An Old School Catholic Message Board

Religious Sisters Of Mercy In Alma, Mi

OnlySunshine

Everything feels so different since I got home. Nothing exterior has changed, but internally, I feel like a different person. More at peace with the world. It's amesome how much my reactions to different things have changed this week. It's hard to believe that this time last week, I was sleeping at the guest house in Alma. :)

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1321655124' post='2338032']
How would you describe their personalities? (PM if you prefer.)
[/quote]

Honestly, I'd feel a little uncomfortable describing this. They are all so different -- like a melting pot. Everyone brings something different to the order. I wouldn't want to describe them wrong. I hope you understand. ;)

Mater, do the RSM offer personal retreats at any time of the year? If not, when do they typically have organized retreats?

How was the weather when you were there?

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1321738789' post='2338328']
Mater, do the RSM offer personal retreats at any time of the year? If not, when do they typically have organized retreats?

How was the weather when you were there?
[/quote]

JL, I don't know if they allow personal retreats. Their vocation director lives in Saginaw, which is an hour outside of Alma, so they usually prefer women to come on the prearranged retreats. This is the list of retreat dates:

[url="http://rsmofalma.org/vocations/voc_cal.html"]RSM retreat calendar[/url]

The weather was nice. It only rained the night I was in Saginaw and the retreat was over (another girl and I stayed behind the extra day which was planned).

Well, I copied my previous email and resent it to Mother. I don't think the other one went through. I had no way of getting the option for "read receipt" or "return receipt" so I had no idea if she received it or not. I just wrote a little note at the top saying "sorry if you received this already..." and explained about the email server problem. I used Mozilla Thunderbird which has the option for return receipt. Please pray that I hear from her soon, otherwise, I may have to call in about a week or two.

[quote name='Mary's Margaret' timestamp='1321831131' post='2338642']
Prayers on the way.

I like your new picture.
[/quote]

Thank you! The new picture is of the Blessed Virgin Mary for her Feast of the Presentation tomorrow.

Please pray for my little sister if you go to Mass or Adoration tomorrow. It is her 26th birthday and she is no longer a practicing Catholic. My mom made the decision to buy her a rosary and try to encourage my sister to use it and I'm wondering if I should give her one of my books, "Surprised by Truth 2" by Patrick Madrid. I hate that she is not in the Church anymore. :(

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1321837142' post='2338697']
Does she have any feelings about Mother Angelica? Her shows are on tape and are excellent, especially her newer ones.
[/quote]

She never watches EWTN. I've tried to talk to her about the Sacraments but she believes that she can find salvation outside the Church. I was exasperated after our last talk. I decided to stop trying to talk to her about it and just pray for her reversion. :sad:

Mary's Margaret

MM I will definitely pray for your sister, and for all VSers' relatives who are estranged from Mother Church.
St. Monica pray with us.

The best advice I received from a religious concerning a family member who is away from the Church was not to argue or debate, but to simply pray and love....and of course commend them to Our Lady's care.

Edited by Mary's Margaret

[quote name='Mary's Margaret' timestamp='1321851780' post='2338823']
MM I will definitely pray for your sister, and for all VSers' relatives who are estranged from Mother Church.
St. Monica pray with us.

The best advice I received from a religious concerning a family member who is away from the Church was not to argue or debate, but to simply pray and love....and of course commend them to Our Lady's care.
[/quote]

Fortunately, I learned that by trial and error. She is stubborn when it comes to talking about different faith practices. She calls the Holy Mother Church "boring" and says that the rituals in Mass are silly. She doesn't know why they are unchanging. It's sad, really. If she was a Catholic, I could see her potentially discerning religious life because she truly loves serving Jesus Christ. She's just in the wrong faith practice.

Our Lady of the Presentation, pray for us!