An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vocation Station Check-In: Welcome To All The New Folks

Lisa

Mary's Margaret

"That [i]is[/i] a funny name for boots."
Oh, I don't know...I thank God for His mercy when it's minus 20C and my feet are toasty warm in their boots as I wait another 20 minutes for a bus since the first one passed me by. I have to admit to thinking some not so charitable thoughts on those days!

InPersonaChriste

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1317692571' post='2314945']

I hope that you are able to discern with the Benedictines of Mary, Queen of the Apostles very soon. They seem like such a beautiful order and, if I was called to monastic life, I would consider them. They radiate with the joy of Christ when they take their profession photos. :love:
[/quote]

Yes, I feel very blessed to have been in contact with them! They know of my spiritual director and he is under a priest who visited them in the fall.. So that was pretty interesting!

They do radiate joy!

Mary's Margaret

Hi Lisa. Thank-you for asking. After having "God winks" (images in prayer, 'words' from our Lord in the silence, 'coincidences' etc) over several years, I took it all to my Pastor (a Companions of the Cross priest) who discerned I had a call to religious life. This was wonderful, except I was 61 at the time! My first reaction was, "Lord, do you KNOW how old I am?"

During his annual retreat, Father discerned I not only had a religious call, but that I was called to form something new. This discernment of Father matched what I had been experiencing, but thought couldn't be true: who am I that the Lord would ask this of me? However, the Lord has drawn me deeper into silence and solitude and has written a deep concern for the souls of the dying onto my heart. So many people, including practicing Catholics, are facing death without the true knowledge of and trust in God's presence and design. In these times of the new evangelization, I've not come across anything about evangelizing the dying, yet that is what God is calling me to. So, I am discerning a call to form a community which would be deeply contemplative (Carmelite spirituality) and would take the fruits of that contemplation/deepening union with God to those who are at the brink of The New Life, or death.

On the eve of the Assumptions 2010, in a private Mass, I made private vows of poverty, chastity and obedience according to my state in life (I am divorced with one grown son). I presently work as a social worker at a drop-in centre for adults who live on the street or are under-housed and oft-times living with mental illness and/or addiction. Lately, I've been feeling impelled to move on, to take concrete steps into what God is calling toward, and this has been affirmed by my spiritual director.

So, toward this end, I am currently looking for a community that would take me in for a period of formation and further discernment. I had applied to one Carmel that seemed open to me, but their request to the Bishop was turned down. So the search continues.

Let me take this opportunity to say I've been greatly blessed by everyone here. I've heard of communities that were new to me (I'm in Canada, but am open to communities in the States) and am very uplifted by all the young women here who are excited about spending their lives for God. Thank-you for your open sharing: it's very encouraging, even to an old lady!

May God continue to bless you in His abundance.

A ministry to the spiritual needs of the dying . . . wonderful to see how the Spirit moves, inspiring people to offer themselves in a particular service that God wills to be done. How many both live and die without the helps of faith, without spiritual formation, without the love of God shown to them through a neighbor? So many are alone and in this kind of darkness, deeply in need of support in their journey home. Wish you strength and perseverence, Margaret's Mary, in living out the call God has put into your heart.

Mary's Margaret

Thank-you, Aya Sophia. I used to work in Palliative Care as a Stress Therapist and saw too many people dying without being reconciled with God. I also saw the difference between dying with the assurance of God's Presence and mercy and dying ignorant or rebellious. No one should face the end of this life without at least the opportunity to turn to God; nor should they die alone or in the midst of family tensions. Bringing a prayerful presence makes a significant difference to which even non-Christians are drawn.

Hope this isn't what's referred to as "hijacking a thread". If it is, my apologies.

Just noticed I called you "Margaret's Mary" :hehe2: ... [u]serious[/u] dyslexia

My hijack - my bad. I'll bring it back around by saying a little about self: was a Benedictine some years ago, then out for a long while until my beloved mother (memory eternal!) went to God then discerning again until entered Carmel last year. Left in Jan of this year (and of course the ques all ask is why I left but can't go into this in a public way - tried to for a blog post but can't!) DG, am returning, I hope in Nov (next month) but depends on medical stuff.

Voila! We're back on track . . . .

Edited by Aya Sophia

Well thanks for the welcome!

I'm new to pm, :)
I am not discerning. I was a member of a BEAUTIFUL community for 24 months before I discerned that I am not called to the religious life. I left my community a few months ago, very shortly before first vows. Right now I'm just sorting out where I belong and all that. I really just love the Catholic atmosphere here on Phatmass as its something I dearly miss from the religious life!

Mary's Margaret

Hi Clara. I'm pretty new here too and have found this to be a very comfortable, charitable, supportive, informative and humourous 'communty'. So, welcome. As you've probably seen, there are others who have made a journey similar to yours so I know you will find understanding and encouragement here was you find your new path. It takes a lot of courage and self-awareness to do what you've done. May God bless you with even more of the same to find your true place in His will.

Clare~Therese

Hi everyone!
That sounds beautiful, Mary's Margaret!
:)

Today I was at my maternal grandparents' house again (why does this kind of stuff seem to happen there all the time?) and while I was there, my grandparents' priest friend (I'll call him Fr. L) happened to call my grandfather on his cellphone and ask him if I was "keeping on track," whatever [i]that's[/i] supposed to mean...

:hehe2:
:rolleyes:

TheresaThoma

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1317692456' post='2314942']

I hope the RSMs are on the top of your list! :hehe2:
[/quote]

They are up there, I'm waiting to hear from the Sisters (RSMs) that live near me to see if we could set up a day for me to come and visit. I'm also hoping to go on retreat in January ( :cold: )with the Sisters of Mary Mother of the Church (HB's future community). I talked with the VD about my meds and she said it wouldn't be a barrier to a vocation with them! If I can get the ok from my parents and find the money for the plane ticket I'll be set. :bounce:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='TheresaThoma' timestamp='1317858999' post='2315822']

They are up there, I'm waiting to hear from the Sisters (RSMs) that live near me to see if we could set up a day for me to come and visit. I'm also hoping to go on retreat in January ( :cold: )with the Sisters of Mary Mother of the Church (HB's future community). I talked with the VD about my meds and she said it wouldn't be a barrier to a vocation with them! If I can get the ok from my parents and find the money for the plane ticket I'll be set. :bounce:
[/quote]

That's amesome! I am so glad to hear that your medication is not a hindrance. :woot:

I guess since I have joked AND gone off topic I am obligated to give my actual story. Here it goes. It's pretty normal soooo here's your nap time :) haha

Born as a first-generation Catholic. Baptized at 3 when my mom converted. She remarried after an annulment....yada yada yada....step-brother, half-sister.....blah blah.....never lived the faith out in our daily lives, attended CCD from 1st grade to 8th grade (normal time in our parish), attended mass every other Sunday or less, so I never really lived the faith out. Middle school is where I truly became secularized especially through my cast in the theatre company I was in. Eighth grade year comes, and that October my close close friend dies. That's when I started my rapid descent into deep mortal sin. I began fully denying God, took on vices, but kept it all quiet. No one knew. I went to mass every once in a while like we always did, but I was far away. That February I had a few strange things occured, then the youth minister at my parish signed me up for our Diocesean Youth Con. I went only because I had nothing better to do that weekend. The vocation recruiter goes up (Fr.Long, he is now my SD, Confirmation sponsor, & confessor) and I sort of ignore him, while hearing all he says. Then adoration comes that night. ALLLL the pains and other things I had been holding in poured out. I had my initial conversion. I cried that whole night. There was where I finally answered the call that was always in the back of my mind. But I didn't begin seriously discerning until that summer when I went to Steubenville. There (at adoration again) I FULLY answered the call and there I finally went to confession. That priest had ALOT to hear. It felt longer than an hour and the whole group was waiting for me to finish (my parish) . After that I gave up all the things that had plagued me. But I was very immature spiritually. I grew and grew and many challenges came including two deaths and another tragedy in one year (9th grade) but I didn't fall like I did before. Here I am now, 10th grade, confirming a year early, an aspirant for the Lafayette Carmelites. There's more to my story, but it'd be too long for this :) and I can't remember sometimes...like now... haha if you have any questions I'd be glad to answer.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1317865654' post='2315864']
I guess since I have joked AND gone off topic I am obligated to give my actual story. Here it goes. It's pretty normal soooo here's your nap time :) haha

Born as a first-generation Catholic. Baptized at 3 when my mom converted. She remarried after an annulment....yada yada yada....step-brother, half-sister.....blah blah.....never lived the faith out in our daily lives, attended CCD from 1st grade to 8th grade (normal time in our parish), attended mass every other Sunday or less, so I never really lived the faith out. Middle school is where I truly became secularized especially through my cast in the theatre company I was in. Eighth grade year comes, and that October my close close friend dies. That's when I started my rapid descent into deep mortal sin. I began fully denying God, took on vices, but kept it all quiet. No one knew. I went to mass every once in a while like we always did, but I was far away. That February I had a few strange things occured, then the youth minister at my parish signed me up for our Diocesean Youth Con. I went only because I had nothing better to do that weekend. The vocation recruiter goes up (Fr.Long, he is now my SD, Confirmation sponsor, & confessor) and I sort of ignore him, while hearing all he says. Then adoration comes that night. ALLLL the pains and other things I had been holding in poured out. I had my initial conversion. I cried that whole night. There was where I finally answered the call that was always in the back of my mind. But I didn't begin seriously discerning until that summer when I went to Steubenville. There (at adoration again) I FULLY answered the call and there I finally went to confession. That priest had ALOT to hear. It felt longer than an hour and the whole group was waiting for me to finish (my parish) . After that I gave up all the things that had plagued me. But I was very immature spiritually. I grew and grew and many challenges came including two deaths and another tragedy in one year (9th grade) but I didn't fall like I did before. Here I am now, 10th grade, confirming a year early, an aspirant for the Lafayette Carmelites. There's more to my story, but it'd be too long for this :) and I can't remember sometimes...like now... haha if you have any questions I'd be glad to answer.
[/quote]

Your discernment story is very much like mine, only you were younger than I was when you came back to the faith. I was 24 when I made a full reversion at a retreat for young adults after the Eucharistic Procession and touching the humeral veil. I truly felt like I was touching the cloth of Jesus like the woman in the Gospel. I heard the call to go to Confession and spent probably 30 minutes there just crying and pouring my heart out to the priest who was so sensitive to my spiritual needs. He consoled me, gave me absolution and I felt whole for the first time in my life. I knew deep down in my heart that Jesus was in the Eucharist. Though it was taught in CCD, I never really got it until then.

Anyways, I posted my full story several posts back if you want to read it. Prayers for you! :)

brandelynmarie
:cry4: Ok you guys...*sniffle*. amesome!

[quote name='TheresaThoma' timestamp='1317858999' post='2315822']

[/quote]

:bounce: Edited by brandelynmarie