An Old School Catholic Message Board

Occupy Wall Street Baloney

Lil Red

Came across this website today: http://the53.tumblr.com/

What do you think of the whole Occupy Wall Street silliness?

Thus far it's much what we've seen elsewhere. Educated young people like myself who can't find a job in the current economy due to a system that was built upon a foundation of shifting sands and debt trade calculations that the mega-corporations themselves didn't understand. Reddit has been going at the protests from all angles, pro and con; one comment in particular comes to mind, "If you were protesting in suits and ties instead of looking like hippies, people would listen more."

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1317859720' post='2315832'] "If you were protesting in suits and ties instead of looking like hippies, people would listen more."[/quote]
and perhaps get a job? :hehe:(I meant since they look professional and all, they might score a job interview while they're down there. as long as they don't tell people why they are there.)

Maximilianus

I came across this, it's along the same lines

[url="http://campaign2012.washingtonexaminer.com/article/letter-new-york-city-protestors"]A letter to the New York City protestors[/url] by David Freddoso

Basilisa Marie

I admire that they're trying to do something about it, but I don't think it'll amount to any substantial change. I just don't see how any person in power as enough incentive to change the way things are.

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1317859785' post='2315833']
and perhaps get a job? :hehe:(I meant since they look professional and all, they might score a job interview while they're down there. as long as they don't tell people why they are there.)
[/quote]

I can understand not getting a job though. I'm really scared should I fail Qualifiers again and be kicked out...the last few times I was hired outside of grad assistant work it wasn't easy. During undergrad I'd literally applied 100+ places before McDonalds hired me, and that was only because the assistant manager and manager had a fight over it, because the manager thought I looked lazy. It took me months to find something when Circuit City went out of business. And over 400+ professional applications for various jobs entry level to higher around the country for stuff with my Masters and I never got hired; those times I was told anything I was told I was overqualified or underqualified. I had a three letter agency that will remain nameless hire someone with a GED for an entry level job over me for a Masters and tell me it was because I had a degree and they wouldn't hire someone with a degree for that position because they knew I'd move to a better position when I could.

Edit: We had a protest on campus that drew 20 people today.

Edited by BG45

Vincent Vega

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1317861190' post='2315841']During undergrad I'd literally applied 100+ places before McDonalds hired me,
[/quote]
Same here, and even then I had to quit after a week because they were not big fans of me (plus they were going to put me on the 10p-6a shift on the weekends, at a location in not the great part of town). I'm thankful that I've still got a long time left in school before I go out into the market. Maybe things will be better then.

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1317861889' post='2315846']
Same here, and even then I had to quit after a week because they were not big fans of me (plus they were going to put me on the 10p-6a shift on the weekends, at a location in not the great part of town). I'm thankful that I've still got a long time left in school before I go out into the market. Maybe things will be better then.
[/quote]

That's what I had hoped with my Masters. :( Really hoping I pass Quals and can get this PhD, it would be a few more years of school to shield me from the economy and then hopefully a job. Hopefully better than this [url="http://gizmodo.com/5671062/there-are-5000-janitors-in-the-us-with-phds"]Gizmodo article's claim that there are 5000 PhDs in the United States that are janitors for lack of available work.[/url] So here's hoping we both manage to find something!

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1317859720' post='2315832']
one comment in particular comes to mind, "If you were protesting in suits and ties instead of looking like hippies, people would listen more."
[/quote]
So, if you made yourself part of the system, the system would listen? That's self-defeating logic. I haven't been following this story (I should), but just on general principle protest is a good sign to me. It tells me human beings are still alive...it doesn't necessarily mean they have a clue, it just means they're alive. When I'm dying I don't want to see anyone in a suit and tie...it's probably gonna be the mortician.

"People in general are targets of big money markets
And are all disposable unless you come ready to work
Fully poseable with suit and tie
Ready to buy into the images
Of people claiming that money's what their religion is"

--Mr. Lif

Edited by Era Might

rizz_loves_jesus

I think it's great. I mean, it may not change much, but it's definitely a good way to show government and big business that we the people are tired of their behind-the-back deals. It's also a great opportunity to educate people about why our economy is currently in shambles.

Edited by rizz_loves_jesus

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1317859720' post='2315832']
Thus far it's much what we've seen elsewhere. Educated young people like myself who can't find a job in the current economy due to a system that was built upon a foundation of shifting sands and debt trade calculations that the mega-corporations themselves didn't understand. Reddit has been going at the protests from all angles, pro and con; one comment in particular comes to mind, "If you were protesting in suits and ties instead of looking like hippies, people would listen more."
[/quote]Bahahaha!!! I know, I know....they should definitely be wearing tri-corner hats with breeches and pirate blouses while beating a drum and playing a fife.

[url="http://lostinthecloud.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/tea_party_patriots.jpg?w=450&h=600"]http://lostintheclou...jpg?w=450&h=600[/url]

[b]That's[/b] how you're supposed to dress when you're protesting these things. Except you don't protest against the mega-corporations that hosed us with elderberries and got bailed out by the collective efforts of two different administrations. That would be class warfare. Instead, you protest the administration that did so [b]most recently.[/b]

Oh the Tea Party...I saw some of their politicians on the news last night denouncing Occupy Wall Street and saying "They hate the free market and therefore they hate freedom". Ironic given the real Tea Party threw tea overboard that belonged to the mega-corp of the day...