An Old School Catholic Message Board

College

the171

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1326574669' post='2369031']
I stand by my opinion. I'm not changing it.
[/quote]

"In a higher world it is otherwise, but here below to live is to change, and to be perfect is to have changed often." - Blessed John Henry Newman.

I discovered this quotation on a little card in the student chaplaincy during my undergraduate years. You do remind me quite a bit of myself when I was your age. I am also prone to stubbornness (it can be a very useful thing to have, as I'm sure you know - it leads to loyalty and persistence). But sometimes it conceals a lack of trust, maybe some personal pain.

We are all designed differently and what God gives to one, He does not necessarily give to another. You must trust that He will give your friend what she needs in exactly the same way that He gives you what you need, although those things might not be the same.

Could it be that you find it a bit painful to see your friend as a sister? It seems that you have gone from wanting to be like her to wanting her to be like you, when really you each need to be your own separate selves.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

I think that the college things differs depending on God's will for the person. The Carmel I am most interested in requires either work experience or two years of college so that you know what the adult world is like before you jump in. I don't know how it will work out for me in the end, but right now I feel the most inclined to enter as soon as allowed and as I am sure of my vocation as I get older. I don't think there is a wrong or right choice on going to college before becoming a religious, I have heard from experienced people who are for both sides, and I truly believe it depends on God's will. I see pros and cons to both situations.

Edited by FutureCarmeliteClaire