An Old School Catholic Message Board

College

the171

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1320624515' post='2332351']

This sub-area is anti-Catholic, and many if not most Catholics are not practicing/critical of the Church. New diocese means many problems. (Bishop P is only our THIRD bishop. Our first is still ALIVE. :D)

attend the Cathedral's 2:00 latin mass :D
[/quote]

Mine's not that old, either (only 50 years!). But Bishop P could put them in their place (have I expressed my love of this man? Let me do it again. He speaks four languages and is super nice).

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1320624821' post='2332359']

Mine's not that old, either (only 50 years!). But Bishop P could put them in their place (have I expressed my love of this man? Let me do it again. He speaks four languages and is super nice).
[/quote]

HE WILL FOREVER BE THE PRIEST AND BISHOP I LOVE. :)

[url="http://live.lcdiocese.org/our-bishop/bishop-provost.html"]http://live.lcdiocese.org/our-bishop/bishop-provost.html[/url] :heart: :love:

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1320548941' post='2332131']

Well, I might be graduating a year early. And I've just abandoned this to Him. He deals with it better than I. :)
[/quote]

Sounds good. Congrats (I think?) on graduating early - that doesn't happen in the UK so it sounds special :)

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1320662021' post='2332505']

Sounds good. Congrats (I think?) on graduating early - that doesn't happen in the UK so it sounds special :)
[/quote]

Well, if you have the number of credits you need, you can graduate early. :)

Considering that you are quite young, and we do change so much between the ages of 17 to 21. I think, especially as women, we learn about who we are as individuals. Being in a supportive learning environment, helps in this process also helps us to learn at more about ourselves and our world in relationship with our peers.

Community colleges have less of a financial consideration, Catholic colleges have more scholarship funds available, and you may qualify for a scholarship if your grades are good and there is financial need. If you were entering an active community, you would likely be attending college classes, basics and theology.

As a parent and an educator, I would highly recommend getting at least 2 years of college. It will change your life and perspective forever. If you have a vocation to Carmel, it will not go away, but grow even stronger. Ask the Holy Spirit to guide you, and blessings on whatever you do.

Edited by TIWW

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1320702499' post='2332782']

Well, if you have the number of credits you need, you can graduate early. :)
[/quote]

My IL neighbor graduated a semester early from high school...and became a Poor Clare!

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1320716950' post='2332977']

My IL neighbor graduated a semester early from high school...and became a Poor Clare!
[/quote]

Mother Regina at Lafayette, her mother received her diploma for her because she entered before graduation! haha

• 2 months later...
FutureSister2009

In the beginning of this thread, I said don't do college, now I say do it. Best thing I ever did by going. I do need more time in the world to discern my Vocation. I wasn't as sure as I thought I was. I even say that my friend should have gone too but it's not my place to tell her that. I'm very happy being at school and God will call me to where He wants me when I'm ready.

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1326469818' post='2368343']
In the beginning of this thread, I said don't do college, now I say do it. Best thing I ever did by going. I do need more time in the world to discern my Vocation. I wasn't as sure as I thought I was. I even say that my friend should have gone too but it's not my place to tell her that. I'm very happy being at school and God will call me to where He wants me when I'm ready.
[/quote]

One thing I feel I must say is that you can't really judge whether your friend should have gone to college or not. For her that may have been the right path. For you, it obviously would not have been. I don't mean to sound critical, I'm just saying that each discernment and each vocation is unique and what is right for you is not necessarily right for everyone else.

I went to university because I knew it was expected of me and I saw no other option. I've realised now that I don't like university and it makes me really unhappy. If I had been more open to my vocation when I was younger and discerned by the time I left high school that I was called, then I would have entered straight away.

Queen'sDaughter

I was a sophomore in college when I started seriously discerning, and for a time I considered dropping out of school in order to enter with an order I am no longer discerning with. I am so glad now that I didn't! Through college, I have gained maturity, solidified my vocation, and created lifelong friends who are even planning their weddings to make sure that I am able to attend! Had I entered before graduation, I would have been plagued with doubts, and would likely have ended up in the wrong community!

So for me, college was a blessing from God Himself, and I am deeply grateful to His shutting the doors that would have led me to leave school without finishing my degree.

With that being said, I must point out that the ONLY reason I can consider entering after I graduate is because I will have no school debt, none. School debt can delay a vocation for years. So each person must be prudent for his or her particular situation.

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1326471163' post='2368355']
One thing I feel I must say is that you can't really judge whether your friend should have gone to college or not. For her that may have been the right path. For you, it obviously would not have been. I don't mean to sound critical, I'm just saying that each discernment and each vocation is unique and what is right for you is not necessarily right for everyone else.

I went to university because I knew it was expected of me and I saw no other option. I've realised now that I don't like university and it makes me really unhappy. If I had been more open to my vocation when I was younger and discerned by the time I left high school that I was called, then I would have entered straight away.
[/quote]

EA I was in exactly the same position! University was always 'what I was going to do after school', but I hated it and dropped out so I could figure out if I should be a nun. It disappointed everyone at first, but I got work through my old Saturday job, found a little flat and got on with things. It's been two years since I left and... I have to say it really worked out. God is good :) I'm guessing you only have a year, or less than a year, left though? If you're reaaaallly close it might be worth it just to get that piece of paper! Hoping things work out for you too :blowkiss:

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1326487443' post='2368480']
EA I was in exactly the same position! University was always 'what I was going to do after school', but I hated it and dropped out so I could figure out if I should be a nun. It disappointed everyone at first, but I got work through my old Saturday job, found a little flat and got on with things. It's been two years since I left and... I have to say it really worked out. God is good :) I'm guessing you only have a year, or less than a year, left though? If you're reaaaallly close it might be worth it just to get that piece of paper! Hoping things work out for you too :blowkiss:
[/quote]

Luckily I know that I have to at least finish university. I have less than a year left, it would be foolish to leave now. I graduate this summer so it's not like I'm just starting my course and feeling this way. With that short time left it would be silly to leave because if I do not enter then I will need that degree. I've been feeling recently I need to spend some time in the world working after I finish anyway because I need that time to figure out if my attraction to religious life is a true attraction or just because I am so unhappy at university. I do believe it is a true calling, because I see the attraction and the calling in my life before university but I need that time to be sure.

Taking time to be sure does sound prudent. We should never make important life decisions from a place of....discontent, frustration...spiritual malaise. If you really are quite unhappy at school, some distance from that sounds wise.

Fr. David Engo, FFM has some great reflections on vocational discernment that should help to encourage how to approach some of these questions.

[url=http://www.franciscanbrothersminor.com/FBM/Discernment_Part_VIII.html]If not now, then when?[/url] -- In this one, he discusses the difference between a legitimate obstacle to following a vocation right now...and delaying because of procrastination or fear.

[url=http://www.franciscanbrothersminor.com/FBM/Discernment_Part_X_-_Age_Discrimination.html]Age Discrimination[/url] -- Here, he is openly critical of some of the decisions vocation directors in other communities make, or the advice they give. I think he has a very healthy approach to what matters about being 'ready' to enter religious life, so it might be helpful for someone considering whether to enter right away or to delay a short while. But, I do not think his reflections are meant as advice the way talking to a spiritual director would be.

As for the thread-starter....you have some time yet before graduating high school. I would stay in communication with the Carmel you are interested in entering, and continue to discern with them. Go ahead and explore college options, and even apply. The 'moment of truth' won't come until May 1st of your senior year, when you will have to reply to a school who accepted you, saying you are coming....or...not.

The reason I suggest you look at colleges and apply is because it would be easy to say 'I'm not going to college' and just blow the whole process off. But, you probably owe it to yourself and to your parents to invest the time into exploring your options. Is there a community college near you? Or some other school that offer 2 year associates degrees? How would you pay for one of the private Catholic colleges you named? What would you study in college? These are all questions to ask, and things that can be discussed with those college counselors who are putting you through the wringer ;).

That way, if you decide [i]not[/i] to go to school, but rather to work or enter upon your high school graduation, then you will have had all the information at hand and gone through it carefully before reaching that decision. It won't be a knee-jerk 'But I don't want to go to college!' decision. And....if you do decide upon attending college, you'll have done the research and picked the program that is best for you. So, win-win.