An Old School Catholic Message Board

Religious Sisters Of Mercy In Alma, Mi

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Zippy' timestamp='1320881095' post='2333978']

I hope this goes well for you. I searched them and they look like a lovely community. When I first saw your post I thought: 'Aren't all the Sisters of Mercy affiliated with LCWR'. I'd imagine by looking at the community you have chosen that they aren't.
[/quote]

This is a reform of the Sisters of Mercy. They have the same initials "RSM" but they are habited, whereas the Sisters of Mercy are not. The Religious Sisters of Mercy of Alma started the CMSWR which is a very orthodox, faithful group of womens' communities that are in line with the Church. The RSMs of Alma were started in 1973 after Vatican II when they realized that the order to which they belonged was no longer following the charism of Ven. Catherine McAuley as best they should --plus, they shed their habits.

I am so very excited about meeting them! It's getting down to the grind here! I'm going be packing very soon. I have to do laundry after school tomorrow and get ready. I also have to get a few things from the drugstore. ;)

[quote name='she_who_is_not' timestamp='1320890971' post='2334072']
Some RSM of the Americas wear a modified habit.
[/quote]

Ah, yes. Sorry! :blush:

We have some in our diocese. The older Sisters still wear a veil and a white blouse and black skirt, but, for the most part, they are unhabited.

On another note, are you one of the 4 that will be there with me this weekend? I remember you mentioning that you were planning to go this fall. ;)

she_who_is_not

No. Unfortunately, I have to work. One of the downsides of having so many clients is the inability to ever take a day off! I'm hoping to visit the sisters in my diocese before I visit the Motherhouse. I've promised a close priest friend that I won't enter anywhere until I visit the RSMs, though. Everyone seems to think that is where I belong. We'll see what God has planned. I'll will definitely be praying for you!

[quote name='she_who_is_not' timestamp='1320893562' post='2334113']
No. Unfortunately, I have to work. One of the downsides of having so many clients is the inability to ever take a day off! I'm hoping to visit the sisters in my diocese before I visit the Motherhouse. I've promised a close priest friend that I won't enter anywhere until I visit the RSMs, though. Everyone seems to think that is where I belong. We'll see what God has planned. I'll will definitely be praying for you!
[/quote]

Aw, thanks! I definitely need those prayers so I don't make any impulsive decisions and just trust God through this weekend. ;)

I'm sorry to hear that you will not be able to go on the retreat. I don't think any of the other girls that are visiting are from Phatmass, but I am delighted to be able to meet some new people while I'm there. I hope you are able to visit soon. I'll be sure to tell everyone how it went upon my return.

[quote name='TheresaThoma' timestamp='1320898895' post='2334157']
Mater I am SO excited for you. I will be offering up many prayers and a Mass or two for you this during the retreat. :nun2:
[/quote]

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! :nun2:

Your welcome, your welcome, your welcome!!!!!!!

oh wait...i only prayed but does that count???

[quote name='TheresaThoma' timestamp='1320898895' post='2334157']
Mater I am SO excited for you. I will be offering up many prayers and a Mass or two for you this during the retreat. :nun2:
[/quote]

how pious of you

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1320890277' post='2334065']

This is a reform of the Sisters of Mercy. They have the same initials "RSM" but they are habited, whereas the Sisters of Mercy are not. The Religious Sisters of Mercy of Alma started the CMSWR which is a very orthodox, faithful group of womens' communities that are in line with the Church. The RSMs of Alma were started in 1973 after Vatican II when they realized that the order to which they belonged was no longer following the charism of Ven. Catherine McAuley as best they should --plus, they shed their habits.

I am so very excited about meeting them! It's getting down to the grind here! I'm going be packing very soon. I have to do laundry after school tomorrow and get ready. I also have to get a few things from the drugstore. ;)
[/quote]
Thanks for the overview of how the RSMs of Alma got started. Wishing them and you plenty of blessings. Have a good trip! :amen:

Mary's Margaret

How exciting...just a Wake Up left!!! I hope you have a wonderful visit, MM.

Edited by Mary's Margaret