An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vocation Station Check-In: Welcome To All The New Folks

Lisa

brandelynmarie

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1317900080' post='2316029']

What a story! Talk about signs... either you were really, really supposed to do that trip or you were really, really not supposed to do that trip :) Glad you survived and are (I think?) still working out your vocation.
[/quote]

So sorry I missed your comment from earlier! In talking to several people, we feel that (most likely) I was meant to be at one of those monasteries & that "something" was trying to get in the way. Sooo...in a way it worked temporarily & 5 years later, I am beginning again.:saint2: Please continue to pray for me & I am keeping y'all in mine. :)

Guest hermanita

I'm visiting the Carmelite Sisters of the Most Sacred Heart of Los Angeles for a week in November. I can't believe it's almost here. Pray for me. I've been waiting for the right time to get away.

[quote name='hermanita' timestamp='1318980245' post='2323400']
I'm visiting the Carmelite Sisters of the Most Sacred Heart of Los Angeles for a week in November. I can't believe it's almost here. Pray for me. I've been waiting for the right time to get away.
[/quote]

What week are you visiting? the171 and I are visiting two different orders (she is visiting the Lafayette Carmel and I am visiting the Religious Sisters of Mercy in Alma, MI). We are both visiting the same weekend of November 11th, so it would be neat if you were, too. ;)

[quote name='Pax_et bonum' timestamp='1318994574' post='2323492']
I'll hopefully be on retreat with the SSFPA that weekend as well! :nun:
[/quote]

amesome! :nun2:

Everyone is abandoning me in November! I guess someone has to pray for all of you while you are on these super amesome retreats. :hehe2:
So quick update I'm officially visiting the SMMC in January (have the flight booked and everything). I got a call from one of the RSMs whom I met in St Louis. Not sure why the vocation director forwarded my e-mail to her as I am no longer in Saint Louis. I need to get back to her though since I missed her call. The Cistercians are still on my "radar" but I'm not really sure about them. Other than that God is SO GOOD!!! :nun2:

Seems Nov IS [i]THE[/i] month! I'm hoping to go on retreat at the Mobile Visitation Monastery the first week of Nov on my way out of the US (trying to follow my own advice re: going on retreat just before entering) and when I spoke to Mother Margaret Mary she said THEY had a lot of retreatants coming in Nov!

Guest hermanita

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1318993135' post='2323481']

What week are you visiting? the171 and I are visiting two different orders (she is visiting the Lafayette Carmel and I am visiting the Religious Sisters of Mercy in Alma, MI). We are both visiting the same weekend of November 11th, so it would be neat if you were, too. ;)
[/quote]

I'll be there from Nov 6 through the next weekend. We'll all be on visits together..
Whee!! lots going on!!!

[quote name='hermanita' timestamp='1319049338' post='2323794']

I'll be there from Nov 6 through the next weekend. We'll all be on visits together..
Whee!! lots going on!!!
[/quote]

AVVESOME!!!! :woot: :nun2:

I am a 55 yr. old widow with 3 adult children and 3 grandchildren. In 2000 I joined a private association of the faithful that had a convent but was allowed to accept women who needed to still live at home. I went through the formation and attended all of the bi-annual meetings and made my private final profession of vows in 2004. In 2006 the large community started to loose Sisters who were in disagreement with the Foundress/Superior. We were called to Chicago to be under the Cardinal. However, after only a few months even our Superior wouldn't move there and we were now no longer an approved community in the church (she died a short time later). Two of us worked with the Cardinal and Vicar for Religious for 3 yrs., but just at the point of officially starting something new, I decided to end my time with "The Project" as the other woman had many problems. I joined a fairly new branch of a larger Papaly approved community for 8 months, however my experience showed me that this community would not expand and survive and I decided to leave. A sad story of knowing and being told by spiritual directors that I had a religious vocation but I was not finding the right community. I have moved back home, work and pray, renewed my association with the Secular Franciscan Order and am under spiritual direction with my parish priest. I have considered for some time private consecration as a consecrated widow and I have been in touch with Dr. Ronda Chervin and the Widows of Prayer in Appleton, WI who have a private association of the faithful. A public consecration is not allowed canonically yet but is being looked into by the Vatican. There are some Bishops outside of the U.S. that have performed public consecrations for widows however. I would like to discuss this with other widows on this site or on my Facebook page: Consecrated Catholic Widows. I have been told that Cardinal Burke and Cardinal Arinze are eager to know how many widows are interested in this, in order to possibly update Canon law and accept consecrated widowhood in the church. Thank you for this forum and may God richly bless you and your vocations.

I would like to have a discussion with other widows who have a late vocation interest. I found that as a mother and grandmother living in religious community does not usually allow much contact (letter, phone, email, visits) with your family and that is only one of the many obstacles for endurance for the widow as a Sister. I am discerning private consecration as a widow and would like to talk to other Catholic widows regarding this.