the Sisters regularly. She said that the hardest thing was learning the prayers and postures and told me to prepare myself for that, but I have been with so many Sisters during the recitation that I learned how to make the right postures.

The funniest thing she said was she told me to bring knee pads because her Sisters do so much kneeling in prayer. I got quite a chuckle from that. I can just imagine a Sister in a full-length habit wearing knee pads underneath. :hehe2:

It was such a wonderful surprise to see her email in my inbox. I have to reply to her to tell her everything that has happened and I cannot wait to share her email with the CRHP sisters next Tuesday. She asked me to keep everyone informed. :)

OnlySunshine

Tomorrow, I'm planning to go to some thrift/consignment stores to find some more skirts or dresses. I am seriously lacking dressy stuff in my wardrobe. Somehow, I managed to find a really nice navy blue skirt with cream colored flowers at Goodwill for $4. It goes below the knee and looks like it's never been worn. I am looking forward to wearing it. I also have a really nice denim jumper that I bought from a thrift store for $3 about 2 years ago that I wear to Church a little too often. :hehe2:

I also have a long brown skirt that I bought at Cato before I visited the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal in January 2010, but I don't like it. It looked better on in the store than it did at home and I lost the receipt so I couldn't return it.

I'm also searching through eBay and clearance sections of clothing websites to try to find good deals. :)

Well, I just realized today that I still haven't sent the 2 to 3 paragraph discernment biography that the VD asked for. I'm about to get it together now and send it to her before I forget again. :crazy: