An Old School Catholic Message Board

Regnum Christi

M.SIGGA

I already checked out the Legionaries and the Regnum Christi websites and they seem to be really awesome.

However I did some more internet searching and I came across this website: [url="http://www.regainnetwork.org/"]http://www.regainnetwork.org/[/url]

It's pretty negative and biased, so I'm sure some of it can be debunked, but it raises some eyebrows.

By the way, lately too many wierd occurances keep leading me into checking out Regnum Christi, so I'm doing that right now.

What are some of your opinions of them and the Legionaries and Regnum Christi?

Hi M. Sigga,

I just joined Regnum Christi this past weekend, so I will try to help you out a bit. :) I'm still kinda new to everything, so I can't tell you tons, but I can tell you some. The same kind of thing kept happening to me with wierd occurances of it coming up, and it eventually became clear to me that God wanted me to join. If you want me to tell you more about my experiences so far from finding them to joining, PM me.

The best way to learn about the organization as a whole is to read the book "Christ Is My Life" which is an interview with the founder. The ISBN is 1-928832-97-0 if you want to buy it online, I found it for less than five bucks.

Their primary charisms are charity and efficacy. Their goal is to change the world by reforming the laity, working on the spiritual formation (a very big catchword for them) of lay leaders who would then transform society with effective leadership, and with personal holiness. They look for the best way to bring the solid Truth of Jesus Christ to the most people by building His Kingdom on Earth in the way they see most efficient. Theologically, they are rock solid, and for this the pope trusts them. However, they get a lot of criticism for being elitist because the most efficient way they see to bring about large scale changes in society is evangelizing to to world leaders and those with the most power. That doesn't mean they don't serve the poor, but a lot of their efforts are focused on those who are poor spiritually and rich materially.

If you look on the internet, you will find lots of horrible things about them. I take most of these with a grain of salt. Whenever I see these things, I remind myself that the pope really does trust them. He ordained 60 Legionary priests in the Vatican in 1991, that says a lot. The website [url="http://www.legionaryfacts.org"]http://www.legionaryfacts.org[/url] explains a lot of the accusations and calumnies against the founder.

Thanks for the website. If things keep going in the same direction ... I can't believe it myself, but I might be your next Regnum Christi bro, and if the Pope backs them I guess I have nothing to worry about because I really trust and admire JP2 in particular. I've been really serious about seing if I have some sort of "religious" vocation, lay or religious, the last few months and there have been so many signs pointing me towards Regnum Christi and the Legionaries, so many it's really sort of scary, but in a good way. I'm going to a RC "Meet and Greet" this weekend to find out more and to have some one-on-one Q&A and see what they are all about. Thanks again.

I got the book [u]Christ is My Life [/u]tonight and tomorrow I'm going to start reading it.... I really think this is meant for me!

• 1 year later...

Thy Kingdom Come!
Tuesday of the Fifteenth Week in Ordinary Time

MSigga, praise be Jesus for your vocation wherever it may lead. I know Dudette here is discerning being a consecrated member of Regnum Christi.

The Regain Network is a site that well is fake. All their seminarians who were formerly in the Legion are fake. If you do a who is search I think you will find that it is more of a joke. At least that is how I look at it a plain joke. If you know a legionaire you know nothing of that is true, and I know it isn't.

Regnum Christi, is the form of laity. As God calls men to enter the legion to ordain holy priests, God calls the laity to strive for holiness through this as well.

I know Regnum Christi sponsors Conquest Clubs, and Challenge which is the girls club, (conquest boys) and there is another formation for young boys offered byt he Legion which is helped by Regnum Christi.

I'm going to let Dudette, Anacora, and Smile Jesus Loves you answer more of your questions as all are affilitied with the apostolic school for girls (Apostolic schools are minor seminaries for the Legion for high schoolers knowing they are called there!)

Christ is my Life I've heard is amazing and can't wait til I get it this week! I also would recommend though I haven't read it yet, Peter on the Shore and Legion of Christ: a history.

[i]Yours in Christ, [/i]

Eddie Lee

while the website may be fake, questioning a bit is a good way to discern. That might seem strange, but a call from God will survive even the toughest stuff that can be thrown at it.

So ask the questions, but learn to trust in God. He knows what he is doing.

If he leads you there then rock on. :) If he doesn't, be ready for his answer.

Smile_Jesus_loves_you

An excellent source to read is "The Legion of Christ: A history" it gives insight and history,as the tilte implies. "Christ is my life and "Envoy I II and III are great along with the rest of Fr. Maciels writings.

Regnum christi and the legion get's bashed alot, however the accusations have no floor. The church has seen to that. I've been a part of RC my whole life, my whole family is and from that i have seen that these accusations are pure nonsense, Jesus never said it would be easy. He said their would be persacution and for RC there is, as with the rest of the church.

Thy Kingdom Come!
Tuesday of the Fifteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time

Today in my weekly conversation with the vocations director of the Legion of Christ. I told him today how I will be getting, Christ is my life, and Legion of Christ: The History. In these books we will learn the history and the spirituality of the Legion, and learn about the founder. In Peter on the Shore you will not read, but will meditate, and continue to discern the path God is calling you to. It is a great book to reflect upon during perpetual adoration.

[i]Yours in Christ,[/i]

Eddie Lee

That site(that you posted in your first post) is the work of the devil, i can tell you that. Don't read any of it because it's not true.

Yes, as Eddie said, I am discerning a vocation to the Consecrated life in Regnum Christi. I went to the precandidacy last year (for girls in grades 9-12) but God wants me home so I am home now.

You are a guy so you would be leaning more towards the Legionaries? I'm glad you have Christ is my life, if you turn to page 47, Fr. Maciel talks about accusations (ahem, that site) and I was flipping through the book tonight and on page 74 and 75, there's some really good information on there on disicipline...um, haha, it just stuck out to me so I'm showing it to you. :)

The book "The Legion of Christ, a history" is also an excellent book and "Peter on the Shore" is VERY good if you are discerning.

Have you looked into getting a Legionary as a Spiritual Director? There is a link on Vocation.com, on the left where it says "personal guidance." :D

Any other questions feel free to ask.

(ps, had to add this. I have met Fr. Maciel and Fr. Bannon. Smile_Jesus_Loves_You has also met both of them. ^_^ )

Since my first post on this thread (wow, over a year ago!!) I have been a coworker (in Chicago!) and have also had the privledge to meet Fr. Maciel and Fr. Bannon (several times!) Dudette and Smile_Jesus_Loves_You, I bet I know some of your friends!! :D

• 3 weeks later...
Smile_Jesus_loves_you

Who do you know???? I want to hear. Are you giving anymore, My sister is giving one, this year!

oh man you met Fr. Maciel! wowza. tee hee I love Regnum Christi and all the rumors about them are simply unfounded. i used to be a leader of a challenge club ( the girls group) and it really has helped me discern my vocation.

I feel bad cause I'm always playing devil's advocate with Regnum Christi, but I used to be a member of ECYD and a team leader for our Challenge club. I'm not in it anymore, for manifold reasons. First of all, Regnum Christi will take over your life- which could very well be a [i]good[/i] thing for your spirituality if your vocations allows time for constant activities, retreats, and spur-of-the-moment requests from RC leaders. Second, it really is a spirituality that doesn't leave time for anything else, so you really have to be dedicated to the RC mindset if you want to get incorporated.
I think it's a good group, but for families like mine (homesteaders who like to be TOGETHER as a family and not separated constantly), it is definitely not our vocation. I hope your discernment goes well :)

EDIT: Well, reading the rest of this thread it sounds like you're not discerning anymore! I'm glad it all worked out for you. God bless.

Edited by Totus Tuus

• 2 months later...