An Old School Catholic Message Board

Religious Sisters Of Mercy In Alma, Mi

OnlySunshine

It is 12 days until my retreat (almost 11)! Today, the focus of the homily was on vocations because the vocation director was concelebrating Mass with our pastor. We sang "The Summons" again and I always start to cry during that song. My mom saw that I was emotional and consoled me. I really love that song because it rings so true! I believe I am going to use it for my witness on the CRHP presenting weekend in March 2012 since I am discerning. :)

I am really looking forward to going to Michigan, and I am so glad that I have WARM clothes as it dropped into the mid-20s last night! Brrrrr! :icey:

[quote name='Lil'Monster' timestamp='1320031001' post='2329187']
michigan is avvesome! i know cuz i have been there myself :|
[/quote]

I've never been to Michigan, so this will be my first time. I went to Milwaukee, WI in February 2009, and it was snowing the 2nd day I was there. They had a big snowstorm! Brrrr! :cold:

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

AccountDeleted

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1317932735' post='2316724']
I was so happy to hear from my friend in England who entered the Benedictine Sisters of Grace and Compassion about 3 weeks ago. She states that she is doing very well. She's not singing "the hills are alive" but is singing the Office with the Sisters regularly. She said that the hardest thing was learning the prayers and postures and told me to prepare myself for that, but I have been with so many Sisters during the recitation that I learned how to make the right postures.

The funniest thing she said was she told me to bring knee pads because her Sisters do so much kneeling in prayer. I got quite a chuckle from that. I can just imagine a Sister in a full-length habit wearing knee pads underneath. :hehe2:

It was such a wonderful surprise to see her email in my inbox. I have to reply to her to tell her everything that has happened and I cannot wait to share her email with the CRHP sisters next Tuesday. She asked me to keep everyone informed. :)
[/quote]

I just found this comment about these sisters on the Colwich blog....

[url="http://colwichnov.wordpress.com/"][b][color=#000000]Colwich Novitiate[/color][/b][/url]
A glimpse into the life of a Benedictine novitiate..

...Yesterday at the end of recreation we went into the parlour to look at slides mostly of the community. Going into the parlour meant that Maria and David – Sr Davina’s father – could join in the fun. At the moment we have a priest here on retreat and a sister from the Grace and Compassion Benedictines with us too. Sr Metilda has asked me to help her to set up a blog so I am going to try tomorow. The Grace and Compassion Benedictines are fully habited Benedictine Sisters in the south of England, Africa and India. They care for elderly people in their own homes and say the full Divine Office. They would like to encourage vocations in Britain so if you are interested or know someone who is check them out. When their blog is set up I will a link up as they really do good work and we are happy to support them.

Mater,
I live about 25 minutes a southwest of Milwaukee and we had snow flurries over the weekend. It was so cold here on the lake that we started a lovely fire in the fireplace. Be prepared!!!! I grew up in Michigan and snow can virtually come out of nowhere this time of year. Prayers for your upcoming visit to Alma.

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1320052955' post='2329268']

I just found this comment about these sisters on the Colwich blog....

[url="http://colwichnov.wordpress.com/"][b][color=#000000]Colwich Novitiate[/color][/b][/url]
A glimpse into the life of a Benedictine novitiate..

...Yesterday at the end of recreation we went into the parlour to look at slides mostly of the community. Going into the parlour meant that Maria and David – Sr Davina’s father – could join in the fun. At the moment we have a priest here on retreat and a sister from the Grace and Compassion Benedictines with us too. Sr Metilda has asked me to help her to set up a blog so I am going to try tomorow. The Grace and Compassion Benedictines are fully habited Benedictine Sisters in the south of England, Africa and India. They care for elderly people in their own homes and say the full Divine Office. They would like to encourage vocations in Britain so if you are interested or know someone who is check them out. When their blog is set up I will a link up as they really do good work and we are happy to support them.
[/quote]

That's neat! She sent me some pictures of her with her Sisters recently. Which reminds me, I need to email her. I haven't heard back about her status since she told me her lupus was flaring up. :unsure:

[quote name='Francis Clare' timestamp='1320070418' post='2329338']
Mater,
I live about 25 minutes a southwest of Milwaukee and we had snow flurries over the weekend. It was so cold here on the lake that we started a lovely fire in the fireplace. Be prepared!!!! I grew up in Michigan and snow can virtually come out of nowhere this time of year. Prayers for your upcoming visit to Alma.
[/quote]

Oh, dear! I'm glad I have warm clothes. From what I understand, it is much more cold in January-March, but that it could snow during the end of the year, as well. I'm praying that there are no airport delays or cancellations when I go because I am supposed to come back on Monday and I have school on Tuesday.

i<3franciscans

SO today is nine days right? Not that I am counting down for you or anything. :rolleyes: I am so excited for you!!! Try not to freeze while you are there.

In the military (I am a Vietnam Era Veteran) we use the term - wake up for you last day so you have!!!

[size=8][font=lucida sans unicode, lucida grande, sans-serif]8 DAYS AND A WAKEUP!!![/font][/size]

[quote name='DarleneSteinemann' timestamp='1320249712' post='2330294']
In the military (I am a Vietnam Era Veteran) we use the term - wake up for you last day so you have!!!

[size=8][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]8 DAYS AND A WAKEUP!!![/font][/size]
[/quote]

:hehe2:

I like that! It makes the countdown shorter!

i<3franciscans

That is how I do all my count downs. :) Especially when it gets close like this.

MM, how long are you going for again? Will you be able to contact us during your stay???

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1320255137' post='2330336']
That is how I do all my count downs. :) Especially when it gets close like this.

MM, how long are you going for again? Will you be able to contact us during your stay???
[/quote]

I will be gone from November 11th to the 14th. My plane leaves at 10:40am, so I will post that morning before I leave. I doubt I will have internet access while I'm there, but I'm actually glad of that. I spend too much time on the computer as it is. I'll be back in town at 7:45pm on Monday night and I'll post all about my visit when I return -- including any good news (God-willing). :woot:

i<3franciscans

AH!!!! I can't wait for you to get back. I love hearing about others adventures!
:nun2:
I know what you mean spending too much time on the computer. PM is so distracting and so much more fun than school. LOL

Edited by i<3franciscans

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1320259148' post='2330361']
AH!!!! I can't wait for you to get back. I love hearing about others adventures!
:nun2:
I know what you mean spending too much time on the computer. PM is so distracting and so much more fun than school. LOL
[/quote]

Yes, indeed. I spend more time on Phatmass than I do studying. :rolleyes: