An Old School Catholic Message Board

Colwich Benedictine Monastery

AccountDeleted

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1318217549' post='2318923']

My daughter was very much into QHs and Paints, and we had a lovely paint draft cross foal - he was the one who brought the strangles to us!! He survived of course and we found a really good home for him and his owner kept sending us photos of him growing up - and being part draft, he got very big indeed!

We also had a lovely buckskin QH that ended up being sold to a lady who loved to ride in parades, so that mare turned into quite a good parade horse! My own personal favorites though are Arabs (so intelligent, but very hot to handle) and TBs (another hot horse). I worked with Morgans for awhile and they are really lovely, one of the Morgan stallions I started under saddle was a big baby when he was working.. he knew the difference between working time and breeding time by the halter I used on him - the 'smelly' one (it smelled of mares in season), would alert him that he was going to woo a lady, but the regular one with no smell let him know that we were going to ride - and no funny business! I do love stallions because they are so playful but have always had mares to ride - moody things they can be but they have personality. My daughter prefers geldings because they don't play up and they aren't moody!

When I first went into Carmel I thought I would miss horses the most, but really, I am okay about all that now. I still love them, but I guess I've moved on or something.
[/quote]

I grew up surrounded by horse trinkets and books. My aunt bought me this Horse book with all the different breeds and how to care for them when I was 7 years old. I still have it, too.

When I was a toddler, I used to have one of those hobby horses in my room that was spring-attached to a frame. I was sad when we got rid of it, but I outgrew it. I also used to collect those large plastic Mattel horses for Barbie dolls and I was more interested in playing with them than I was with Barbies. My uncle gave me a musical carousel horse when I was little. It was right after my school got rid of my favorite horse swings and replaced them with regular swings. I was very attached to one in particular named Feather. It was a light, buttery yellow horse swing. I loved recess because of that swing. Because I liked horses so much, my mom decided to stencil a border around my wall that was of carousel horses in our old house. :)

Oh! And I LOVED watching "Black Beauty" (1994) when I was little. I got the movie on my 11th birthday. :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

This is like the hobby horse I used to have:

[img]http://www.respectthebox.com/images/HobbyHorse.jpg[/img]
And this is like the horse swing at my elementary school (except they were much prettier; these look spray painted):

[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/61/183624567_f174ef4d40.jpg[/img]

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

AccountDeleted

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1318219763' post='2318931']

I grew up surrounded by horse trinkets and books. My aunt bought me this Horse book with all the different breeds and how to care for them when I was 7 years old. I still have it, too.

When I was a toddler, I used to have one of those hobby horses in my room that was spring-attached to a frame. I was sad when we got rid of it, but I outgrew it. I also used to collect those large plastic Mattel horses for Barbie dolls and I was more interested in playing with them than I was with Barbies. My uncle gave me a musical carousel horse when I was little. It was right after my school got rid of my favorite horse swings and replaced them with regular swings. I was very attached to one in particular named Feather. It was a light, buttery yellow horse swing. I loved recess because of that swing. Because I liked horses so much, my mom decided to stencil a border around my wall that was of carousel horses in our old house. :)

Oh! And I LOVED watching "Black Beauty" (1994) when I was little. I got the movie on my 11th birthday. :)
[/quote]

I think most little girls are in love with horses. Some are blessed to be able to have them This is my daughter at age 12 with her first horse, an Arab mare named Zamora. Zammie wasn't broken to saddle when we got her, so I let my daughter help me do it, and she was great at lunging and ground work and even better when it was time to back her - so brave!

And now she is a barrel racer, and was even riding while she was pregnant with her son!

[img]http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab166/nunsense/PHOTO63.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab166/nunsense/SHELLYLUNGEZAMIE.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab166/nunsense/SHELLYRIDEZAMIE.jpg[/img]

AccountDeleted

The dates for the visit are set now. Mother Abbess said that I could be a guest for a couple of days and then if we are all in agreement, I could do a live-in for the rest of the two weeks.

She did say I could come back anytime after May for another visit if I wanted to, but we will see what develops from the first visit.

Keep praying that all goes well. I need to get onto flight bookings and arrange time off work etc. Thank you all very much :pray:

AccountDeleted

Okay - I found a pretty good fare on Emirates airlines for around $2100 and it goes from Melbourne to Dubai and then straight to Birmingham - we avoid London all together! I like that, closer to Colwich (and Wolverhampton if I want to stop by and pay a visit) and I flew Emirates when I came back here last time - they are a great airline! The only drawback is my return flight to Melbourne gets into the airport at 2.05am ! :) That's okay because the shuttle bus to the city operates 24/7 - I just know how tired I will be, and I don't want to ask my sister to pick me up because she works during the week and it is a long drive to the airport - and at 2am! But there is a small inconvenience for a good fare and direct flight to the Midlands.

Anyway, the fare looks do-able so with the next two paychecks I should be able to book online. Now pray that this boss doesn't fire me for 'discerning religious life' - been through that once before - don't need it again :lol:

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1318249964' post='2319035']
Okay - I found a pretty good fare on Emirates airlines for around $2100 and it goes from Melbourne to Dubai and then straight to Birmingham - we avoid London all together! I like that, closer to Colwich (and Wolverhampton if I want to stop by and pay a visit) and I flew Emirates when I came back here last time - they are a great airline! The only drawback is my return flight to Melbourne gets into the airport at 2.05am ! :) That's okay because the shuttle bus to the city operates 24/7 - I just know how tired I will be, and I don't want to ask my sister to pick me up because she works during the week and it is a long drive to the airport - and at 2am! But there is a small inconvenience for a good fare and direct flight to the Midlands.

Anyway, the fare looks do-able so with the next two paychecks I should be able to book online. Now pray that this boss doesn't fire me for 'discerning religious life' - been through that once before - don't need it again :lol:
[/quote]

This is wonderful news; glad you were able to get reasonable fare.

Prayers for you!!

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Francis Clare' timestamp='1318255977' post='2319080']
That's what napkins are for :lol4:

Seriously, that's wonderful news! God DOES work in mysterious ways......
[/quote]

Did you know that 'napkins' in Australia means 'diapers' :P

For what the Yanks call napkins, we use the word 'serviettes' ! I kid you not!!!

LaPetiteSoeur

Serviettes is French for what americans call napkins! I love how there is so many differences within the same language!

Continued prayers for you, nunsense!

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1318252499' post='2319044']
Thanks everyone but don't stop praying - there is many a slip twixt the cup and the lip! :P
[/quote]

Wonderful!

Mary's Margaret

Wonderful news, Nunsense. My prayers are with you

and just to add to the confusion: in Canada, napkins and serviettes serve the same function, but napkins are linen and serviettes are paper.