An Old School Catholic Message Board

Occupy Wall Street Baloney

Lil Red

Well, I have heard on the news that some labor unions are going to lend support to the protests, and the protests are going to spread to even more places, so we'll definitely need to keep an eye on this.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Socrates' timestamp='1318008844' post='2317485']
Not impressed. They really didn't stand up to anyone - just made a lot of noise and made themselves a public nuisance urinating in the streets and whatnot. "Wall Street" was not affected by the silliness, much less did the protesters gain anything for their benefit.
If they had an iota of sense, they'd be protesting Obama and the Federal Reserve (which was at the root of the economic collapse), rather than looking to the same corrupt and clueless politicians and bureaucrats to save them with more regulation and general government busibodiness.[b] At this point, punishing "Wall Street" won't do a thing to improve anybody's lot.[/b]

To be effective, a purpose and plan of action is needed; otherwise, it's nothing more than a tantrum.
[/quote]

Except for a few pizzerias.

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1318017865' post='2317590']
Adrestia and Nick already covered my points that I could've rebutted to lol. So props to them; Adrestia with the Herman Cain quote where he said "Don't blame Wall Street. Don't blame the big banks. If you don't have a job and you're not rich, blame yourself." And Nick by pointing out that it was a similar situation in so far as the government was propping up a failing corporation.

I find it fascinating that the media and people in this thread are ascribing goals to[b] this movement that has not yet decided on set goals for itself.[/b] As was stated earlier, people seem confused in interviews as to what they actually want. Some are for regulation, some are for a wider free market (or so I would assume given the backing of libertarian Republicans like Rep. Ron Paul), etc.
[/quote]

(the bold part) Is exactly why the movement is silly. At this point they don't stand for anything except camping out in streets to complain about poo. At least if they had a concise motive for protest, even if I didn't agree, it'd make sense.

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1318017865' post='2317590']
Adrestia and Nick already covered my points that I could've rebutted to lol. So props to them; Adrestia with the Herman Cain quote where he said "Don't blame Wall Street. Don't blame the big banks. If you don't have a job and you're not rich, blame yourself." And Nick by pointing out that it was a similar situation in so far as the government was propping up a failing corporation.[/quote]
It seems to me Cain is calling for people to take responsibility for themselves, rather than sitting around blaming others for everything - it's an attack on the current culture of victimhood and entitlement.

[quote]I find it fascinating that the media and people in this thread are ascribing goals to this movement that has not yet decided on set goals for itself. As was stated earlier, people seem confused in interviews as to what they actually want. Some are for regulation, some are for a wider free market (or so I would assume given the backing of libertarian Republicans like Rep. Ron Paul), etc.[/quote]
According to the original organizers of the protest, the radical leftist Adbusters, the chief demand is: " we demand that Barack Obama ordain a Presidential Commission tasked with ending the influence money has over our representatives in Washington" ([url="http://www.adbusters.org/blogs/adbusters-blog/occupywallstreet.html"]http://www.adbusters.org/blogs/adbusters-blog/occupywallstreet.html[/url])

In other words, they think expanding government power is the way to fight government corruption.

As is any mob, there will be people attending for other reasons, or for no real reason other than to make noise and raise hell, but at its core, this seems to be a leftist movement.

[quote name='Socrates' timestamp='1318118112' post='2318157']
According to the original organizers of the protest, the radical leftist Adbusters, the chief demand is: " we demand that Barack Obama ordain a Presidential Commission tasked with ending the influence money has over our representatives in Washington" ([url="http://www.adbusters.org/blogs/adbusters-blog/occupywallstreet.html"]http://www.adbusters...wallstreet.html[/url])

In other words, they think expanding government power is the way to fight government corruption.
[/quote]

this is incredibly stupid. The act of making bribes illegal is not "more big government" and just the same, something like making campaign contributions public, or trying to avoid appointing people with too vested an interest(like they should be) is not "big bad government". it just makes sense.

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1318123800' post='2318197']

this is incredibly stupid. The act of making bribes illegal is not "more big government" and just the same, something like making campaign contributions public, or trying to avoid appointing people with too vested an interest(like they should be) is not "big bad government". it just makes sense.
[/quote]
You don't think increasing the amount of money that can be legally donated can increase government power?

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1318124927' post='2318200']
You don't think increasing the amount of money that can be legally donated can increase government power?
[/quote]

did i say anything about increasing the amount of money that can be legally donated? im pretty sure i didnt.

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1318126344' post='2318211']

did i say anything about increasing the amount of money that can be legally donated? im pretty sure i didnt.
[/quote]
I read the post as saying making bribes legal. Don't be so testy.

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1318128030' post='2318229']
I read the post as saying making bribes legal. Don't be so testy.
[/quote]

Aint my fault your orphanage had an awful literacy program. maybe if your parents had loved you....

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1318128670' post='2318240']

Aint my fault your orphanage had an awful literacy program. maybe if your parents had loved you....
[/quote]
Maybe if your face loved you.

On the topic at hand: [url="http://www.presstv.ir/detail/203434.html"]US protests spread to over 1,000 cities.[/url]

And: [url="http://www.politickerny.com/2011/10/07/peter-king-disapproves-of-occupy-wall-street/"]“We have to be careful not to allow this to get any legitimacy,” he said, adding “I’m taking this seriously in that I’m old enough to remember what happened in the 1960s when the left-wing took to the streets and somehow the media glorified them and it ended up shaping policy. We can’t allow that to happen.”- Representative Peter King[/url]

Edited by BG45

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1318170856' post='2318513']
On the topic at hand: [url="http://www.presstv.ir/detail/203434.html"]US protests spread to over 1,000 cities.[/url]

And: [url="http://www.politickerny.com/2011/10/07/peter-king-disapproves-of-occupy-wall-street/"]“We have to be careful not to allow this to get any legitimacy,” he said, adding “I’m taking this seriously in that I’m old enough to remember what happened in the 1960s when the left-wing took to the streets and somehow the media glorified them and it ended up shaping policy. We can’t allow that to happen.”- Representative Peter King[/url]
[/quote]

Maybe we Catholics should join in the protests in order to protest the new HHS rules forcing mandatory coverage of contraception in insurance policies, as well as corporate support of immoral lifestyles (i.e., support of organizations that favor abortion, ESCR, and all the pro-gay stuff).

Clare~Therese

I don't really get it because it seems to me that hardly any people in this 'Occupy Wall Street' thing even know why they're there, except that they're protesting. But it's like they have no idea what they're doing, like they don't have a common goal or anything.

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1318123800' post='2318197']

[/quote]
Your face is incredibly stupid.

And you're incredibly naive if you think that political corruption will be ended by a commission appointed by the same corrupt politicians that were the cause of the problem. There's no reason to think that politicians and their appointed cronies will do anything other than act so as to increase and perpetuate their own power. (And if you happen to believe that Obama and his appointees are so Pure of Heart that they will act disinterestedly to fight corruption fairly and impartially without selfish regard for their own self-interest, simply imagine Bush or any other politician you don't like being in charge of the efforts).

It's the fox guarding the henhouse.

[quote name='Era Might' timestamp='1317862584' post='2315854']
So, if you made yourself part of the system, the system would listen? That's self-defeating logic. I haven't been following this story (I should), but just on general principle protest is a good sign to me. It tells me human beings are still alive...it doesn't necessarily mean they have a clue, it just means they're alive. When I'm dying I don't want to see anyone in a suit and tie...it's probably gonna be the mortician.

"People in general are targets of big money markets
And are all disposable unless you come ready to work
Fully poseable with suit and tie
Ready to buy into the images
Of people claiming that money's what their religion is"

--Mr. Lif
[/quote]
nothing wrong with being a hippie ;)
[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1317868408' post='2315886']
it would make more sense if there were some protesting going on on Pennsylvania Avenue as well.....
[/quote]
http://occupydc.org/

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1317930134' post='2316697']

but they are being backed by unions and Democrats (many of them are). :unsure: and now i can't find the link that talks about it. sorry!
[/quote]hey missy...nothing wrong with being a democrat either. :P