An Old School Catholic Message Board

Religious Sisters Of Mercy In Alma, Mi

OnlySunshine

i<3franciscans

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1321296005' post='2336230']
I am not back home yet. I am on the plane right now to the connecting airport. I won't be home until later this evening. This much I will tell you -- it went VERY well. The retreat was amesome and the Sisters are so joyful. I felt like I was amongst friends. Their liturgy and prayers were very reverent and they have such a love for Jesus. I was sad to leave. The other retreatants were such sweet young women. One is definitely applying. I'm going home and waiting awhile to make sure the peace remains. This is the express advice of the assistant postulant director. I'm keeping in contact for awhile and then, if I receive permission, I will send in my letter requesting entrance. This is th first community I truly felt at home in. The CFRs are wonderful but I know God is not calling me there. So please keep me in your prayers!!! :love:
[/quote]
I have not been on n a few days and I just saw this. MM I am absolutely positively THRILLED for you! I am so excited that this really could be "the order". :) As always you are in my prayers! *hugs*

[quote name='CherieMadame' timestamp='1321446673' post='2336817']
You have my earnest prayers that the desire of your heart will be fulfilled! I'm so happy everything went so well for you, MM! The RSMs are a wonderful community, and if God is calling you there, you truly would make a beautiful addition to their religious family. Be assured of my continued prayers as you discern with them!
[/quote]

Bless you, Cherie. I have not stopped thinking about them since I came home. I know that God wanted me to visit for a reason. ;)

dominicansoul

MM, I visited this community in 2008, not as an aspirant, but to have a psychological as part of my entrance exam into another community! I love Sr. Marysia Webber!!! This community is needed in the Church these days. I am sooooooooooo happy that you are finding yourself attracted to this group, and I wish you well in your discerment with them!

dominicansoul

I have to say, it was in their chapel that my discernment "came to its end." So I will always have a special place in my heart for that place. It was there, and through the kind counsel of the Sisters, that I came to accept God's will...

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1321479427' post='2337032']
MM, I visited this community in 2008, not as an aspirant, but to have a psychological as part of my entrance exam into another community! I love Sr. Marysia Webber!!! This community is needed in the Church these days. I am sooooooooooo happy that you are finding yourself attracted to this group, and I wish you well in your discerment with them!
[/quote]

Thank you for reminding me of her name! I couldn't, for the life of me, remember the Sister who did the psych exams. She does them for entrance into the RSMs, as well, and I had the pleasure of meeting her during this weekend. :)

Thank you for your prayers. I am waiting for the Lord to take the next step as I continue discerning with this beautiful order. :love:

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1321479504' post='2337033']
I have to say, it was in their chapel that my discernment "came to its end." So I will always have a special place in my heart for that place. It was there, and through the kind counsel of the Sisters, that I came to accept God's will...
[/quote]

Aw! :love:

Would the RSM make an entrant do their psych testing if they've already had it within a few years with a secular psychologist? Also, do the Sisters charge a fee?

[quote name='Francis Clare' timestamp='1321380220' post='2336574']
Okay, so do I detect a little hint here?! :turban: Does my crystal ball say August 2012? That has a nice ring to it
[/quote]

I'm not trying to be nosy about your particular discernment, but simply curious about procedure. Is this a community where there is one "entrance date" for the newbies each year, or are individual entrances scattered throughout the year?

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1321546785' post='2337437']
Would the RSM make an entrant do their psych testing if they've already had it within a few years with a secular psychologist? Also, do the Sisters charge a fee?
[/quote]

The RSMs like to do their own psych testing, so I am not sure if they would accept an exam from a secular source. The Sister who does the testing is a psychiatrist not a psychologist, so it may be a little different, I'm not sure. The Sisters absolutely [u]do not[/u] charge a fee. Being a psychiatrist is the Sister's apostolate and they don't expect any compensation. All you have to pay for is the visit back to the Alma to have the exam done at their own health care clinic. I believe that you can stay in their guest house while you have it done (which was very nice).

I always advise people to double-check with the Vocation Director. Please don't just take my word for it. I don't want to be responsible for giving misinformation. ;)

[quote name='krissylou' timestamp='1321547688' post='2337444']

I'm not trying to be nosy about your particular discernment, but simply curious about procedure. Is this a community where there is one "entrance date" for the newbies each year, or are individual entrances scattered throughout the year?
[/quote]

Absolutely not! ;)

I was told that August 1st is just the start date for accepting postulants. One of the first year novices entered in December because she visited the weekend before August 1st, and it was too late to try to schedule her psych exam and have her take care of everything at home (though she tried!). They obviously didn't want her to wait an entire year, either, so they let her enter later. I was told that they have aspirants pray and see when God wants them to enter and then work it out with the community. I do think that August-December is the cut-off, though.

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1321546785' post='2337437']
[/quote]

In addition to what MM has said, it's important to bear in mind that an evaluation with a psychologist is usually for the purposes of diagnosing and treating mental health difficulties, or identifying obstacles to education. This isn't the case with the psychological assessment that's done for candidates to religious life. They're not trying to diagnose you with anything or decide if you're ill or not. It's to help you and the sisters to understand more about your motivations for wanting to be part of the community, your particular strengths, any difficulties that you might have (not necessarily related to a health condition of any kind, etc.).

It sounds as though you are still worrying about the practical aspects of discernment, such as whether you will be able to afford an assessment, etc. I think you need to gently lay all these worries to one side. Catch yourself when you find them preoccupying you. There is no point in concerning yourself with them now, and they will be dealt with just fine when the time comes.

[quote name='beatitude' timestamp='1321560503' post='2337487']

In addition to what MM has said, it's important to bear in mind that an evaluation with a psychologist is usually for the purposes of diagnosing and treating mental health difficulties, or identifying obstacles to education. This isn't the case with the psychological assessment that's done for candidates to religious life. They're not trying to diagnose you with anything or decide if you're ill or not. It's to help you and the sisters to understand more about your motivations for wanting to be part of the community, your particular strengths, any difficulties that you might have (not necessarily related to a health condition of any kind, etc.).

It sounds as though you are still worrying about the practical aspects of discernment, such as whether you will be able to afford an assessment, etc. I think you need to gently lay all these worries to one side. Catch yourself when you find them preoccupying you. There is no point in concerning yourself with them now, and they will be dealt with just fine when the time comes.
[/quote]

Thank you for including this. I forgot to mention about the discernment portion of the psych exam. The psych exam, for the RSMs, is not a predetermination of whether or not a candidate has a call to their order. They use it solely to detect any problems that may arise during formation. Like me, since I have a predisposition to depression, they will not have any surprises if any of the signs pop up. They can also be aware if someone will be homesick or needs extra help with formation studies, etc. I won't be surprised if I come up with homesickness at all, but it's a natural thing. It's not something I will worry about because I know God will handle it. ;)

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1321479427' post='2337032']
MM, I visited this community in 2008, not as an aspirant, but to have a psychological as part of my entrance exam into another community!
[/quote]

Oh how small the world is ... I also did my psych eval (for entrance into the 1st community that I entered) with the RSMs in Alma. I can say for sure that it was a comfortable experience (not stressing).

[quote name='cmariadiaz' timestamp='1321649733' post='2337993']

Oh how small the world is ... I also did my psych eval (for entrance into the 1st community that I entered) with the RSMs in Alma. I can say for sure that it was a comfortable experience (not stressing).
[/quote]

Very nice! I didn't feel out of character with any of them. I love them all! :)