An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vocation Station Check-In: Welcome To All The New Folks

Lisa

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1317681156' post='2314814']
We were supposed to go themorning before the Mass of Roses, but plans changed and we ate at the hotel.
[/quote]
:( That's disappointing.

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1317681286' post='2314816']
:( That's disappointing.
[/quote]
But I'm afraid I've led the thread to become :offtopic:

I've never even heard of po-boys, muffalatas or beignets! Also what is a Mass of Roses? I just have an image of a pile of flowers.

OnlySunshine

Welcome to all the newbies! :blowkiss: :wave:

I started writing out my discernment story, but realized it was WAY too long when it started filling up 3 pages on Microsoft Word. :hehe2:

To save you the trouble of reading that much, I'll give my short version. I've been discerning religious life off and on since December 2007 after I attended a young adult retreat with the Franciscan Friars/Sisters of the Renewal and the Sisters of Life. When I started discerning, I thought for sure that I was called to the Carmelite charism. I went on a vocation retreat with the Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus (Central Province) in August 2008 when my friend (who is re-entering in June 2012) invited me to discern there, but I didn't get to participate in much since I was having anxiety attacks everyday (the experience was so new to me). I thought that maybe I should check out other orders. I ended up praying for a sign in December 2008 so I could figure out where to discern next. I received information from the Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus (Northern Province) and the Religious Sisters of Mercy. Since I was blind to anything but the Carmelites, I contacted Sr. Immaculata and made arrangements to make a retreat there in February 2009. I loved it so much that I decided to apply in March 2009. I was asked to live with the Sisters from May 16th, 2009 to June 26th, 2009 so I could work in their apostolate and pay off my debt since that was holding back my entrance. I stayed there a total of 3 days and discerned that I was not called there, so I left and withdrew my application (I was never formally accepted).

I decided to attend a vocation retreat with the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal in January 2010 since I had known them from the beginning of my discernment. I loved everything about them, but I knew it was not to be because my circumstances prevented my entrance. I would highly recommend them to anyone, though!

After feeling a bit lost and disillusioned, I gave up for a while, but started discerning again in March 2011 when my new pastor invited some religious to speak at our Church. The Holy Spirit kept nudging me and I could not ignore Him. I spoke to my pastor about what I was experiencing and he agreed that I needed to keep discerning. At the time, I was considering contact with the Religious Sisters of Mercy since I was VERY attracted to them, but got off course again when I found out about the Sister Servants of the Eternal Word. I got in touch with the Vocation Director and had made plans to visit them this fall, but every prayer I made to find a way there was unanswered, so I discerned that it was not God's will for me to visit.

That's when the Religious Sisters of Mercy were presented to me yet again! Everywhere I went, I heard the word "mercy" and still do (the last one was on a shoebox for boots this past weekend :blink: ). The first devotion I learned about was Divine Mercy when I came back to the Church in 2007. It seems to be a running theme in my discernment. Anyway, I finally took the plunge and got in contact again with their Vocation Director (I'd done it before, but never responded after Sister replied). This time, I had to wait until after I went on a CRHP weekend and spent time in prayer in front of the Blessed Sacrament. I asked Him for patience and the wisdom to discern if this was the right order for me.

It was the day after I came back from CRHP that I heard from the VD and she invited me to discern on a retreat with them as soon as I could afford it. Again, I started praying for a way to get up there and posted my news on Facebook. One of my friends (and fellow parishioners) offered to pay the full fare to Michigan!!! I contacted the VD by phone and told her the very good news and I have made arrangements to visit them next month (November 11-14). I am excited beyond words and I cannot wait to finally meet them. Whenever I go to God in prayer about these Sisters, I have a sneaking suspicion that this could be THE order, but I have to wait until I visit to know for sure. :love:

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1317682140' post='2314823']
I've never even heard of po-boys, muffalatas or beignets! Also what is a Mass of Roses? I just have an image of a pile of flowers.
[/quote]

A mass in honor of st.therese held at the covington carmelite monastery.

Clare~Therese

Well I've been hanging around vocation station for awhile but haven't made a thread of my own yet. I don't know why though.

ANYWAY.
The short version of my short vocation story is basically, back in November 2009 I was at my maternal grandparents' house for some reason. Now, my maternal grandparents are the head of what you could call a rather stereotypical Italian-American family. I'd say they're pretty devout; one thing I find to be particularly notable is their great devotion to St. Anthony. So anyway, I was at their house pacing in their family room thinking about Christ Crucified as I do sometimes and my grandfather was sitting in his armchair as he often does.
Seemingly out of nowhere he asked me something like, "Have you ever thought about being a Poor Clare?"
He was referring to the ones in Rockford, of course, though at the time I didn't know they were there.
And just about the first thought I had was, "He's crazy!"
I didn't know much about religious life at that time either. I only knew about the Franciscans, Dominicans, and Carmelites, and that there were contemplative nuns and active Sisters. And I knew that the Poor Clares were one of the austere cloistered ones.
For weeks, though, what he said kept haunting me, and I wanted nothing to do with it. I finally came around a little while later and started to find the idea somewhat attractive.

Fast forward about half a year, and also a year and a half.
For the first time in 2010, I went to a vocation discernment camp in my Diocese named after St. Therese. It's three days long. There's Sisters there, we visit the Poor Clares, and lots of razzle dazzle stuff. I met a Carmelite of the Divine Heart of Jesus. When we visited the Poor Clares...Coolest. Thing. Ever. There was Benediction and Adoration; we were looking at their little gift shop thing and one of the externs, I suppose now, came out and greeted us. I just turned around and she was in the hallway; that scared me half to death. It seemed to me that Christ was radiating from everything and everyone there, so to speak. I had a wonderful time there. After I got home I couldn't shut up about it for days.

Also last year November 2010 the Diocese had a little nun run with myself and 4 other girls; we went to Missionary Sisters of St. Benedict over by Chicago somewhere. They were very sweet and had the cutest Polish accents ever. One thing I hope I never forget about it is, one of the Sisters starts waving at me as we're helping them clean up after a meal, and she says, "[i]Don't be so serious all the time[/i]!!" I like to have flashbacks to that when I'm being too serious about stuff. We also went to an assisted living home some Sisters were running somewhere around Janesville, Wisconsin. They were very sweet as well. One of them said something that made a great impression on me. I can't remember what now but I know I have it written down somewhere.

In March this year (I think? my memories are all fuzzy now) I went to the Here I am Lord Conference in St. Charles, IL. Bob Rice was there and a lot of other people. I met a Franciscan Friar of the Renewal, and I thought the guys there wearing habits were having a St. Francis look-alike contest until I realized they were Friars. Derp.

But then I had a struggle with scruples and discouragement for awhile, so religious life was at the back of my brain most of the time if I thought of it at all. I rediscovered St. Therese, St. Faustina, and Faustina's [i]Diary[/i].
Another time I realized that my "discernment" had become something of an obsession, so I seriously decided to back off for awhile and not think about it. I figured if God really wanted me in religious life, He'd "hit me over the head with something," as I put it (and yes I seriously phrased it that way when I made the decision).

So God decided to hit me over the head with several articles in the Diocesan newspaper about the Poor Clares and an advertisement for the St. Therese Shrine in Darien, IL (I don't know if I spelled that right). There was a lot more besides that, but I don't feel like typing out all of it. Actually went to the St. Therese Shrine; long story about that short, it was epic.

Summer rolled around this year, signaling that St. Therese Camp 2011 was going to start up, so I went; since his Feast Day was going to be during the camp, I prayed a novena to St. Anthony beforehand. His intercession came through in a big way. This time there were tons of Dominicans and Franciscans, not much else. Met some DSMME and Nashville Dominicans. This year I discovered St. John Vianney, St. Philomena, and the Brown Scapular (and no wonder, what camp named after Therese wouldn't give them out?). On Monday we went to a State Park and hiked/prayed the rosary. Shortly after the rosary was over, a Dominican Sister who was the leader of the small group I was in specifically asked me seemingly out of nowhere, "...do you like pondering things?"
And BOOM! I thought of the contemplative life right away, the Poor Clares..this life that terrified me but at the same time had me so fascinated that my intrigue rose above the fear. This mysterious ordinariness that they posses that is somehow also extraordinary.

That's all (for now), folks! I have to eat dinner. :)

TheresaThoma

Ok the quick version of mine.
I was not raised with any religion at all. Then I went to a Jesuit university in 2009 and met some amesome Catholics who introduced me to the Faith. Early in 2010 they also introduced me to the idea of Religious Life. I guess that is when my discernment began. Since I wasn't even Catholic at that point it got pushed off to the side, but never completely out of the way. Then in October 2010 I realized that I really need to explore the possibility further. My parents weren't to pleased with all of this which resulted me coming back home and going on a discernment hiatus. I didn't stop praying about it though and a couple of months ago I started actively contacting different communities. I'm starting to have pretty regular contact with 3 of them and I am super excited about it!

InPersonaChriste

hmm... My story isn't the most eyecatching or exciting one but I think that I shall add to this wonderful thread.

My brothers attended Minor Seminary and that was my first real encounter with religious life. The monks who ran the monastery were all so dedicated and loving. I really wanted to be a boy so I could go to seminary.

I met my first sister at a catholic camp. My father introduced us but she said hello and then had to leave straight away. Oddly enough, the feeling of her joy for serving God that I recieved in a handshake left such a large impression upon my soul that I still remember it! I started to look into religious life as an option at that point.

I also met with some Visitation nuns out of the blue in Chile. They were the most beautiful and joyous women I have ever met. That experience showed me how beautiful the Religious life is. The culture does put a damper on religious life.

After much praying I have finally contacted an order where I feel most drawn too. And I will be going to retreat very soon I hope!

Edited by InPersonaChriste

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Clare~Therese' timestamp='1317689275' post='2314892']
Well I've been hanging around vocation station for awhile but haven't made a thread of my own yet. I don't know why though.

ANYWAY.
The short version of my short vocation story is basically, back in November 2009 I was at my maternal grandparents' house for some reason. Now, my maternal grandparents are the head of what you could call a rather stereotypical Italian-American family. I'd say they're pretty devout; one thing I find to be particularly notable is their great devotion to St. Anthony. So anyway, I was at their house pacing in their family room thinking about Christ Crucified as I do sometimes and my grandfather was sitting in his armchair as he often does.
Seemingly out of nowhere he asked me something like, "Have you ever thought about being a Poor Clare?"
He was referring to the ones in Rockford, of course, though at the time I didn't know they were there.
And just about the first thought I had was, "He's crazy!"
I didn't know much about religious life at that time either. I only knew about the Franciscans, Dominicans, and Carmelites, and that there were contemplative nuns and active Sisters. And I knew that the Poor Clares were one of the austere cloistered ones.
For weeks, though, what he said kept haunting me, and I wanted nothing to do with it. I finally came around a little while later and started to find the idea somewhat attractive.

Fast forward about half a year, and also a year and a half.
For the first time in 2010, I went to a vocation discernment camp in my Diocese named after St. Therese. It's three days long. There's Sisters there, we visit the Poor Clares, and lots of razzle dazzle stuff. I met a Carmelite of the Divine Heart of Jesus. When we visited the Poor Clares...Coolest. Thing. Ever. There was Benediction and Adoration; we were looking at their little gift shop thing and one of the externs, I suppose now, came out and greeted us. I just turned around and she was in the hallway; that scared me half to death. It seemed to me that Christ was radiating from everything and everyone there, so to speak. I had a wonderful time there. After I got home I couldn't shut up about it for days.

Also last year November 2010 the Diocese had a little nun run with myself and 4 other girls; we went to Missionary Sisters of St. Benedict over by Chicago somewhere. They were very sweet and had the cutest Polish accents ever. One thing I hope I never forget about it is, one of the Sisters starts waving at me as we're helping them clean up after a meal, and she says, "[i]Don't be so serious all the time[/i]!!" I like to have flashbacks to that when I'm being too serious about stuff. We also went to an assisted living home some Sisters were running somewhere around Janesville, Wisconsin. They were very sweet as well. One of them said something that made a great impression on me. I can't remember what now but I know I have it written down somewhere.

In March this year (I think? my memories are all fuzzy now) I went to the Here I am Lord Conference in St. Charles, IL. Bob Rice was there and a lot of other people. I met a Franciscan Friar of the Renewal, and I thought the guys there wearing habits were having a St. Francis look-alike contest until I realized they were Friars. Derp.

But then I had a struggle with scruples and discouragement for awhile, so religious life was at the back of my brain most of the time if I thought of it at all. I rediscovered St. Therese, St. Faustina, and Faustina's [i]Diary[/i].
Another time I realized that my "discernment" had become something of an obsession, so I seriously decided to back off for awhile and not think about it. I figured if God really wanted me in religious life, He'd "hit me over the head with something," as I put it (and yes I seriously phrased it that way when I made the decision).

So God decided to hit me over the head with several articles in the Diocesan newspaper about the Poor Clares and an advertisement for the St. Therese Shrine in Darien, IL (I don't know if I spelled that right). There was a lot more besides that, but I don't feel like typing out all of it. Actually went to the St. Therese Shrine; long story about that short, it was epic.

Summer rolled around this year, signaling that St. Therese Camp 2011 was going to start up, so I went; since his Feast Day was going to be during the camp, I prayed a novena to St. Anthony beforehand. His intercession came through in a big way. This time there were tons of Dominicans and Franciscans, not much else. Met some DSMME and Nashville Dominicans. This year I discovered St. John Vianney, St. Philomena, and the Brown Scapular (and no wonder, what camp named after Therese wouldn't give them out?). On Monday we went to a State Park and hiked/prayed the rosary. Shortly after the rosary was over, a Dominican Sister who was the leader of the small group I was in specifically asked me seemingly out of nowhere, "...do you like pondering things?"
And BOOM! I thought of the contemplative life right away, the Poor Clares..this life that terrified me but at the same time had me so fascinated that my intrigue rose above the fear. This mysterious ordinariness that they posses that is somehow also extraordinary.

That's all (for now), folks! I have to eat dinner. :)
[/quote]

:hehe2:

Thanks for the chuckles. I love how God works and these little things happen when you least expect it. It certainly seems like you have received a lot of God-winks along the way and I can just imagine you entering the Poor Clare Colettines and taking the name of Sr. Mary Therese of Christ Crucified when you are invested in the habit. ;)

OnlySunshine

[quote name='TheresaThoma' timestamp='1317689711' post='2314899']
Ok the quick version of mine.
I was not raised with any religion at all. Then I went to a Jesuit university in 2009 and met some amesome Catholics who introduced me to the Faith. Early in 2010 they also introduced me to the idea of Religious Life. I guess that is when my discernment began. Since I wasn't even Catholic at that point it got pushed off to the side, but never completely out of the way. Then in October 2010 I realized that I really need to explore the possibility further. My parents weren't to pleased with all of this which resulted me coming back home and going on a discernment hiatus. I didn't stop praying about it though and a couple of months ago I started actively contacting different communities. I'm starting to have pretty regular contact with 3 of them and I am super excited about it!
[/quote]

I hope the RSMs are on the top of your list! :hehe2:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1317692018' post='2314937']
hmm... My story isn't the most eyecatching or exciting one but I think that I shall add to this wonderful thread.

My brothers attended Minor Seminary and that was my first real encounter with religious life. The monks who ran the monastery were all so dedicated and loving. I really wanted to be a boy so I could go to seminary.

I met my first sister at a catholic camp. My father introduced us but she said hello and then had to leave straight away. Oddly enough, the feeling of her joy for serving God that I recieved in a handshake left such a large impression upon my soul that I still remember it! I started to look into religious life as an option at that point.

I also met with some Visitation nuns out of the blue in Chile. They were the most beautiful and joyous women I have ever met. That experience showed me how beautiful the Religious life is. The culture does put a damper on religious life.

After much praying I have finally contacted an order where I feel most drawn too. And I will be going to retreat very soon I hope!
[/quote]

I hope that you are able to discern with the Benedictines of Mary, Queen of the Apostles very soon. They seem like such a beautiful order and, if I was called to monastic life, I would consider them. They radiate with the joy of Christ when they take their profession photos. :love:

Clare~Therese

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1317692366' post='2314940']

:hehe2:

Thanks for the chuckles. I love how God works and these little things happen when you least expect it. It certainly seems like you have received a lot of God-winks along the way and I can just imagine you entering the Poor Clare Colettines and taking the name of Sr. Mary Therese of Christ Crucified when you are invested in the habit. ;)
[/quote]

:lol: is right.

Yeah...for awhile these little God-winks, as you called them, were showing up [i]everywhere[/i]. It was crazy.
That would be razzle dazzle, but who knows what could happen next? Lol.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Clare~Therese' timestamp='1317694708' post='2314971']

:lol: is right.

Yeah...for awhile these little God-winks, as you called them, were showing up [i]everywhere[/i]. It was crazy.
That would be razzle dazzle, but who knows what could happen next? Lol.
[/quote]

I've had a few odd occurrences lately. I've learned not to rely in praying about signs because I would seek them out even though they weren't there. But things have been coming up randomly when I least expect it that keep reminding me of the RSMs. Like I stated above, I was trying on boots this past weekend and one of the boxes I picked up had "mercy" in the name. :blink: What a weird name for a boot! Everytime I see something like that, my mind immediately comes back to the RSMs and Divine Mercy. :hehe2:

Clare~Therese

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1317695589' post='2314982']

I've had a few odd occurrences lately. I've learned not to rely in praying about signs because I would seek them out even though they weren't there. But things have been coming up randomly when I least expect it that keep reminding me of the RSMs. Like I stated above, I was trying on boots this past weekend and one of the boxes I picked up had "mercy" in the name. :blink: What a weird name for a boot! Everytime I see something like that, my mind immediately comes back to the RSMs and Divine Mercy. :hehe2:
[/quote]

Lol!
That [i]is[/i] a funny name for boots.