An Old School Catholic Message Board

Colwich Benedictine Monastery

AccountDeleted

AccountDeleted

I know we have had several threads about this English monastery in the past and I have been reading over them again, but I was wondering if anyone had any recent experiences with them (old ones are ok too)? I loved the novitiate blog that used be written there but that finished when the poster (Sr Marie Therese) chose to leave and go to another convent. She seemed to leave on really good terms with them, and my own contact with them has been very positive.

One of the fascinating things (for me) is that I was clothed at Wolverhampton Carmel on the same day that Sr Marie-Therese was clothed at Colwich, and one of our mutual friends was around England at the time and visited us both. I feel I have a sort of link with them through this occurence, as well as my interest in them now as a Benedictine community in the UK.

So if anyone has more info about them, I would be interested to hear more about them. And if anyone wants to post links to previous threads about them, that's fine too - a lot of the old pictures are no longer available anymore... but the novitiate blog is still available online in their archives, and it makes fascinating reading for me even today. I wasn't able to go to their come and See weekend this year as I didn't have a job for the airfare, but I am hoping to go for a longer visit in the new year, if all goes well.

faithcecelia

I was talking to a friend about them the other evening actually, she visited them back in the summer. She liked them very much but is not ready for serious discernment yet. She met another woman, though, who interestingly had been in Wolverhampton Carmel!

AccountDeleted

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1317541376' post='2313772']
I was talking to a friend about them the other evening actually, she visited them back in the summer. She liked them very much but is not ready for serious discernment yet. She met another woman, though, who interestingly had been in Wolverhampton Carmel!
[/quote]

Wow - I wonder if I know her? When was she there? There was one postulant while I was there, and I met another in the parlour after I left, and went to visit them again before I entered Kirk Edge. The world of discerners seems like such a small one sometimes! :P

faithcecelia

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1317541767' post='2313777']

Wow - I wonder if I know her? When was she there? There was one postulant while I was there, and I met another in the parlour after I left, and went to visit them again before I entered Kirk Edge. The world of discerners seems like such a small one sometimes! :P
[/quote]

Sending a pm - not fair to name her publicly!

AccountDeleted

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1317542050' post='2313781']

Sending a pm - not fair to name her publicly!
[/quote]

Oh no, never do that here. I always hate it when people post my real name here, even if they know it. I respond to emails with my real name and then sometimes a person will post that instead of nunsense here, and that really annoys me!

And if you do hear from her, you can always just give her my email address and she can contact me if she wants or not.... I was just being curious. My contact details are on the profile page.

brandelynmarie

Photos I have found:

[img]http://www.colwichabbey.org.uk/community2.jpg[/img][img]http://www.benedictines.org.uk/images/colwich_1.jpg[/img][img]http://www.benedictines.org.uk/images/colwich_2.jpg[/img]

AccountDeleted

Thanks brandelynnmarie... there are more on their blog pages too - and one of their new poodle!

I love poodles - our first family pet was a black standard poodle and my mother used to breed her. Two of her children were brown miniatures so she started breeding them too - we had a real poodle breeding operation going on for a few years! I haven't had one in years, but it would be good to be around them again - they are so smart and friendly.

I would post more photos of Colwich but I would have to load them onto a server first, and don't feel like doing that right now. But I'm happy for anyone else who wants to put some up, to do so!

Edited by nunsense

AccountDeleted

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1317543380' post='2313789']
:)
[/quote]

I spelled your name wrong in that last post and had to edit it! lol silly me :P

AccountDeleted

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1317544097' post='2313799']
:) I don't mind! I used to answer to all of my siblings names including Jake the dog!
[/quote]

:lol4:

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1317542177' post='2313782']
Oh no, never do that here. I always hate it when people post my real name here, even if they know it. I respond to emails with my real name and then sometimes a person will post that instead of nunsense here, and that really annoys me!
[/quote]

I gave up trying to hide my real name now :) after the last series of phamily status posts that were like "cma... nunsense is looking for you" lol (my real name was used)!

Eh it happens, we're human, and oh well. :)

AccountDeleted

[quote name='cmariadiaz' timestamp='1317602161' post='2314200']

I gave up trying to hide my real name now :) after the last series of phamily status posts that were like "cma... nunsense is looking for you" lol (my real name was used)!

Eh it happens, we're human, and oh well. :)
[/quote]

Actually, I've used your first name before and shouldn't have. And I might have done this with someone else too, and I apologise if I have. I know it can happen accidently when one is used to emailing someone... I guess what irked me was having someone who doesn't really know me use my name... but I'll get over it. I know that everyone knows my name by now anyway, but I just don't like to see it posted all over the Internet. I opted out of Facebook for that very reason. I don't like to have a personal online presence unless it is anonymous as much as possible given the circumstances.

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1317602608' post='2314211']
Actually, I've used your first name before and shouldn't have. And I might have done this with someone else too, and I apologise if I have. I know it can happen accidently when one is used to emailing someone... I guess what irked me was having someone who doesn't really know me use my name... but I'll get over it. I know that everyone knows my name by now anyway, but I just don't like to see it posted all over the Internet. I opted out of Facebook for that very reason. I don't like to have a personal online presence unless it is anonymous as much as possible given the circumstances.
[/quote]

:) I understand the anonymity. I wished that back in the day (when I opened the account) I had had the wisdom to pick a different name. Putting the first name out there in my case though kind of reveals my full name.

Ah. Well. Its all good, though. God is great, isn't He?

brandelynmarie

nunsense, I am really enjoying the noviatiate blog. I didn't realize that you can go way back with it for some reason. :hehe: