An Old School Catholic Message Board

Am I Normal?

photosynthesis

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Jul 11 2005, 11:16 PM']It was hard for me to focus in afterschool CCD classes, especially since the other kids made fun of me and the teacher never did anything about it.  She asked me to leave, and the DRE catechized me with a smaller group of kids.
[/quote]

My response has nothing to do with the subject but it is something that needs to be said.

I am sickened by how you were treated by your CCD teacher for two reasons. One the obvious is that "Catholics" shouldn't treat each other that way. Two I am a teacher (substitute) and my first and pretty much only rule IS NO ONE MAKES FUN OF ANYONE. This is my pet peeve.
The absolute second I hear one child start making fun of another child IT GETS DEALT WITH. I DO NOT ALLOW IT. I DO NOT ACCEPT IT. I DO NOT PRETEND I DON'T HEAR IT. I DEFEND THE CHILD THAT IS BEING CRITICIZED.

I substitute at the same schools so the kids know me. Unless there is a new child in the class there is no criticism. Because the children that I have taught over the years know what the response is going to be. My question is to the child being nasty is "ARE YOU PERFECT, IF YOU ARE NOT PERFECT MIGHT I SUGGEST THAT UNTIL YOU CAN FIX YOUR OWN LIFE YOU KEEP YOUR OPINIONS ABOUT whatever the child's name is TO YOURSELF...THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!"

I was not defended when I was in school either. And the saddest thing for me is I was taught by nuns. And some of them made fun of me as well. Because of that I have determined that as long as there is breath in my body and I am still teaching IT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. God has entrusted these children to my care (if only for the day) and I will defend them.

To whoever is reading this if you or someone you know is not being defended in school you have a right to question why not.
For the simple fact that if I as one -person can do it, we all can do it.

Photosynthesis your experience would have been SO DIFFERENT if I had been your teacher. And I feel the need to apologize because we are not all like that.

Edited by ofpheritup